• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Pop Team Epic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
Japanese copyright law is very, VERY strict. Ghibli is one of the strictest when it comes to protecting their property. The mosaic was done in order to make sure the image of Pipimi as Totoro wouldn't raise any red flags and get the episode in trouble. This is actually done quite a bit in anime, with another method being a black bar over the parody character's eyes.

Isn't that why the first episode of Osomatsu-san was pulled from streaming sites? It was mostly one big idol parody, and was so close to some other existing idol series that they didn't want to get sued.

I saw on another site that people were confused why Pop-chin was allowed to smoke, while Jotaro in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (who was like, 17-18 at the time) had to have the entire lower half of his face blacked out.

Yeah Osomatsu-san's 1st episode officially doesn't exist anymore, not even on the Japanese blu-ray.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Really like this, not enough to rematch the same thing twice (I just skip to the stuff I think are gonna be different, the VA skits was great), but it's a ton of fun.

Half the joke don't land, but who care when the next joke is only 10 seconds away.
shterraarson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
Personal favorite jokes so far:

1. Are you upset? I'm not upset

2.Do it.

3.Felt cut outs, idol song

4.Attack of the POPU-CLONES

5. 7:00am Rage

6. I AM GOD

7.Feeding pigeons
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, count me as one of the people who simply doesn't get this show. I generally try to give shows at least 4 episodes before dropping it if I don't like it. A few shows have gotten 2-3. Pop Team Epic is, and likely will always be, my personal record holder of how fast I dropped it. I couldn't even put up with half of an episode.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
Ya got to be seasoned to get the jokes. Its full of obscure references you had to live through.

You aren't missing much, explaining them is a waste of time.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
Joa wrote:
Speaking of wierd censorship, the version that airs on BS11 has the middle fingers uncensored, while they're censored on TokyoMX, Crunchyroll and HIDIVE.

Streaming services usually only get the most typical version of a stream, which usually means the most censored version of the stream. It's the same reason why fan service heavy shows are censored on Crunchyroll.

DJStarstryker wrote:
Yeah, count me as one of the people who simply doesn't get this show. I generally try to give shows at least 4 episodes before dropping it if I don't like it. A few shows have gotten 2-3. Pop Team Epic is, and likely will always be, my personal record holder of how fast I dropped it. I couldn't even put up with half of an episode.

Some shows you just "get", and this is a prime example of that. Don't worry about giving this the three episode rule. One episode should be sufficient if you're compatible with this show or not.

I was kind of expecting the review to give a question mark rating because of that. Even I can't really give a letter rating based off my personal tastes. All I can honestly say is that I was entertained.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:39 am Reply with quote
I've seen antihumor before and I found it to be funny though that may be an oxymoron. Guy follows ant for ten minutes in a twelve minute show... though that particular episode was 20 minutes to account for the size of the ant segment. It was a very small ant, you see... I mean you couldn't see it. Later repeats took that out so you can't see it. Do you see?

What I saw of Pop Team Epic was Reference Humor or "Oh I get that reference. Ha." humor. Completely repeating the episode was closer to antihumor but it's also just repeating the Reference humor. If the second half was just the two girls staring at each other, that would have been antihumor. Reference humor is for the audience while antihumor is on the audience.

Let's see how finely I pin these two down...
Antihumor desired audience reaction, Andy Kaufman levels of troll: "Where's the joke?"
Reference humor desired audience reaction. "That's the joke."

Or in short, if you figure out where the joke should be then it's not antihumor, it's just not funny.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:23 am Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
All innovative ideas and strangeness aside, is this an enjoyable show to watch or just an anime for trolls?

Stop being a sheep and expecting other peoples' opinions to have any relevancy to you and just watch it yourself.

Anime of the season right here, the best shows are always the ones that rustle the most jimmies.

The OP is unironically amazing.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote
My comprehension towards Pop Team Epic is quite so limited, and yet, it never ceases to make me tweet much about it.

In my book, "so bad, it's good" sums up the best way to describe Pop Team Epic. They say it's trashy as hell, and yet, it's also deemed to be a guilty pleasure to check out.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:43 am Reply with quote
The second episode is a notable improvement. To see the fourth wall suffer a constant onslaught in its first sketch, to the extent that one questions whether this is still anime at all, really helps to set the tone of irreverence. The confrontational Love Live parody and Instagram fortune-teller proved to be the icing on the cake.

At a low dose of fifteen minutes per week, I think I can enjoy having my comedic expectations betrayed so heartily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

Quote:
The escalation on that “idol documentary” was fantastic. Also, was Popuko smoking a cigar or a blunt at the beginning there?

It was a cigarette, I believe, because Popuko is wearing the same clothes and hairstyle as idol group Minimoni member Ai Kago, who was removed from her agency and basically had her entire career ruined in 2007 when she was caught smoking underage by the tabloids. This is a reference to that.

I was going to make fun (just a bit) of Ai Kago, but when searching a bit... damn, that girl didn't have the easiest of lives... Neutral
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Best jokes in Pop Team Epic so far in no particular order:

-The super-long xylophone
-Clone Popuko and M-Bison Pipimi
-The futon that forces you to fall asleep
-Waking up at 7PM
-Hitman Popuko/Pipimi
-The storyboard gag (and the zoom-in at the end was excellent)
-"I'll die if I see a spiky word-bubble"
-The episode 1 Hoshiiro Girldrop fake-out (and running gag)
-How impressively hideous Bob Epic Team is

And while not really jokes per se, the stop-motion dance sequence was legitimately well-done. Mad props to the team for fully committing to the ridiculousness of the premise.
Also, the OP is legitimately one of the best of the season.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
There's heavy speculation that Bob Epic Team is made by the same people who did the GAL-O SENGEN Music Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M). It's apparently their thing, purposely hideous art style.

Honestly I find it purposely hideous to the point of having this bizarre charm. Like it's so purposely bad on purpose that it wraps around and becomes charming.

Also I just kind of hope one of the segments is a remake of the Galo Sengen video because I still love it.
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:18 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
There's heavy speculation that Bob Epic Team is made by the same people who did the GAL-O SENGEN Music Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M). It's apparently their thing, purposely hideous art style.

Honestly I find it purposely hideous to the point of having this bizarre charm. Like it's so purposely bad on purpose that it wraps around and becomes charming.

Also I just kind of hope one of the segments is a remake of the Galo Sengen video because I still love it.

It's not really speculation lol, AC-bu is in the credits.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
Okay, I somehow made it through the first episode out of morbid curiosity, and I'm actually impressed this even exists. Somebody had to greenlight this, then a team had to animate it, voice actors did the voices, a television station had to willingly broadcast it, and everyone got a paycheck for one of the most aggressively nonsensical things I've ever witnessed. It's like a meme that went out of control, or a prototype AI made a script for something using random internet knowledge and Japan animated that script. I don't think I can handle any more, but I do know what I'm showing someone if I ever need to torture them in my basement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9