• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

The huge difference is, those shows were AIMED at otaku men but CCS is aimed at young girls..

That's why CCS yuri won't happen. Young girls like watching anime with girlxboy ships. At least most of them lol
CLAMP writes LGBTQ content in their manga all the time. Even CCS has Touya and Yukito as a canon gay couple. CLAMP isn't going to write Tomoyo and Sakura as a canon couple because that's not the story they want to tell and they're not going erase relationships to appease a very small minority of fans.

and after what Nick did with the final season of the legend of korra, where they basically plastered her an asami as a couple to appease the LBGT community, (even though that series isn't an anime series at all) and seeing the successes of yuri couples shipping like nanoha x fate , madoka x homura , and illyasviel x miyu , nothing is impossible in this day of age.

while it is a LESS THAN A 5% CHANCE, its still possible.

HOWEVER, if DRosencraft's theories are correct and they make sakura and syaoran's relationship as tragic as with their counterparts from tsubasa , it will be even more apparent they might actually do it. my estimates will be raised from less than 5% to 50/50 at best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Why do people think CLAMP is going to tie CCS into Tsubasa and make it dark and edgy? I don't understand this paranoia from fans about the sequel when it's done nothing to warrant it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why do people think CLAMP is going to tie CCS into Tsubasa and make it dark and edgy? I don't understand this paranoia from fans about the sequel when it's done nothing to warrant it.

and in pre madoka magica , i would 100% agree with you. but after seeing the ending of tsubasa, and the way how slow the romance between these two are, especially in the manga version, you cant blame the most die hard CLAMP fans from worrying that they will either A) have their relationships the same as tsubasa , or B) go the yuri route with a sakura x tomoyo shipping.

and if those rumors from some japanese fan clamp forums are correct and yukio from xxholic makes a cameo in later eps, OH BOY THAT WOULD SET THEM OFF!!! i mean they already went off to than conclusion in those forums back when it was announced that the English cast of tsubasa would do the clear card arc, and ONLY died down somewhat when the english dub ADR said on her twitter that the cast was chosen as homage to tsubasa and not a potential signal that CLAMP is going down that route. but if the xxholic cast shows up, then it will definitely restart.

NOW do i actually believe that those rumors or the whole yuri shipping of sakura x tomoyo will ACTUALLY HAPPEN? HELL NO!

BUT, if there is one thing that i learned the hard way whether its in real life or what will happen in a typical anime series that tend to have a very usual common trend is that to ALWAYS CHALLENGE YOUR OWN ASSUMPTIONS! for at times and for some series, its usually the impossible and the most illogical scenario that actually happens!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
nd the way how slow the romance between these two are, especially in the manga version

They're thirteen! Both have already confessed in the previous series/movies and they are dating in a G-rated manner, like how kids their age should.
I hope you're not expecting sex. lol

Quote:

Lol dude, it isn't possible even as .001%. You're deluding yourself. Anime hyper

This would be like Naoko deciding to rewrite Sailor Moon and pairing Usagi with Rei.

It doesn't matter how big the ship fanbase is; manga-ka in Japan will do what they've decided from the beginning.

Quote:
for at times and for some series, its usually the impossible and the most illogical scenario that actually happens!

Um any examples besides male-demographic yuri bait shows?
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
nd the way how slow the romance between these two are, especially in the manga version

They're thirteen! Both have already confessed in the previous series/movies and they are dating in a G-rated manner, like how kids their age should.

OH HELL NO! ABSOLUTELY NO ONE WANTS THAT!!

also, i'm not THAT delusional nor do i EVER want that scenario to happen! while is extremely unlikely that it will ever happen, but after tsubasa, i learned to never say never. and its not me alone that is coming up with these wild theories. these are all coming from die hard CLAMP fans from both side of the aisle that have their concerns as well. especially with those rumors from some fan based Japanese sites about some characters from xxholic making a cameo is actually true! (WHICH I EXTREMELY DOUBT AS WELL!)
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Two Cards Again it's just like episode 3
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
and if those rumors from some japanese fan clamp forums are correct and yukio from xxholic makes a cameo in later eps, OH BOY THAT WOULD SET THEM OFF!!

I don't understand how any self-professed Clamp "fans" would ever think that Yuko would ever show up in any future Clamp title. xxxHolic is still technically "ongoing", and they're not going to suddenly have Yuko show up in anything else without first resolving the spoiler[Yuko is dead... or is she?] story arc (assuming they're ever going to actually wrap that thread up... they seem pretty content writing stories set in the current status quo, and I can't say I blame them considering how good xxxHolic Rei has been).
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

Quote:

Lol dude, it isn't possible even as .001%. You're deluding yourself. Anime hyper

This would be like Naoko deciding to rewrite Sailor Moon and pairing Usagi with Rei.

It doesn't matter how big the ship fanbase is; manga-ka in Japan will do what they've decided from the beginning.

Quote:
for at times and for some series, its usually the impossible and the most illogical scenario that actually happens!

Um any examples besides male-demographic yuri bait shows?

With Illya and Kodomo no Jikan, anythings possible.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:58 am Reply with quote
Tomoyo was always in love with Sakura, sure. LGBT-couples happen in Clamp series, sure.
But SakuraxTomoyo is ridiculous. I have no doubt that Tomoyo would go for it if she felt it would make Sakura happiest. In the original manga, she said something along the line of "for me, happiness is seeing the one I love most happy". She would totally go for a relationship, but she'd never push for one, and she'd never push against Shaolan as Sakura's partner.

Also, Sakura herself shows 0 interest in Tomoyo, or girls in general on a romantic level. Reading her cute, over the top friendship displays as yuri-bait says more about the audience than about her.
And Tomoyo knows this! She knows her best friend, and she knows how it ended for her mother, who she obviously mimics.

I also can't imagine Clamp being influenced by modern shonen/seinen magical Girl. Clear Card doesn't support this at all. That's not to say Clamps magical girl series are always 100%fluff, Rayearth was a bloody mess in the end.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

With Illya and Kodomo no Jikan, anythings possible.

not really. kodomo no jikan? OH HELL NO!

but illya is another story since one of the examples i mentioned where its a magical girl type series that is leaning to the yuri crowd.

however the main examples on how some magical girl series pander to the yuri crowd are series like mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha, puella magi madoka magica , Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru , and other magical girl type series (that are NOT from the precure or SM franchise) which have pandering to this base since the premiere of nanoha and madoka.

so its as i said before. will it happen? of course not! never said that it will!

but can it happen? absolutely! and while it a very small chance, i wouldn't not rule that yuri scenario out at the slightest unless CLAMP says otherwise!

Coup d'État wrote:
Tomoyo was always in love with Sakura, sure. LGBT-couples happen in Clamp series, sure.
But SakuraxTomoyo is ridiculous. I have no doubt that Tomoyo would go for it if she felt it would make Sakura happiest. In the original manga, she said something along the line of "for me, happiness is seeing the one I love most happy". She would totally go for a relationship, but she'd never push for one, and she'd never push against Shaolan as Sakura's partner.

Also, Sakura herself shows 0 interest in Tomoyo, or girls in general on a romantic level. Reading her cute, over the top friendship displays as yuri-bait says more about the audience than about her.
And Tomoyo knows this! She knows her best friend, and she knows how it ended for her mother, who she obviously mimics.

I also can't imagine Clamp being influenced by modern shonen/seinen magical Girl. Clear Card doesn't support this at all. That's not to say Clamps magical girl series are always 100%fluff, Rayearth was a bloody mess in the end.

and its the reason why i have my point & concerns Coup d'Etat! with the success of similar series like nanoha , madoka , yuki yuna and illya going down the yuri road, and with CLAMP'S very messy handling of magical girl rayearth & tsubasa's crazy ass ending, don't be surprised if it does actually happens.

but i really pray to god that it doesn't come to that!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
How about we get off the circular round a bout with shipping couples. Thanks.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's worth mentioning that there were some odd choices in the dialogue this week, although that may be due to how the subtitles chose to word things. The two cases that stand out are Akiho saying that she's never had anyone over to her new house and Sakura asking Akiho if she's ever worn a dress. These are weird because Sakura and Tomoyo were just at Akiho's house two episodes ago (which they acknowledge), and Akiho is wearing a dress when Sakura asks the question.

Glad I'm not the only one who was laughing over these. I didn't catch the dialogue for the first one, but I think the second has to do with the Japanese loan word "doresu". I'm not a linguist so I could be wrong, but I usually hear "doresu" associated with intricate, victorian-style dresses (like Sakura wears frequently) while I think what Akiho's wearing would be called a "one piece/wan piisu".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
No Review today Darn
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
@StarFan13

Don't worry, it's coming. Because the show airs kind of late for me, I don't get a chance to write it up until the next morning, which slows the process of it getting up down. So just plan to look for the review a bit later, it'll come. Smile
StarFan13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
At almost end of the episode tomoyo finally said Cardcaptors
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11