• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Pop Team Epic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
This episode had 3 Disney references: Steamboat Willie at the very beginning, Pooh's Home Run Derby and the obvious Mickey impression. I wonder when the lawsuit will take place.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I was looking forward to these reviews just so I can see how the hell does one review Pop Team Epic... I'm not disappointed...
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Joa wrote:

...what the hell was that?! I can't tell if its supposed to be serious.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Aw man you didn't enjoy this one that much huh, Gab. That long neck scene killed me somehow in both halves. To me this was the best Pop Team Epic episode so far.
Chunx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah. Ekens did a Yahtzee in this review. Good attempt.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Joa wrote:
This episode had 3 Disney references: Steamboat Willie at the very beginning, Pooh's Home Run Derby and the obvious Mickey impression. I wonder when the lawsuit will take place.

Pretty sure that first one was a Nice Boat reference.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
It's possible we may have a problem.

Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Joa wrote:

It's both actually, the 4-koma was a blantant reference to steamboat willie but since the might get sued, the anime presented it in sound only with Nice Boat visual.
Joa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Joa wrote:

Like Meongantuk said, it's a refrence to both. It's this strip from the manga, but the joke is that they can't show it because they would get sued. You can still hear the audio.

I also want to point out that Crunchyroll's translation ("Due to the mature nature of this corner...") is completely wrong. The Japanese text says 大人の事情により ("due to adult circumstances") which probably refers to copyright issues.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Joa wrote:
The Japanese text says 大人の事情により ("due to adult circumstances") which probably refers to copyright issues.
It's a tongue-in-cheek phrase often used to mean "for reasons I'd rather not specify". In the media industry it's used for explaining programming changes or cancellations due to conflict of interest, fear of touching on taboo subjects, or indeed copyright issues.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:45 am Reply with quote
Something I'm noticing...Crunchyroll is refusing to let Pop Team Epic make the front page of current simulcasts. Why is that? Is it because it's new?

meiam wrote:
Joa wrote:

...what the hell was that?! I can't tell if its supposed to be serious.

If you mean the absurd difficulty and cruel AI, it is dead-serious. No one has any idea why the game was designed that way, just that it's so merciless, especially as it's themed on Winnie the Pooh, that it became memetic for its difficulty. Pooh's Home Run Derby has appeared in fighting game tournaments on the side (though probably not this year's EVO).

Joa wrote:
Like Meongantuk said, it's a refrence to both. It's this strip from the manga, but the joke is that they can't show it because they would get sued. You can still hear the audio.

I also want to point out that Crunchyroll's translation ("Due to the mature nature of this corner...") is completely wrong. The Japanese text says 大人の事情により ("due to adult circumstances") which probably refers to copyright issues.

Well, I wouldn't have known. "Due to adult circumstances" would make me think there is family-unfriendly stuff up ahead.

As for the mosaic-censoring, I can definitely see it with the Ghibli and Disney examples, though it would've been pretty neat to have the Dick Dastardly and Muttley parody un-mosaiced, as Time Warner is a lot more relaxed than either of those two companies. But I guess they decided to better be safe than sorry and not get stuff pulled like what happened twice to Mr. Osomatsu twice.
Nagsura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
The multiplication skit is nothing but wordplay (both on how to say "3x3" and the different readings for the kanji of 3).

The cooking segment is, overall, a parody of cooking shows (going overboard by choosing a very simple dish), but specially NHK's, even imitating some of their signs.

As for the internet one I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's, at least in part, making fun of Nico Nico content creators and their attempts at becoming famous (and probably making fun of one of them in specific).

Also, regarding the last segment, it's also a parody of Easy Rider's intro with Born to be Wild playing in the background, with the ending song being a complete rip-off of it (Sugita lyrics included; "Get your motor ramen").

Hope that helps.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Nagsura wrote:

Also, regarding the last segment, it's also a parody of Easy Rider's intro with Born to be Wild playing in the background, with the ending song being a complete rip-off of it (Sugita lyrics included; "Get your motor ramen").

There was actually an on-screen note for that that explained it better. The Japanese phrase
"Itsumo no Ramen"
is in itself a popular Japanese mondegreen (misheard lyric) for
"Getch-ya motor runnin'"

basically the Japan version of "Scuse me while I kiss this guy" or "There's a bathroom on the right"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagsura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
There was actually an on-screen note for that that explained it better. The Japanese phrase
"Itsumo no Ramen"
is in itself a popular Japanese mondegreen (misheard lyric) for
"Getch-ya motor runnin'"

basically the Japan version of "Scuse me while I kiss this guy" or "There's a bathroom on the right"

Thanks for the heads up, I missed that note completely.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't as satisfied with this episode. At the same time, the show itself certainly doesn't give a shit that I wasn't satisfied. I'm not hip enough to appreciate its obscure references.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9