• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: After the Rain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryutai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Nah, male gaze shots are when the camera reaches out, pulls you by the lapels and says, "here! Look! Check out these gams/breasts/butts!"

Okay, but I don't see any male gaze shots of this kind in this show. Also when we see Akira's legs and feet, it's more something evocative of what she is feeling. For example, I adored when she danced for the happiness to go on a date with Kondo. The focus on her feet is also given to show the contrast between her emotions, and her scar, that is both physical and emotive.

Quote:
I'm very glad to hear the show is delivering on female-oriented service, though.

I can't speak for all women in general, of course, but I believe many women share my feelings.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
That's one of the advantages of the fact the show is adapted from source material written by a woman. I assure that if it had been written by a man, it is unlikely we would have seen a clothes sniffing scene.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
[...] Your "worst fears" about how this story will progress are unfounded.
No, they are not, because the harm has already been done and the impression is given that the damage was self-inflicted.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just feel the need to perform an extensive background check on its dream daddy as the story goes on. It's a dangerous world out there for sad and horny teenage girls.
The reviewer is, unbeknownst to her, a few steps away from making a great case for bringing back chaperones to dating culture.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:
I just feel the need to perform an extensive background check on its dream daddy as the story goes on. It's a dangerous world out there for sad and horny teenage girls.
The reviewer [...]
You're quoting Gabriella Ekens from her episode 3 review. She wrote that near the end, just above the side-by-side comparison -with pictures- of one particular character from Patlabor and one character from this series.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:
The reviewer [...]
You're quoting Gabriella Ekens from her episode 3 review. She wrote that near the end, just above the side-by-side comparison -with pictures- of one particular character from Patlabor and one character from this series.
You're quoting the wrong context, as it was written after this

Quote:
Maybe I'll get to that if next week doesn't require me to write another thousand words of disclaimers and rabbit trails, which it probably will. I promise that I do enjoy this show

And has little to do with the Patlabor comparison.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

If you know Patlabor, and Goto, you HAVE to understand the joke there.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Chrysostomus wrote:

If you know Patlabor, and Goto, you HAVE to understand the joke there.
The joke is this Patlabor character is a creep who likes 17 year old girls?
Cordelia LeFay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Episode 4, and while there are many things to like about this show, it does really concern me about where it's going.

I relate to Akira's feelings that boys closer to her age are jerks to her or they're immature or she just doesn't like them.

That said, Akira seems to think being in love with an older man is going to solve all her problems--he's nice to her, he seemingly takes care of her--as if him being older means she'll get to skip all the heart break. She seems to like Kondo because nobody can take that away from her.

Akira doesn't seem to have any aspirations other than running and her relationship with Kondo, and as much as we like to say this show is "realistic," the idea that Akira has no plans for herself outside of running and Kondo, seem really unrealistic. I'm hoping this will be addressed in the show, because it's a big question mark right now. Even if Akira's dream is to be a SAHM, she might not be able to do that being the wife of a cafe manager.

And one thing I keep coming back to, if they pursue their relationship, in seven years time, Yuto will be 17 and Akira will be 24. Like, Akira won't be able to magically escape her cohort by getting involved with an older man.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the impression that Akira thinks being in love with an older man is going to solve all her problems. First, I don't think she thinks of his age as either a positive or a negative... it's simply irrelevant. I get the impression that if he had been 17, 25, 35 or whatever and did what he did at that particular moment in her life, she would have zeroed in on him.

As for her lack of aspirations... we are catching her at a time in her life when she's just trying to cope, never mind suss out the future. Running is closed off to her and nothing else has popped up as an alternative, yet. Which is fine. She's young and has plenty of time to figure out what her goals might be.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
I linked the whole episode 3 review and pointed out where the quote could be found within. Provided visual reference. The intention not to separate but rather to connect. Connect what came before with what came after. To see if we’ve progressed or regressed since the era of chaperones you alluded to - with Patlabor as a waypoint. Depictions of men and women before Patlabor and After the Rain. The suggestion was made that Patlabor might have lent aesthetics and at least one character, by design, to the series presently airing. What else might Patlabor have provided besides visuals?

Earlier in this thread you were searching for target audiences - for Gabriella Ekens’ reviews and for the series. [Shōnen] series Patlabor might provide some guidance in those contexts. While immersed in the story and also when we take off the shoes of the characters, politely place them by the entrance to his apartment and take a step back from the perspective we're given through her eyes.

If the family restaurant manager is modelled on Gotō then who could be Akira’s Patlabor equivalent? Which of the Patlabor characters most closely resembles Akira? If there is such an equivalent for the character of the waitress whom the original audience might recognise while watching, in what respects does Akira differ from the comparable character from back then? How was Patlabor itself a departure from what came before 1988? Did its designs and themes have lasting impact, on the media in which it was first presented and on the society in which it first appeared, in 1988? Have the Patlabor series and its original audience aged well?

Chaperones.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
The joke is this Patlabor character is a creep who likes 17 year old girls?

Don't be like that, you're doing no one good, especially for yourself.
If you know Patlabor don't be this cynical.
If you don't know Patlabor, then it's a good opportunity to it recommend for you.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
Ryutai wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Nah, male gaze shots are when the camera reaches out, pulls you by the lapels and says, "here! Look! Check out these gams/breasts/butts!"

Okay, but I don't see any male gaze shots of this kind in this show.

There was the hilarious phallic symbol shot with Ryousuke Kase, where it depicted his male fantasy of Tachibana in some kind of coital situation, and then cut back to reality just in time to show him splurting his fresh cream over the unwanted banana dessert he made for her.

I absolutely agree with you that the show is certainly drawn according to an aesthetic that looks like many josei or shoujo manga, but at the same time it is definitely published in a seinen anthology, Big Comic Spirits. I think that it's a romance that can appeal to either men or women, and various shots in the show can be romantic to either. (Then again, neither I nor my wife think that "male gaze" is a problem in a show, nor is it particularly avoidable. Ikuhara's works are full of male gaze.)

Amazon Prime seems to be having a slight issue with the latest episode, indicating that it is not available in the US.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
[...]
Amazon Prime seems to be having a slight issue with the latest episode, indicating that it is not available in the US.
Latest - as in upcoming in a few hours * (JST) or as in previous?

* Aired as scheduled.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
At the end of their "by chance little date", leaving the library with the book that "found" them, we see a not very subtle symbolism for suicide:

what.does.this.mean?
It's like they both are dealing with depressive thoughts...

Last edited by Panino Manino on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 31