• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Was it just me (or my monitor), or were the cuts on 02's fingers from her gnawing at her nails red instead of blue? Maybe she is becoming more human?

And did I correctly interpret them to be saying that Hiro's licking her blood as a child is what enabled him to pilot with her as an adolescent?
Mojave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

And did I correctly interpret them to be saying that Hiro's licking her blood as a child is what enabled him to pilot with her as an adolescent?

That's what I took away from it as well. Although it also seemed like they were saying that same act is what caused him to become unable to pilot with anyone else.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Not to mention that, even in the off-chance that piloting with Hiro would work out, where would that leave Goro? It's one thing if she doesn't reciprocate his feelings, it's not her obligation, but given that parasites with no partner get offed, what Ichigo did was shitty from any point of view. Besides, I thought part of the point of the Goro-centric episode was to have Ichigo start to get over her feelings for Hiro. Wasn't that the symbolism of replacing the hairpin she got from Hiro? The episode is just a huge step backwards with the characterization and contrived melodrama

The Goro centric episode was all about Goro coming out about his feelings for Ichigo. That was it. Goro doesn't expect Ichigo to reciprocate and in fact she doesn't. She doesn't in the episode where she saves him, and she doesn't when they're in the city getting the medals. So in no way has Ichigo ever let go of Hiro. It's only during the beach episode where she reluctantly accepts 02 because she sees Hiro being well with her. But she doesn't trust her. So how people can see any movement of Ichigo towards Goro baffles my mind because nothing in the previous 13 episodes hints at that.
This time she made her move AFTER 02 was sent away (and she had no influence on that either since it was a decision of the higher ups). So she did nothing wrong and finally expressed her fealings for Hiro explicitely (she tried in one of the first episodes and that came out clumsily, and she tried again during the beach nigh walk and was interrupted). Not this time. She grabbed the occasion and rose to the challenge. Unfortunately for her she will get shot down because 02 is Hiro's soulmate. And being shot down is what will enable her to get over her unrequited love and then move to Goro.
It's actually a well done character arc.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The book we had left with was of a tragedy, and there had been subtle hints of a story like Shakespeare's tragedies, considering how something like Romeo and Juliet ends to what happened here. It was loved that caused it, Ichigo used it to separate the two, and she did not realize what she was getting in between, she would not even listen to Hiro either. It only made sense that Hiro would try to escape, because he had seemed to have regained a part of him that he lost, which spilled over at the moment they really started to see how much it was eating up Zero Two.

But the thing is, Hiro didn’t even try to explain why he wanted to talk to Zero Two. I mean, he could have said something like,

Ichigo: We’re keeping you away from Zero Two.
Hiro: Wait, you don’t understand! She and I might have met when we were kids!
Ichigo: What?
Hiro: I don’t know for sure, but that’s why I just wanna talk to her.

If he had said that, and Ichigo still shot him down, then his sneaking out later would’ve been justified. But no, all that happened was,

Ichigo: We’re keeping you away from Zero Two.
Hiro: Okay. *sneaks out*

He didn’t even try to explain himself, and it was so frustrating. I feel like half of what happened could’ve been avoided had he simply spoken up.

Quote:
Sure it was not nice for Zero Two to act out like she did, but she had really been pushed too far. She had been treated like a monster regardless of her nature, even these kids were pretty much locking her up in a cage, not unlike the adults that tortured her in the past. This time it was pretty much hurting her very soul, and made up of years of pain to get here. Years that she ignored the damage she did to partners so that she could be "more human". Years that she always felt like a monster regardless of what she did. They underestimated the sheer weight that was weighing on Zero Two, as they underestimated the real connection Hiro had would try to get to her, and it cost them, in turn costing her a bit of what made her human.

But they gave her the chance at the beginning to explain herself. Most of them were saying, “That’s not true, right, Zero Two?” They were willing to give her the benefit of the doubt so she could make a case for herself. But she didn’t deny the accusations, she didn’t answer their questions, she didn’t apologize for putting Hiro in the hospital, she didn’t give them any indication that she legitimately cared about Hiro’s well-being and was not just using him for her own benefit. No, all she did was straight-up ignore them and say, “It’s none of your business.” She had her chance to clarify things at least a little, but she blew it. What happened afterward she had brought entirely on herself, IMO.

And the thing is, writing wise, there was no reason for any of that to play out that way other than to force the drama in order to move forward. The separation could’ve still happened, just not in the contrived way it played out here.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
MY problem with this situation is that Ichigo KNOWS that Parasites who can't pilot get disappeared, they made an exception for Hiro ONCE, but he's at the end of his usefulness now unless he's with 02. By splitting them up, and keeping them apart, she's effectively doomed him unless they can SOMEHOW make an excuse for him being a backup pilot, despite being unable to connect with anybody else.

What a stupid, selfish, shortsighted little BRAT.
That is an issue with this episode since it makes it look like Ichigo hasn't considered the consequences of what would happen afterwards. Unless she has some incredible plan it looks like she is betting Hiro's life on the possibility that they can pilot together even though it didn't work the last time. Ichigo has been shown to be a bit selfish in past episodes but in this episode she looks like a very selfish person.

Scherzo wrote:
At the same time though, I think it's a bit suspect that Ichigo would just accept Alpha-9's explanation at face value. Sure her going rampant probably gave credence to it, but he is so obviously untrustworhy it just seems a bit silly.
Well as the audience we can see that Alpha-9 is manipulating Ichigo in order to turn her against Zero Two. Still he told Ichigo exactly what she wanted to hear which is why she was happy to take it at face value.
Crext

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
This is what is being described as "contrived." The conflict you describe could be presented in a way that doesn't rely entirely on some crazy coincidence, but that would require their actual feelings coming into conflict with each other, rather than using miscommunication and bad luck to build the conflict.
Speaking of contrived plot points... I find it ridiculous this story wants the audience to accept that Hiro can only pilot with one pistil in the entire world because of ambiguous reasons that don't apply to anyone else. Why, exactly? Because he met 02 ten years ago and made a childhood promise with her? So he needs to have "strong feelings" for a pistil to make it work? No one else has to play by this rule. We've seen that Mitsuru and Ikuno can get the mech moving and they are about as dry and joyless as a failed marriage. We saw that, up until a while ago, Kokoro hid behind a mask of deception and appeasement and yet they still made it work. So why only Hiro?

Probably because such a situation is very ripe for drama, I guess.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Speaking of contrived plot points... I find it ridiculous this story wants the audience to accept that Hiro can only pilot with one pistil in the entire world because of ambiguous reasons that don't apply to anyone else. Why, exactly? Because he met 02 ten years ago and made a childhood promise with her? So he needs to have "strong feelings" for a pistil to make it work? No one else has to play by this rule. We've seen that Mitsuru and Ikuno can get the mech moving and they are about as dry and joyless as a failed marriage. We saw that, up until a while ago, Kokoro hid behind a mask of deception and appeasement and yet they still made it work. So why only Hiro?

Probably because such a situation is very ripe for drama, I guess.

On this, I believe Mojave is correct in saying that Hiro licking Zero Two’s blood when they were kids is what caused Hiro to only be able to pilot with Zero Two and no one else. Ingesting humanoid klaxosaur seems both unambiguous and only applicable to Hiro.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
On this, I believe Mojave is correct in saying that Hiro licking Zero Two’s blood when they were kids is what caused Hiro to only be able to pilot with Zero Two and no one else. Ingesting humanoid klaxosaur seems both unambiguous and only applicable to Hiro.
Oh derp. That's what I get for not reading.

I guess it also explains how his blue cancer was healed too. It didn't cross my mind since the piloting of a Franxx is a very unsubtle metaphor for sex but... licking knees? What the hell does that have to do with sex? Once again, it's amazing how this anime is extremely blatant with its metaphors but then has nothing to say about any of its supposed themes.

I also love how it's taken 14 episodes to go nowhere, no major plot yet and no antagonist. Everything is back to square 1.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:

uhhhh I DEFINITELY would not go that far. its only the western fanbase that is moaning about ep 14!

so far i haven't heard a peep out of the japanese fanbase for if they had a problem with that ep, they would certainly let them know! (ala oreimo style death threat letters and other BS that would put someone here in the US in jail!) and luckily for the franxx committee, nothing as of yet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
uhhhh I DEFINITELY would not go that far. its only the western fanbase that is moaning about ep 14!

I realize that we as a community seem to be trying to willfully ignore that this show is similar to previous, thematically-dense mecha shows Wink ... but when a show is intended for an audience of entrenched fans, how can the Western anime community muster up anything more than a collective "meh" when predictable-in-hindsight melodrama occurs?

(Reminds me of how disappointed people were about Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress "going downhill", when you could have seen that show's plot trajectory coming a mile away.)

Come on, this is a multi-coeur mecha show, barely believable out-of-character actions in service of the plot are the genre's bread and butter!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
... licking knees? What the hell does that have to do with sex?

Exchange of bodily fluids?
iCards

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote
After the week the staff is going to have with fans on social media i imagine it will be sooner more so than later.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Zero Two never makes any effort to get to know Hiro. When they were kids, her inability to properly communicate coupled with the memory manipulation turned him into nothing more than a vague darling concept rather than a complete individual. The people around her are treated as either expendable stepping stones to her goal at worst and utter indifference at best.

She feels Hiro may be her darling, but he fails all of her tests and behaves in un-darling-like ways. Flinching at her fangs. Reeling her in when trying to kill klaxosaurs. Telling her that killing klaxosaurs won't make her human. Telling her that she loves her "as she is" when she's going to change form. Letting her reach such a volatile emotional state in the first place.

She's spent around 13 episodes with Hiro and essentially knows next to nothing about him. She's treated him in the same manipulative, mentally and physically abusive manner she's treated all the rest of her stamen partners, as a means to an end. Because she takes the book as gospel, she doesn't rightfully blame the adults for taking her darling away, she blames her own inhumanity, leading to insecurity and self-loathing.

Presumably, APE dangles the carrot of "kill klaxosaurs to become human" in front of her to control her. The change in her appearance provides enough of a grain of truth to her so that she buys into it to the point of obsession.

However, as a side effect of this, she kills her stamens. This has a number of consequences. It increases the perception of her as a monster, in both her own eyes as well as everyone elses. Even though she's obtained the freedom to mingle and interact with others, she's prevented from doing so by her own nature. She copes with this by dehumanizing others. They're not "darling-like", therefore they're fodder. This feeds into the notion that only darling will care for her, so there's no point in caring for others. They're sacrifices so that she can reunite with darling.

Then comes a heavy revelation in 02's mind. Even though she's found her darling, she's not yet human. Because of this, she ends up realizing the fate prophesied by her book. By some miracle, Hiro survives, but 02 now is faced with the impending reality that unless she becomes human, she'll end up reenacting the scenario sooner rather than later.

This all culminates in her trying to kill him as just another fodder stamen. When she finds out Hiro really was her darling all along, the reality of what she was moments away from doing only makes her self-loathing that much stronger. She hates herself and because she has no understanding of what it means to be human lacks the ability to empathize with and connect to others in a healthy manner

Zero Two at this point in the story is an extremely broken, objectively awful, unhealthy individual who is only capable of forming unhealthy relationships. She has been the same manipulative, abusive person the entire series. It is only at the end of episode 14, when she screws things up for herself worse than ever before, does she finally begin to accept the consequences of her years of horrible monstrous behavior believing she doesn't deserve to be happy.

She finally begins to grasp that it was not her appearance that made Hiro call her a monster, but her behavior, her actions. She doesn't protest or try to make excuses. She's accepts her punishment with grace. It is only at this point in the story that her character development can finally begin. When she can start to learn and understand what it means to be human and potentially find real happiness.

The power of a name and how it can humanize a person has been a consistent motif from the beginning. The viewer hears the term darling, initially thinks of it as a term of endearment, only to learn over time that it's more in line with the number identifiers, something used to lessen humanity and individuality. The fact the Zero Two has never once called Hiro by his name is quite telling.

There will most likely be a sequence wherein she calls out to him perhaps calling him Darling at first only for him to not respond, forcing her to reconsider what she calls him, and what it implies, before finally calling him Hiro which in turn will indicate she's beginning to see and potentially show concern for him as an actual person, with humanity and individuality rather than a vague character concept from a story book.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:

He didn’t even try to explain himself, and it was so frustrating. I feel like half of what happened could’ve been avoided had he simply spoken up.

And the thing is, writing wise, there was no reason for any of that to play out that way other than to force the drama in order to move forward. The separation could’ve still happened, just not in the contrived way it played out here.

Hiro being a doormat is half the problem in this series. It was okay for the first few episodes, but man, he's more worthless and generic than normal for this genre. He is like an even pansier version of Shinji except there's not even the emotion there. Just a blank slate getting blanker every episode.

This past episode and the Zero Two leaving is the most contrived and under developed shit I've seen in a series in a long time.

@Hikaru Suzuhara wrote a novel which was quite complex and an interesting read. I would've watched that story, that would be a good story, that's not what is shown on the screen. That is what is extrapolated by superfans trying to rationalize the story. There is too much reading into scenes. They did not convey this emotion or this story very well on screen. I'm a writer by trade and this had the potential to be a very good story but it's just not told with cohesion. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 124