• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal: Season III Limited Edition BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:30 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's the issue that season three makes the Inners look too young but the original anime and the first two seasons of Crystal made the Inners look too old. In every other adaptation of Sailor Moon, the Inners always look like 18 year old super models, even in the live action version (which the cast of PGSM actually was in real life). The Inners look like kids in Crystal season three because they are still kids. They might be 15 in season three but they're still kids and not super models. So I personally appreciate they actually look their age in season three. The big issue I had with the season three art style is they still had a lot of off model character designs in spite of the art style shift. It especially seemed like the villains had the worst off model work, especially Mistress 9.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:42 am Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Sadly, I don't agree with the story rating, I would put it more at a B-, but bordering on a C+ (I think Yūji Kobayashi can't write for peanuts).

The story and character issues aren't Kobayashi's fault. That's all on the insistence on doing a faithful adaptation and Takeuchi's weak writing.

I actually think this is weaker than the first two seasons, mainly because when you really think about the plot of S3, the first ~6 episodes are basically irrelevant to what happens in the 2nd half. It's filler that doesn't develop characters/relationships nor give deeper insight into them (unlike S).
Oh and the Witches 5 are ciphers compared to their S counterparts.

true enough. the whole concept of the crystal series is that it SUPPOSED to be 100% faithful to the manga with ZERO exceptions. especially when it comes to the writing and the animation of the series. though die hard naoko fans wouldnt care either way for as along as the series was faithful.

- Haruka's too aggressive with Usagi

i wouldn't go that far. and i definitely wouldn't go as far as predatory either. seiya from the stars series was pretty much the same. hell both characters were pretty much two peas in a pod when it came to their attraction towards usagi. i mean compared to other lesbians who try to go after a certain girl who isn't interested (looking at you kuroko shirai) i don't think that she necessarily crossed the line when it came towards her advances with usagi. especially since she know better to not alter her relationship with mamoru.

now if she tries to pull a kannazuki no miko, then absolutely! though if her advancements are really faithful to the manga, then no. not really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
My complaint about Haruka's kiss with Usagi is that it gets more screentime than Michiru and we barely seem to get that much romantic scenes between Haruka and Michiru who are one of the most iconic couples in 90s shoujo anime.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
My complaint about Haruka's kiss with Usagi is that it gets more screentime than Michiru and we barely seem to get that much romantic scenes between Haruka and Michiru who are one of the most iconic couples in 90s shoujo anime.

true enough. however, it had to considering that the series as a whole is meant to be faithful to the manga and in the manga which i read (both the newer updated version and the old tokyopop version), it had a lot more of that than who she is supposed to be dating which is michiru. though it was toned downed somewhat during the stars arc and seiya was just as persistent when it came to usagi, though not as aggressive as haruka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
Great set.
I loved the dub, I was super impressed by the slight changes in performances from the cast in the first parts and it was interesting to hear what Erica and Lauren were going to tweak here. Erica's voice for the character has never been better here!
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

true enough. the whole concept of the crystal series is that it SUPPOSED to be 100% faithful to the manga with ZERO exceptions. especially when it comes to the writing and the animation of the series. though die hard naoko fans wouldnt care either way for as along as the series was faithful.

Still a pretty stupid concept though, if you ask me. Rolling Eyes

CCTakato wrote:
In every other adaptation of Sailor Moon, the Inners always look like 18 year old super models, even in the live action version (which the cast of PGSM actually was in real life). The Inners look like kids in Crystal season three because they are still kids.

I've heard in the case of the anime/manga it's because there the girls are portrayed more like mature adult women rather than teenagers and it's also some escapist fantasy where beauty and power are portrayed as over the top as possible.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

I've heard in the case of the anime/manga it's because there the girls are portrayed more like mature adult women rather than teenagers and it's also some escapist fantasy where beauty and power are portrayed as over the top as possible.
Even in the 90s anime though, the Inners always looked more like they were like 16 instead of 14.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2