• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
which creates a somewhat troubling dynamic of her being protected by a trio of concerned boys (Syaoran, Eriol, and Toya) while she flits around dispensing rainbows and sunshine.

Not only that, Eriol is -yet again- ! withholding information from her for "her own / the greater good".
The most annoying aspect of CCS, old and new to me is that much conflict could be resolved if only the characters sat down and talked it out. Toya obviously knows a lot about what's going on, and has for years. Sakura must know on some level that Toya knows something, because she knows about the Toya-Yue-Energy-snacking. (Or doesn't she? I'm no longer 100% sure)

Eriol could have been more honest with Sakura in the Sakura-Card-Arc, and now he's straight up ignoring her calls. Same goes for the teacher, apparently. Shaolan keeps Sakura in the dark, yet again. In the Clow-Card-Arc, that made sense, because they were not friends at that point yet, but why now?

I'm sure the show will reveal a "very convincing reason" at some point as to why it was important for Sakura to not know things, as was done in the Sakura-Card-Arc. But to me, it just seems like bad story writing, where Sakura stays in the dark, so that the audience can share that place.

Does anybody else feel this way, or am I over thinking this?
#Vlad_N

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Quote:
which creates a somewhat troubling dynamic of her being protected by a trio of concerned boys (Syaoran, Eriol, and Toya) while she flits around dispensing rainbows and sunshine.

I'm sure the show will reveal a "very convincing reason" at some point as to why it was important for Sakura to not know things, as was done in the Sakura-Card-Arc. But to me, it just seems like bad story writing, where Sakura stays in the dark, so that the audience can share that place.

Does anybody else feel this way, or am I over thinking this?

Well, in the first series, Kero had called Eriol out on this, ¿Why not telling Sakura about the need to change the Clow cards in the first place instead of putting her in danger? And Rubymoon told him because if she knew she wasn't in danger to begin with, she couldn't have had the strength to change the cards.
So, I suppose there must be a very good reason to keep Sakura out of the loop this time and I really hope it is convincingly enough
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was really assuming that the reason Eriol wasn't returning Sakura's calls is because he had something to do with everything. Now that we know that he (probably) is as in the dark as everyone else, that he'll speak freely to Shaoran but not Sakura is really troubling.

Something about the way Shaoran looked at Kaito actually made me wonder if we'd have another love triangle on our hands - and it seems that I wasn't too far off, because he was actually noticing Kaito's moon power. Obviously Shaoran knows better by now, but I knew I saw something. Laughing

Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if Kaito wants Akiho to replace Sakura or something, kind of like spoiler[the faction that wants Sasaki to replace Haruhi] in the later Haruhi Suzumiya novels. It seems pretty unlikely at this point that Akiho is doing anything consciously at least. But unless it's just a massive red herring (which seems unlikely in this kind of show), she has to be some sort of foil to Sakura - not even mentioning all the parallels that were made in the plot., her name makes it too obvious. Shinomoto vs Kinomoto, Akiho (Autumn + heads of grain, like an autumn harvest) vs Sakura (A flower that symbolizes spring).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#Vlad_N

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
It seems pretty unlikely at this point that Akiho is doing anything consciously at least. But unless it's just a massive red herring (which seems unlikely in this kind of show), she has to be some sort of foil to Sakura - not even mentioning all the parallels that were made in the plot., her name makes it too obvious. Shinomoto vs Kinomoto, Akiho (Autumn + heads of grain, like an autumn harvest) vs Sakura (A flower that symbolizes spring).

You think so? Remeber when everyone was thinking professor Mizuki was actually Yue when it was Yukito all along? That was one hell of a twist when the show aired and it also didn't come from anywhere, it made perfect sense and all the foreshadowing was actually there.
In this case, is also a possibility that Akiho or even Kaito will end up as red herrings just like Mizuki in the past, they are relevant characters without a doubt but which are their roles in the story maybe are not that obvious and are yet to be seen.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Anybody else besides me confused about the continuity of this show as it stands now? When Clear Card was announced and they released the prologue OAD that animated the manga ending, everyone had assumed that the previous anime in its entirety had been retconned. Then, Clear Card finally aired and with call backs to episode 70, people had assumed the only thing that had been retconned was the second movie. But now the second movie play was just referenced in a recent episode. How is that even possible? Did Sakura not catch the card from that movie in a park that was built where Akiho is living now? I'm assuming the reason why they might have referenced the play from the 2nd movie rather than the play from episode 42 of CCS because they might be interested in advertising the movie's rerelease to theaters, but it just comes off as sloppy from a storytelling perspective.
#Vlad_N

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Anybody else besides me confused about the continuity of this show as it stands now?

Everyone needs to read this post:
http://meimi-haneoka.tumblr.com/post/171893580798

Apparently, they decided to make the first anime, The Sealed card movie and the clear card anime taking part in the same story while being an entirely separate route from the manga and the OAD.
They did take into account the discrepancies between the second movie and the new anime, but it looks like everything will make sense in the end, with the movie being a link between both series.
Honestly, I'm more excited now.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
#877993, I am so much obliged, thank you for posting that article! This makes me want to go back and rewatch The Sealed Card now, I absolutely love that movie, and I'm hopeful that with it now being confirmed that there will be a direct connection between the movie and the anime that we'll see a faster blu-ray release of the movie stateside. It's been long overdue! I only wish they had quelled people's fears about the continuity when they initially released the OAD because people were definitely under the impression that the OAD was establishing the timeline for Clear Card.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
One HUGE thing about the mystery in the new episode involving Kaito and Akiho:

The "D" in Yuna D. Kaito's name is suspiciously similar to the "D" in Fai D. Flourite's name from Tsubasa. While I don't personally believe there are any time/space travel shenanigans going on here, I do think this is still significant, as Fai's "D" was appointed to him as an extremely powerful magician. More importantly, episode 8 and chapter 12 showing us the inside of Akiho's book actually shows us what the text looks like and it looks a lot like Fai's magic symbols he draws. There are dots and cursive swerving around each other and connecting characters together. Knowing CLAMP, this is no coincidence. Whether or not they reveal any significant relation to Tsubasa by the end, I do think that we'll be able to make ties to the type of magic we see from Fai.

Also, you keep talking about how Momo may be some sort of channel or link that Kaito controls, but just thinking about it in terms of the series, doesn't it make more sense that Momo and Kaito are something like Akiho's "guardians", much like Kero and Yue to Sakura, or Ruby Moon and Spinel Sun to Eriol? Especially after suggesting that Kaito may have qualities of the Moon and his own words suggesting his entire purpose being there is to take care of Akiho (to which Akiho reacted sad).

BTW, I own the magazine chapters up to the latest (chapter 21), so I know some things that the anime hasn't revealed yet, but I'm actually kinda happy to see that the anime is also revealing bits of the mystery first as well. Ohkawa-sensei is heavily involved in both the manga and anime as a simultaneous writer of both, so it's very likely that whatever happens in one could have a profound effect on the other, and vice versa. I also really like how they're changing up a lot of the events in the anime. The nostalgia trip from the aquarium was anime-exclusive, despite the card and its capture being canon to the manga (just in another setting with different circumstances). They're following the type of storytelling guidelines they followed when the original anime was airing, albeit with a bit more focus on some of the mundane parts of life. Personally, I enjoy that touch. It's very CLAMP-like and helps set their work up as unique, even if it's not particularly something that only they write in their stories or something that everyone cares about.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I feel like they could easily resolve the inconsistencies between the anime and the manga by having it explained that the theme park was closed down after all the destruction in the Sealed Card and Kaito used magic to rebuild Eriol's house or something like that. While I'm still enjoying Clear Card and this issue doesn't bother me as much as it does some fans, I do kind of hope this plot hole will be something that will be addressed in the show itself instead of CLAMP just assuming their fans will blindly accept it as a plot hole.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm Start to think about the Clear Anime is going to have the Blaze Card but Appear will be the next card
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
StarFan13 wrote:
I'm Start to think about the Clear Anime is going to have the Blaze Card but Appear will be the next card

the preview name for the next episode and the way how at times it feel so similar to the original, its more or less a foregone conclusion .

Quote:
This is Clamp, after all – they aren't exactly known for sweet and happy stories!

which makes my point exactly! (see X-1999 & tsubasa)

the way this storyline is heading makes me highly suspicious that something bad is going to happen to akiho or god forbid , anything happens to her BFF tomoyo (and knowing CLAMP they might actually try it) and it will traumatize sakura to the point that she will pull a ruko from wixoss & completely quit using magic altogether. especially if they end up getting killed due to the actions of this unknown enemy.

while i highly doubt that CCS will be going heading down that dark and ugly road as with wixoss and madoka magica, unfortunately though from the way this is heading, its more than likely that akiho will end up as CLAMP's sacrificial lamb later on in the arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
while i highly doubt that CCS will be going heading down that dark and ugly road as with wixoss and madoka magica, unfortunately though from the way this is heading, its more than likely that akiho will end up as CLAMP's sacrificial lamb later on in the arc.

You're really doom and gloom about a show that airs at 7:30 am Sunday mornings. Laughing I'll be surprised if it gets much darker than Happiness Charge Precure or Mari Okada's Sasami Magical Girls Club.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is Clamp, after all – they aren't exactly known for sweet and happy stories.

*having watched Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits and Kobato... and Angelic Layer a long, long, long time ago*

Uh..... neither of those -- especially the original CSS anime -- came across as all that dark. Sure, they got serious at times, but the original CSS kind of stood out as a show that had no true antagonist. spoiler[Not Syaoran, not Mizuki, not Yue and not Eriol either. Sure, they might have acted like antagonists to a relatively mild degree, but all of them are now her friends to various degrees.]

Was the CSS manga particularly grim? I haven't read that one, but I've also read the Chobits and Kobato manga, and while they could arguably be counted as a little bit darker/more serious than their anime counterparts, they aren't to the degree that I think anything in this show will go to hell in a handbasket. I will be very surprised if it does.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

Was the CSS manga particularly grim? I haven't read that one, but I've also read the Chobits and Kobato manga, and while they could arguably be counted as a little bit darker/more serious than their anime counterparts, they aren't to the degree that I think anything in this show will go to hell in a handbasket. I will be very surprised if it does.

I've read the original Manga many, many times, but only watched the show last year, skipping all the filler while at it, so I can't quite compare them.
No, the Manga is never "grim". What it has, however, are moments when you feel that things really are at stake. "Everyone loses their memory" felt like a real threat. There are times when Sakura feels despair, thinking she can't work her way out of something. Having so much less filler and cuteness condenses the story, meaning there is more drama spaced out over less content/time.

Both the original and Clear Card ran/run in Nakayoshi, people shouldn't forget that. "The target demographic for Nakayoshi (like Ribon and Ciao) is girls of age 8–14". While it's not all butterflies and rainbows there either, I don't get why anyone would try to shoehorn any Madoka-tropes into this.
CCS is not Madoka, it's not X, it's not even as dark as Magical Knights Rayearth (another Nakayoshi title). Even Sailor Moon (Manga) went way, way darker than this. To me, CCS is the "friendliest" Magical Girl Manga out there that pulls it off without coming across as pure sugar. There is a bite to it, after all.
I don't see why on earth Clamp would change that. Not when they run it in the same magazine and make an Anime that feels so close to the old one I'm actually bored with it.

Seeing people bringing up anything Madoka-esque over and over is a bit irritating to me.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

the way this storyline is heading makes me highly suspicious that something bad is going to happen to akiho or god forbid , anything happens to her BFF tomoyo (and knowing CLAMP they might actually try it) and it will traumatize sakura to the point that she will pull a ruko from wixoss & completely quit using magic altogether. especially if they end up getting killed due to the actions of this unknown enemy.

Actually I was thinking more from this episode and the next's preview, that something is happening to spoiler[Kero this time and that either they had it wrong that he was 100% self-powered or that something has changed that he isn't anymore. And all this is leading to her fully having her own powers, and somehow needing to use those to save Kero (Yue is okay because her brother already saved him). It would also fit in with Toya's comment about not having any more magic to give.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11