• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Record of Grancrest War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12,

So now Theo wants to get Alexis and Marrine together. The problem is that I don't really like either of those individuals. Marrine could have united the continent just by marrying Alexis in the first place, he's so in love with her she could easily have taken the lead and basically ruled with him just supporting her, but instead she decides to conquer it instead because somehow that is a better idea. And she's willing to commit war crimes or whatever else in order to win.

Alexis is the opposite, but not in a good way. He has no backbone and after Villar died he was ready to role over and let Marrine take over before his lords shut him down. He's basically done nothing this whole series, just sits on his ass dreaming about Marrine while his people are getting conquered and killed. Having them get together for some fairy tale happy ending right now just wouldn't sit right with me cause they don't deserve it.

And in the mean time there's the chaos/darkness/demons etc that are threatening the world that hasn't even shown up yet. The whole point of this was humanity is supposed to unite under the crests to fight off the evil threatening the world but by the time that happens it looks like most of humanity's armies will have ground each other down through infighting. I think it would be pretty funny that at the end of the series a huge army of darkness shows up and wipes out the winners of this war cause no one was around to stop them from growing in power and and there arn't enough people left to fight them.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
don't try to tell me that Sistina isn't a fantasy portrayal of Italy

I would say from the map that they finally showed that Sistina is more precisely a fantasy portrayal of Sicily, which makes the Mafia analogy even more obvious. The entire map is very clearly a fantasy portrayal of Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Ep 13,

I feel like the issues I had with the show previously haven't gone away. Characters get introduced and removed way too quickly (Rebecca for example, the only named character in the village he left is introduced and killed in the same episode). Also, the werewolf twins were in like one episode up until now, and barely had any screen time, same with the priestess and tattoo girl, I don't even remember their names at this point we've seen so little of them. Now they're back but it doesn't feel like this is some cohesive party of adventurers because the side cast hasn't actually done or said anything significant other than a say few short lines and get a few scenes in the battle. Most of the focus is on the main duo.

Then there's the bad Rossini family, mustache twirling villains with nothing really interesting about them because they're so blatantly being painted as the bad guys. This Rossini family lets chaos demons run freely through their lands to prevent their own people from banding together, they burn villages down as warnings against possibly helping the enemy, they steal money and let people in their favor steal money. They even punished Theo's village after they turned his father over to them. How the heck is there any form of government, infrastructure or economy in this land? How the heck have they managed to rule for generations without completely ruining their territory? The story is trying to paint them so evil that it just makes them a caricature rather than fully fleshed characters.

And final minor plot hole complaint. At the end of the episode, Theo is surrounded by enemy Soldiers while the bad guy is running away, then after Rebecca gets stabbed all the enemy Soldiers disappear somehow and he instantly catches up with the bad guy. I'm guessing he instantly killed all the Soldiers around him or something? Or maybe they just got bored and walked away, we'll never know.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:16 am Reply with quote
This show needs to slow down.

You have plenty of source and an exposition here or there wont kill you. Neither will giving the side characters....character.

Otherwise it's a passable nation building story. Not as good on the fantasy front as Lodoss, but i can't name an anime that is (or atleast one that takes itself seriously).
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
"In two short episodes, Theo got the job done with no main ally casualties. Everything happens so easily for him that it's hard to root for him as the underdog any longer."

I agree, everything seems too easy for him that is boring, how is possible he conquers a whole country in two epi with common people! Insane
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:25 am Reply with quote
Omg, he actually killed the horse! I always feel bad for the horses in war stories like this, but really, if you're on foot and someone is coming at you on horseback, the only real choice is to put the horse down. And yet that almost never happens, at least in anime wars. I think the only other time I've seen it was in Kingdom, and those were the horses spearing themselves on cheval de frise. Maybe Berserk lopped off a head at that castle siege.

Did it seem to anyone else that Aishela's reaction to being told to capture the black witch was kinda weird? Like she looked down without replying for a long moment before acknowledging the order and leaving. Siluca even seemed to notice too. I wonder what that was about?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Ep 15,

You know, I keep hoping that there will be a mix up in the formula and something unexpected happens like Milza actually winning the upcoming battle or something.

But given how the show has gone so far, Theo is going to give some rousing speech, get a natural 20 on his charisma roll and inspire whoever happens to be in his general vicinity to fight, then will promptly win the battle and Milza will say something like "how could I lose to this guy" and then either die, get captured or run away. Basically the same result as pretty much every other conflict Theo has been involved in.

Oh, and I wonder if we'll every figure out what the heck that black witch woman was trying to accomplish or who she was. Although given how many other side characters have died in this series, never to be heard from again, that might be it for her. It was not so subtly hinted the Academy is behind the whole thing so we'll probably find that out later.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
^ No, I think black witch will be back in some form. Again there was a weird moment, with Aishela sadly bidding her goodbye in the dungeon, so there really seems to be some unfinished business going on there (if it was already mentioned before that they were old acquaintances or childhood friends or something, I missed it as it zoomed by along with everything else in this).

And it was really odd that they took time for a whole scene for Siluca to get whatsisname's approval to run the meeting, and then she barely got to say a word. Was there a point to that?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
^ I think it was to show that she was doing her normal political thing, but then Theo kind of went and stole her thunder. Though, it did seem to me that the meeting got off track (the track that Silica wanted, anyway) almost immediately. However, the outcome was still basically what she wanted and what Theo wanted. Still, it does seem as if they aren't working as much in lock-step as they had been before going to Theo's homeland.

As for Aishela, I wouldn't be surprised if the Black Witch was related to her in some manner. They definitely seem to have some past history with one another. Also, I'm thinking that the mage's association has some Stuff going on behind the scenes: the Black Witch was definitely used and silenced. Silica's a bright girl, though, and seems to be getting suspicious about that angle.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with Theo, but I hope he's not becoming tainted by the power he's accumulating. We'll have to see how things go between him and Milza, but that possibility bears keeping an eye on, IMO.
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:03 am Reply with quote
I was going to ask if this show had slowed down and stopped looking like a direct adaptation of a roleplay campaign, but it looks like it hasn't. What a massive disappointment.

Looks like it'll be a textbook example of why pacing is so important.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16

The women get naked and the dudes get really motivated. I guess that makes sense, but I still can't believe that actually happened. The soldiers not wearing their armour for the (possible) battle doesn't seem like a good strategy to me though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
seriously, this series feels like someone who was throwing together ideas events for a grand adventure and decided to shove them all in. Nothing makes sense. Theo starts the episode defending in a castle, Milza goes away for few days during which time Theo casts the tier 10 spell "summon army" and suddenly has 50,000 men, and not just random peasants and militia, they all looked like they were fully armored and trained. Where the hell was this army when they were attacked in the first place?

Then in Haman, they suddenly create a slave uprising in a foreign country and get all the slave Soldiers on the other side to revolt after their side strips naked and gives some random speech and one spy running around their ranks yelling a few things. The viking army then packs up and leaves without even fighting.

Then Lassic shows up with 30,000 more men at the end. I have no idea how to compare army sizes anymore. How many men does Milza have? He invaded one small kingdom with just 7,000 earlier in the episode. How many does he have total? 20,000? 30,000? It doesn't even matter cause Theo will just create a new one next episode anyway, he tends to do that a lot.

If you tried to explain what was happening in this episode to someone who hadn't seen it they would think you were trying to summarize an entire season of game of thrones.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:26 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Lassic appearing with an army of his own, I thought Milza had a weirdly amused reaction to it. Is there some devious reason for his reaction or was that just a "now this is a worthy challenge" face?
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The last mage/lord interaction in this episode is by far the most unusual. Laura convinces Lady Eudokia to get naked in front of her troops in order to raise their morale (and I'm certain that's not all she raises).

Chuckle quite hard at that part Very Happy Overall i am personnaly quite enjoying every episode and cant wait for the next one really happy this got a 2cour else the story would have felt even more rushed and simply left you hanging

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
ep 17,

Some of the funny parts of this ep

-Son of the theater king (the guy who looked like a somewhat interesting character, showed up and then immediately died in the same episode) shows up and loses so quickly they didn't even bother to show his fight, just him talking about how he's going to die, then the bodies of his men as the enemy rides over them. At least he's still alive, whatever his name was, I don't remember.

-Telius the "brilliant strategist" rides with Milza, fighting through several small armies then attacking a walled, fortified camp where the archers shoot at them as soon as they leap over the wall and calls it a "devious, underhanded strategy" that must be Siluca Meletes doing. Since when is shooting arrows at an army charging your stationary fortifications a devious strategy? Granted, since most strategies in this series have just been "charge the enemy" I guess it can be considered devious.

-When Siluca is begging Theo not to fight Milza 1v1 he says "it will work out" and I was cracking up cause I was thinking poor Milza doesn't stand a chance, for he does not possess the legendary plot armor of the main character. Even Siluca says after the fight that strategy doesn't matter, just whether destiny is on your side, which describes the situation pretty well (destiny = plot).

I did find it somewhat interesting that Theo says that Milza is weaker because he used his crest to strengthen his Soldiers, so ironically Milza partly lost because he supported his Soldiers, instead of using his strength for himself only. Given that the whole point of the story is Theo winning through supporting people and having them support him it was a bit of a weird twist.

Anyway, Marrine seems to be the only major player left on her side now. I wonder if the series will end with her defeat or if the chaos demons or whatever will show up in time to get defeated by Theo as well. Given the pace of the series I could see either one happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10