• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Record of Grancrest War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
To be fair, Rossini was established to be evil in episode 1 and regarding the assassination attempt, it was actually Theo who made the first move by going out of his way to declare war at him at the bal (he basically said ¨hey bro, I am coming for your land¨), it wouldn't surprise me if that was actually an intended effort o bait him into attacking them so they could have just cause, the only unforeseen part being to be attacked while the marquis was visiting
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

That CGI at the ball was an eyesore. It reminds me of how in older animation if anything was going to move, it had that look to it. You know, where it wasn't blending into the background.

Count me as another person that wonder if Alexis' feelings are returned on the same level. Hopefully the show will go over that at some point.

This show continues to be something that I just watch every week which is a shame, since I really enjoyed episode 5.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
Apparently Alexis missed the glance of withering contempt Marrine shot him while he was swooning during the attack. I kinda feel sorry for him.

Yeah, I agree with Milo's take that Rossini being evil wasn't just a shortcut, and Theo openly baited him. And if he wasn't evil, it would kinda shoot Theo's whole raison d'etre in the head, or at least make him look like a power-hungry dick (where his homeland is concerned) instead of the righteous hero.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Read some spoilers by mistake... spoiler[word of warning, if you remember the airport scene on White Album 2, take that and turn it up to 100 and you're getting a taste of the future. Neutral]

Edit: I edited your spoiler for you. You say you read some spoilers by mistake and then deliberately post one yourself? How about you not do that. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101
catstigereye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
This anime has gone sour! It’s slow pacing and even slower background pacing is insanely painful. I mean they have hinted at this and that and now feel the need to go see? SEE? Sigh..
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm all confused by the multiple names & titles everyone has--are we sure that Villar isn't the Earl of Arturk/Altirk? Because I thought that's what Alexis referred him as when he nominated him as leader...which he really should have asked him about first,btw.

Alexis and Marrine's Romeo and Juliet love story was ridiculous in a lot of ways, from Alexis' love-at-first-sight obsession and extremely cheesy pick up lines ("I've known the word "love", but after seeing you, for the first time, I now know what it means" Just. Wow.) To Marrine proposing marriage on their third (?) meeting, after rejecting him every other time she saw him. I wouldn't read Marrine as "selfish" as much as practical, reflecting her born-to-rule upbringing and education in ways that understandably take issue with Alexis' Flower Child ideals. She was flattered by his attention, but how much did she think his political ideals could be implemented? And why didn't anyone try to convince her that going through with the marriage after the assassination would have been the most politically expedient move? Don't let the anti-peace terrorists win! That's probably the most tragic part of their romantic tragedy--their union was most likely opposed the most by people who benefit from continued wars between the Union and the Alliance, and those assassins are now getting exactly what they want because Marrine feels that she has to uphold her late father's pride above all else. You can tell she feels bad about it, in the close-ups of her facial expressions, but that prideful political agenda that she was probably taught was most practical overwhelms her romantic regrets and (perhaps) moral doubt. It's sad.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Epsiode 9:

Quote:
Milza says it's simply something allies do before going to war together. (Yes, I'm sure he does this with every last soldier he leads on the battlefield.)

I think Milza is thinking the same thing as Marrine here, rather than claiming this is just a thing allies do. Some of the translation is flimsy, but his actual lines in Japanese seem to make it clear he's demanding this as a symbol of her making a clear break with Alexis.

I do think it odd that I feel like I know a lot more about Marrine and her character's motivations and emotions than those of our main couple. Her one-night stand has a lot more compelling characterization than the lovey-dovey main couple's relationship, which mostly seems to be driven by "because they're the main characters" logic.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Epsiode 9:

Quote:
Milza says it's simply something allies do before going to war together. (Yes, I'm sure he does this with every last soldier he leads on the battlefield.)

I think Milza is thinking the same thing as Marrine here, rather than claiming this is just a thing allies do. Some of the translation is flimsy, but his actual lines in Japanese seem to make it clear he's demanding this as a symbol of her making a clear break with Alexis.

That would make a bit more sense at least since i kept wondering if he actually f*cked Villar while watching that scene which was quite... distracting. Wink

Quote:
I do think it odd that I feel like I know a lot more about Marrine and her character's motivations and emotions than those of our main couple. Her one-night stand has a lot more compelling characterization than the lovey-dovey main couple's relationship, which mostly seems to be driven by "because they're the main characters" logic.

Agreed. I like them well enough as "partners in crime" but couldn't care less about their romance (for now).

Overall this show is starting to give me a bit of a Game of Thrones vibe which isn't entirely a bad thing.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
Ick the whole thing just a mess! Uncollectable! Mess of a anime!
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
At this point, I feel all of the continent's problems would disappear if Aubeste would just f***ing die.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm hopeless. I couldn't stop thinking about the poor horse they left out in the rain. Smile Does Siluca have no fire magic at all? Seems like lighting a campfire would be Magecraft 101...
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well this exactly ain't perfect anime in some regards well character & pacing wise, especially the beginning episodes. This is rather good. Theo may be a "insert character" he does show some personality and he does know what he is going against. Although one gripe is the villains such as the Black Witch & the Vampire guy and the lack of screen time & the whole Chaos.
I have been getting into a lot of political anime such as Heroic Legend of Arslan, Lord Marksman & the Vanadis, and Shokukou no Altair. [/u]
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Well that was a doozey of an episode. On one hand, I absolutely loved the moments between Theo and Siluca. They are pretty adorable. Then the scene with Marrine happens and it just made me feel incredibly gross. Sad Hoping Milza dies slowly and painfully.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:09 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Yeah, I felt like that was made very clear. Milza wants someone dedicated to unifying the continent. He wanted proof of her resolve so he forced her to choose between her goal and her love.

I was a bit surprised how much attention their sex got though when the scene just quickly swapped away from the two leads.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10,

Seriously, they introduce a guy who is basically a cross between Shakespeare and Leonidas and then kill him off in the same episode? That was a waste. It feels odd that all these smaller nations are just attacking piecemeal, you would think they would coordinate a bit more, but then they are all pretty diverse in their personalities so doing things their own way does make sense.

Also, you would think the prince and other lords would take some action now that the alliance has actually invaded them, you can't push to keep up peace talks when the enemy is actively trying to destroy you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10