• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Did Only Cartoon Network/Adult Swim Stick With Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Me, I clicked in expecting the question would be "Why does CN/Adult Swim still air anime, even though they're loudly, vocally, competitively, snottily and passive-aggressively not interested in it?" (Apparently, it's "teh Geek", or so they tell us.)

Quote:

Thing is, CN didn't really LIKE anime, they just liked Bebop. Oh, and Adult Swim liked FLCL, because they "thought it was on drugs". (Or, more accurately, hoped it was on drugs.)

Oh come off it. They like anime there. Funimation doesn't have someone with a gun to a CN exec's head whispering "Play Dragon Ball". If they truly didn't like anime they wouldn't air it. They wouldn't have Inuyasha and Spike Spiegel on a big mural of all their shows down near their head offices. They wouldn't have straight up co-funded the second season of Big O or Space Dandy. They air sarcastic bumpers, sure, but they do that basically all the time. It's playful ribbing, like they do in a ton of those bumps. You gotta stop trying to be angry and enjoy that they are, like the article says, still even airing anime when most other networks either have failed or don't try at all.

Also I think this Naruto bump is one of the funniest lowkey burns on the anime industry as a whole.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
Nick showed a lot more anime back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. I remember watching "The Noozles" back in the early 1990s, along with "Little Bits" on that channel. I think they were trying to take advantage of the success that other Japanese properties had, such as Macross/Robotech, earlier in the 1980s. I'm surprised that none of the responses touched upon this. For a while, other than the Christian networks showing of "Superbook", it was pretty much the only channel where you could watch anime on TV..or, until my local (former) UPN affiliate picked up "Ronin Warriors" and "Sailor Moon" back in 1993 (San Francisco was the trial market).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
(Apparently, it's "teh Geek", or so they tell us.)

No, it's "cus anime is teh s uck."

EricJ2 wrote:
...as there's no danger of Fairy Tail, Bleach, or One Piece ending any time soon and leaving their late-night block without a demographic viewership.

Adult Swim has never aired Fairy Tail, the Bleach anime wrapped years ago, and One Piece got booted from the line-up last March.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
Adult Swim loves anime. That's why they show it. "cus anime is teh s uck" was making fun of trolls that would post on the forums saying that phrase .

Everyone gently ribs their hobbies every now and then.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
Disney not have any interest in Anime? Shocked

Answerman, have you forgotten how Disney took Naruto away from the Cartoon Network and debuted Shippuuden on Disney Anime hyper for a few years? (They sure didn't watch ahead to see it being far from Disney's idea of kid-friendly now did they?)

Now why didn't they (Disney) keep Anime or Nikelodeon having Anime? I believe that licensing and merchandising were major factors, I.E. making a profit off a series. The other, was of course image. We know how edgy Anime can get, especially with those not marketed to teens and young adults. And we know that Disney avoids that at all possible and Nick, tends to limit it. That's why I think they opted to go in-house so they can control the series than wait for a series that looked appealing.

To sum it all up: Profit, Image, and Control. That is why they went in-house and why we don't really see Japanese anime, but instead, collaboration Anime (Avatar, Marvel) that works with overseas anime studios.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:46 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Adult Swim loves anime. That's why they show it. "cus anime is teh s uck" was making fun of trolls that would post on the forums saying that phrase .

Everyone gently ribs their hobbies every now and then.

And then you have things like "Perfect Hair Forever" which seems to be one long Swim-style stoner rant at what geek-bashers on the more crack-open-a-window side of CN's programming THINK anime is: DBZ cliche's of guys with weird hair.

Again, wonder where CN got that lasting impression...More fodder for the "Majin Buu killed anime on CN" theory"? Rolling Eyes
Swim may air anime (or at least fight serials) and angry-pottymouth stoner comedy, but it's pretty clear one is the favorite child over the other. Somebody sure fell out of network favor, fast.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote
I would also add Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon have very different demographics. Even before Cartoon Network started their Adult Swim block, they always seemed to have a lot of older kid and tween fans whereas Nickelodeon always seemed to be more family friendly and popular with younger age groups. Anime in general seems to be popular with the older kid/tween demographic so it makes the network that targets the demographic the most would also air anime the most. Although I do recall Nickelodeon did air Dragon Ball Kai and Digimon for quite a long time and I recall they aired Yugioh at one point too.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Nick showed a lot more anime back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. I remember watching "The Noozles" back in the early 1990s, along with "Little Bits" on that channel. I think they were trying to take advantage of the success that other Japanese properties had, such as Macross/Robotech, earlier in the 1980s. I'm surprised that none of the responses touched upon this..

Literally the second one. =p
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Questions like these always seem to bring out the people who see services like CN and AS as entryways into anime. That might have been true for them ten or twenty years ago, but I would argue that in a world where nearly every episode of every show is free to watch legally or illegally online, television networks have much less significance. Anime is no longer a tiny niche interest among young people either. Most kids today know what anime is and how to watch it if they want to. They don't need Toonami for that.

You need only spend a bit of time at MAL to realize that a large fraction of young anime fans watch on illegal streaming sites. I suspect many of them hardly ever watch anything on traditional television networks.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
As for the third question, CN found themselves trapped by their own reputation: At first, Adult Swim didn't mean "Crabby foul-mouthed moronic stoner comedies", it meant that they could show Robotech and Gundam without the tighter restrictions on TV violence that their afternoon-cartoon slot could.

At least on Saturdays.....with Bebop weirdly being penciled in for the Sunday block.

EricJ2 wrote:
That led to airing Tenchi Muyo OAV with "digital bikinis",

Yeah to this day I never understood why they ran the edited versions of Tenchi and Outlaw Star on the Saturday block even when they didn't need to and it clashed with the other stuff. But hey at least it's better than what they did with Lupin where there was topless nudity but lacking certain details.

EricJ2 wrote:

Thing is, CN didn't really LIKE anime, they just liked Bebop. Oh, and Adult Swim liked FLCL, because they "thought it was on drugs". (Or, more accurately, hoped it was on drugs.)
That's probably why we never saw any shoujou, or romance, or slice-of-life, or comedy

What would Hamtaro, Pilot Candidate, & SD Gundam be classified as?

EricJ2 wrote:
(would Ranma 1/2 have been so hard?)

Given what happened to Yu Yu Hakusho I'd say yes.

Violynne wrote:
Toonami's launch and success belongs to the best president Cartoon Network ever had: Betty Cohen.

She took this obscure "No one will want cartoons 24 hours a day" cable station and turned it into one of the most profitable channels on cable.

Her role in the introduction of anime seems to be severely underappreciated, and it still bothers me.

Obscure person who did something genius that many are unaware is an obscure person that did something genius many are unaware of. Snark aside though when people talk about the Glory days of CN you have people more likely to reminisce about the days of Looney Tunes, Dexter's Lab, etc being run within a 24 Hour period and where those kind of shows have gone than than that.

Violynne wrote:

The introduction of Adult Swim proved there was a market for animation appreciation of all ages, and Betty wasted no time working to bring the best animation to the fans.

...I wouldn't call Candidate For Goddess the cream of the crop of animation.

EricJ2 wrote:
but since it wasn't their property and didn't have a proven track record, it was the second-half-hour "B-single" player to what was going to be their channel's money-series, "The 7D".

With 7D having been run it's course without much fanfare that idea apparently panned out as well as espousing the importance of Kinder Kuche Kinder at a Pro Women's Rally.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
They don't need Toonami for that.

While I'm sure that the majority of the populace is tech savvy and are very conscious about the internet, TV still has a place, even if the signs of it dwindling is ever growing. Anime is still a rather underground thing, to both its detriments and benefit. I'm not going to lie; anime is touted mainly for what US animation is restricted or unwilling to do, and due to it being (albeit stereotypically) associated strongly with Japan, and its art style that still isn't picked up by the rest of the world enmasse, along with the social and nationalistic filters and matters that accompany such affairs, that's kind of one of the big reasons why anime isn't mainstream. You'll see me tout on and on about how anime is a globally influenced cross cultural and humanistic style, but I doubt many, or a majority of the populace sees that outside of an insane man like me. If anything, that's one of the many probable causes why anime isn't shown much on TV, outside of reasons of profit and economics, like the late 2000s anime and manga bubble crash.

I think anime being a kind of underground/off beaten path form of entertainment at least here in the States is a good thing, due to its cultural and historic value. Sure, rises and falls always happen. But anime's been proven to be the kind of adaptable style that can survive such times and alternate from knowing when to rise and when to fall back. If anything, Toonami still stands as a beacon and historic monument to its place in not just anime history, but in the world of the arts and entertainment (and also out of nostalgia and a profitable venture of public demand :V). It serves well as a reminder to what impact it had on its viewers as well as how it did it well, and still, it's an effective gateway for new and interested fans. Sure, it's not entirely up to the demand and current market in Japan, but hey, it's showing anime. Plus, Youtube is showing signs that it's not the almighty public entertaining platform it really is, in both reputation and profit, and while I'm sure streaming isn't going anywhere, even Rome fell.

Bad News Blues wrote:
Snark aside though when people talk about the Glory days of CN you have people more likely to reminisce about the days of Looney Tunes, Dexter's Lab, etc being run within a 24 Hour period and where those kind of shows have gone than than that.

Funny, I thought Boomerang was for those people.

Bad News Blues wrote:
...I wouldn't call Candidate For Goddess the cream of the crop of animation.

Smartass :V
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

That's probably why we never saw any shoujou, or romance, or slice-of-life, or comedy

What would Hamtaro, Pilot Candidate, & SD Gundam be classified as?

Hamtaro would be qualified as "The third, unwanted 'rider' title in the Viz package-deal CN negotiated to get Inu-Yasha." First was Zoids, IIRC, but not sure.
Still, at least they aired a Viz series, even though IY was, yep, a no-end fight serial that could string demographic viewers along. (This was back in the old 00's days before Binge-streaming, when a cable channel needed its own private cult of regularly-scheduled broadcast viewers for a money-title.)

Pilot Candidate was "The newest untested property the reliable DVD company was throwing at them", while Gundam had core reputation going for it, and the thrill of CN getting it first.

EricJ2 wrote:
(would Ranma 1/2 have been so hard?)

Given what happened to Yu Yu Hakusho I'd say yes.[/quote]

What happened, apart from everyone finding out YYH was just a DBZ fight-serial clone before Toonami/Swim started depending on fight-serials?

Quote:
EricJ2 wrote:
but since it wasn't their property and didn't have a proven track record, it was the second-half-hour "B-single" player to what was going to be their channel's money-series, "The 7D".

With 7D having been run it's course without much fanfare that idea apparently panned out as well as espousing the importance of Kinder Kuche Kinder at a Pro Women's Rally

Here is a suitcase. Please unpack it. Confused
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

Funny, I thought Boomerang was for those people.

It was until someone decided to turn Boomerang basically into this weird hodgepodge of modern and old school CN with particular emphasis on modern (I.e. recent) material like the new Ben 10 show and Teen Titans Go.

TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

Smartass :V

Thank you, thank you.
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I found it very surprising Funimation picked up Puzzle & Dragons Z and Monster Hunter Stories.

It's actually called Puzzle & Dragons X, not Z.

Quote:
I then found it very unsurprising when both of their dubs got cancelled. Those are kids shows and their service isn't being watched by kids. Even in Japan, those shows don't move home video product. They move toys, video games, trading cards and licensed confectioneries.

Yeah, both shows don't really fit in with FUNimation's catalog. The dubs are great, but the company is targeting the wrong demographic. If both shows were meant to make it big here, they should've been released on a mainstream platform where kids' eyes are focused on. Streaming as Netflix or Hulu exclusives would've been more ideal, imo. I'm concerned about how many people will actually buy the North American home media releases.

Quote:
Maybe Funimation predicted the Sony buyout and wanted some programming inventory for a potential US version of Pop? Rolling Eyes

That's possible.

Quote:
I suspect you might already know this, but the Asian Disney X-D actually ran an English dub (produced in Hong Kong) of Mysterious Joker.

Yeah, I already knew about the Southeast Asian Disney X-D dub. I was actually referring to the North American Disney X-D, which hasn't aired Mysterious Joker.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="TheAnimeRevolutionizer"]
yuna49 wrote:

While I'm sure that the majority of the populace is tech savvy and are very conscious about the internet, TV still has a place, even if the signs of it dwindling is ever growing

There's a quote from Jason DeMarco (it might have even been on the ANNCast from this very site) where he points out that no matter what happens, TV is still the best place for people to stumble on to new anime. Crunchyroll and whatever other streaming services are out there, but they basically require you to already know what you're looking for, plus you have to already care about anime enough to subscribe in the first place. Toonami is something you can stumble across on a boring Saturday night and suddenly see something new you haven't seen before. (Of course now they're showing Black Clover which is a serious negative in that regard). I know for sure I wouldn't have seen Jojo outside of internet memes without them showing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5