• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: After the Rain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Can we just stop and talk about how amazing the soundtrack is in this show? It seems to always come about at the right moments to make scenes even more powerful. This show has me captivated and it explains so much within the time-frame of 20 some minutes. I can't wait for more!
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
So far, this show has been a really pleasant surprise. I hope that this series continues to impress, and not turn into anything cringe worthy. One of my top favorites this season, along with another pleasant surprise, "A Place Further Than the Universe".
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Shinigami-Seishou wrote:
Can we just stop and talk about how amazing the soundtrack is in this show?

I have not paid much attention to the soundtrack because I have been distracted by the great visuals, but the music meshes well with what is happening in the screen.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was beautiful. Everything...the visuals, the music, the dialogues... I was a little worried when I first heard the premise for this show, but it's become one of my favorites of the season, and it's just begun.

Also, seriously...the ED song by Aimer is spectacular. Just gotta throw that out there.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Ahahaha...Gabby is no doubt one of my favoriate reviewers here, she ain’t afraid to point out what is wrong and certainly does not hold back if she loves something soooooo much.

Seriously though....that patlabor joke in the end of review is great.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I actually think the visual here is better than Violet Evergarden. So far at least.
It's that the visual treatment in After the Rain connects a lot and builds up the atmosphere for the the character and story developments. How it sometimes hints at and foreshadows characters' personal state of mind or past.

But I might just better not comparing Laughing just in my opinion.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It looks like I was right on the money in terms of Akira's obsession with Kondo stemming from her lost love of track.

You make it sound like that wasn't made obvious in the first episode. oO (Speaking of which, why was she going to a chiropractic clinic for an ankle injury?)

Quote:
Honestly, the most concerning thing about Kondo's conduct is that he seems enamored of his ability to influence a young woman.

I don't know where you're getting that. When he thought, "My casual remarks are affecting someone's heart," he sounded shocked and not a little horrified by the responsibility of that. His following, "I don't remember the last time that happened either," even with the springtime-of-youth change of scenery, it sounded more like, "That's never happened before," rather than nostalgic for a time when it had. Even if it was actually plucking a pleasant memory for him, he certainly wasn't getting off on the idea.

To me this hawk-like hyper-vigilance against the slightest misstep seems really overblown, and it's really tedious to read. Just calm down and wait till the story screws up before taking it to task before it even happens.

Btw, I can't express just how much I appreciated that Akira's clothes didn't become transparent in the rain. Maybe it's just because they figured a 45 year old man wouldn't get too flustered by a glimpse of a bra under clothes, but I like to think they wisely chose not to undermine the moment and her dignity.
kryten2x4p

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
The subject of love between a child and an adult with a significant age gap is not new. The story of After the Rain could be likened to the somewhat relatively unexplored story of Otonashi (nee Chigusa) Kyoko and Otonashi Souichiro in the manga and anime 'Maison Ikkoku' by the great Takahashi Rumiko. spoiler[ They were at least 20 years apart in age and Kyoko was a student of Souichiro while in high school when she began to fall in love with him. While she enamoured herself to him they didn't engage in a relationship until after her graduation and eventually married. This happened in the manga 35 years ago! ] It's hardly shocking in this day and age.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
To me this hawk-like hyper-vigilance against the slightest misstep seems really overblown, and it's really tedious to read. Just calm down and wait till the story screws up before taking it to task before it even happens.

I kind of sympathize with Gabriella - not because I have the same concerns that she does - but I recognize what's going on with her. She likes the show and she is dreading the possibility it might go in a direction that she doesn't like. Her "hyper-vigilance" is a very natural human reaction of steeling oneself for the unpleasant. Let's hope her fears prove to be unfounded.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I completely agree, and would have commented something similar had you not beaten me to it. This walking-on-eggshells style of review is really starting to grate on me, to the point that I will most likely stop reading these reviews in the future if it continues. I get the reasons, really, I do, but that doesn't make it not annoying, and, quite frankly, excessive.
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I completely agree, and would have commented something similar had you not beaten me to it. This walking-on-eggshells style of review is really starting to grate on me, to the point that I will most likely stop reading these reviews in the future if it continues. I get the reasons, really, I do, but that doesn't make it not annoying, and, quite frankly, excessive.

Giving additional agreement to these sentiments, and will also add my own two cents.

I hope this ends with the two falling in love and getting together. Do you know why? Because it's fiction, it's fantasy. it's not real, and I don't see what's "problematic" about this story eventually moving into more romantic territory.

Do you know who else wants them together? My wife, who is obsessed with the 'chasing older men' fantasy. Also, her group of female friends who all additionally hope that the main characters of this series hook up.

All of them are adults with healthy relationships and are able to make the distinction between a fictitious work of romance and reality.

I know that there are worries about the content becoming "problematic", but please understand that it's okay to have such fantasies while also making the distinction that it wouldn't be as okay in reality.

I don't understand why there's this belief that even having forbidden love stories such as this is a serious problem that will somehow cause us to regress as a society.

A lot of women are into this, and men to a lesser extent. We are enjoying the gorgeous visuals, storytelling, and the tantalizing forbidden love.

I can understand the reviewer's personal feelings on the issue, but I don't know if I'll be able to continue reading these reviews if we're going to be dissecting whether or not Kondo has become a creeper yet in every episode. "Okay, he isn't completely creepy yet, but X may become problematic..." please don't do this. Sad

Also, she's SEVENTEEN! It's highly likely they could have a slow build up and she could be eighteen before anything happens at all.

Whether they get together or not, I don't care in the end as long as the quality stays this high. But for all that is sacred, can't we just enjoy this show as a romantic piece of fiction?

It's not like we're watching Koi Kaze, or that it's a thirteen year old middle school girl pining after the man.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get this off my chest.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
kryten2x4p wrote:
The subject of love between a child and an adult with a significant age gap is not new. The story of After the Rain could be likened to the somewhat relatively unexplored story of Otonashi (nee Chigusa) Kyoko and Otonashi Souichiro in the manga and anime 'Maison Ikkoku' by the great Takahashi Rumiko.

There's also Card Captor Sakura. spoiler[Fujitaka, Sakura's father, married Nadeshiko, who had been his student, at her age of 16. Not to mention Yoshiyuki, teacher and in his mid-30s, and Rika, Sakura's schoolmate aged of 10 at the beginning. If there was any doubt about the latter couple, she receiving a ring from Yoshiyuki in the manga should blow those out...]
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Aki_Leaves wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Giving additional agreement to these sentiments, and will also add my own two cents.

I hope this ends with the two falling in love and getting together. Do you know why? Because it's fiction, it's fantasy. it's not real, and I don't see what's "problematic" about this story eventually moving into more romantic territory.

Do you know who else wants them together? My wife, who is obsessed with the 'chasing older men' fantasy. Also, her group of female friends who all additionally hope that the main characters of this series hook up.

All of them are adults with healthy relationships and are able to make the distinction between a fictitious work of romance and reality.

I know that there are worries about the content becoming "problematic", but please understand that it's okay to have such fantasies while also making the distinction that it wouldn't be as okay in reality.

I don't understand why there's this belief that even having forbidden love stories such as this is a serious problem that will somehow cause us to regress as a society.

A lot of women are into this, and men to a lesser extent. We are enjoying the gorgeous visuals, storytelling, and the tantalizing forbidden love.

I can understand the reviewer's personal feelings on the issue, but I don't know if I'll be able to continue reading these reviews if we're going to be dissecting whether or not Kondo has become a creeper yet in every episode. "Okay, he isn't completely creepy yet, but X may become problematic..." please don't do this. Sad

Also, she's SEVENTEEN! It's highly likely they could have a slow build up and she could be eighteen before anything happens at all.

Whether they get together or not, I don't care in the end as long as the quality stays this high. But for all that is sacred, can't we just enjoy this show as a romantic piece of fiction?

It's not like we're watching Koi Kaze, or that it's a thirteen year old middle school girl pining after the man.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get this off my chest.

Thanks, all three of you.
This reaction (not only here) took me by surprise. I was happily expecting this anime to start airing and see people talking about it... but not this way, not to see irate people almost wanting to burn it to the ground. Even more when some other "problematic" series didn't received the same treatment.
All this time I was holding back in trying to argue about but because english is not my native language I feared that I would only add to all this stress.

Blanchimont wrote:

There's also Card Captor Sakura. spoiler[Fujitaka, Sakura's father, married Nadeshiko, who had been his student, at her age of 16. Not to mention Yoshiyuki, teacher and in his mid-30s, and Rika, Sakura's schoolmate aged of 10 at the beginning. If there was any doubt about the latter couple, she receiving a ring from Yoshiyuki in the manga should blow those out...]

The second example in Sakura is not really comparable if the character takes that child seriously.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The other "problematic" issue that's been cited, namely that Kondo is her boss, also fails to raise any red flags for me. She initiated it, and in fact got the job expressly to be around him, and there's not the slightest hint that he is or would (or even could) use this "power" over her for sexual harassment purposes. Neither her job, livelihood, nor career aspirations are on the line if she refuses him, and there's zero potential for him to use their unequal power dynamic in this working relationship against her. She's not in any way vulnerable to him because of his status as her boss, which is the requirement for sexual harassment abuse.

I could see some cause for alarm if they'd gotten Kenjiro Tsuda or Houchu Ohtsuka to voice him, but I trust in the goodness of Hiroaki Hirata's reliably goofy tones to keep this on the right track. ;D
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this show hasn't raised any red flags for me as it feels more like it's exploring the mentality that could lead to a 17 year old developing a crush on an older man, which is something that does happen fairly often in real life. So far, the romantic aspects are from her perspective and the fact he's so un-cool seems more like it's meant to be comical than anything creepy. (I don't think most adults like to picture themselves as someone like that, at least! Not exactly a power fantasy, lol) I probably won't finish this to the end, as it's not really interesting enough to me, but I'm actually kind of glad it's free of the type of mentality that a lot of shoujo with imbalanced relationships tend to have in order to skid around it, normally by having a "... but he's actually nice, really! you just weren't there that one time!" type of plot or by trying to make you forget about whatever the problem was entirely by never bringing it up again.

That said, it seems quite a lot of people did dislike the age gap aspect of this show, so I don't really mind aspects like that being brought up briefly in the review. It seems like a central topic of discussion around this show itself, so it would be a bit odd to simply ignore that aspect of it all of the time.

Quote:
This reaction (not only here) took me by surprise. I was happily expecting this anime to start airing and see people talking about it... but not this way, not to see irate people almost wanting to burn it to the ground. Even more when some other "problematic" series didn't received the same treatment.

That last part is what surprised me the most about the reaction to this show. I admittedly was bothered by another recent show with an age gap (although for reasons that go way beyond just the age gap in that case), but that series didn't seem to cause anywhere near the same level of backlash as I've seen After the Rain receive, which makes me feel a bit like I got flipped upside down. I guess part of it could be that this one is aiming to be more realistic than a lot of other shows?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 31