• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:

No, the Manga is never "grim". What it has, however, are moments when you feel that things really are at stake. "Everyone loses their memory" felt like a real threat. There are times when Sakura feels despair, thinking she can't work her way out of something.

Agreed, and I certainly haven't meant to imply in my reviews that things will get any worse than that. I think the most potential for "grimness" here is in revealing that Akiho is being manipulated somehow. That's high stakes for the intended audience and can be resolved with Sakura's own power and personality.

Quote:
Both the original and Clear Card ran/run in Nakayoshi, people shouldn't forget that. "The target demographic for Nakayoshi (like Ribon and Ciao) is girls of age 8–14". While it's not all butterflies and rainbows there either, I don't get why anyone would try to shoehorn any Madoka-tropes into this.

I have noticed Nakayoshi taking more risks lately with its manga than when the original CCS ran (look at volume six of Black Panther and Sweet Sixteen with the reveal about Anri's mom; that's some seriously dark and disturbed stuff), but it is still a magazine for middle grade readers. Mostly it seems to be willing to be a bit racier, not more disturbing.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
What I wrote wasn't really aimed at your reviews, no worries Smile

Quote:
I think the most potential for "grimness" here is in revealing that Akiho is being manipulated somehow. That's high stakes for the intended audience and can be resolved with Sakura's own power and personality.

Oh, absolutely. Some unpleasant conflict will arise, and *something* will be at stake, even if Sakura works it out in the end.
Speaking of that, a big part of the Manga was people telling her about "die magische Formel, die dich unbesiegbar macht: alles wird gut werden." (~ there's a magic formula that makes you invincible: everything will be all right) Or something along those lines, I never read an englisch translation.
That line was said a lot. A whole lot. Has that ever come up in Clear Card? It felt like a central theme to the story.
Chien93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I just realized something about Kaito's full name.

Yuna D. Kaito. Anyone here play FFX? Remember Yuna's name?
It's the Okinawan word for moon.

That means that Kaito could be Akiho's moon guardian like Yue and Ruby Moon. So that plushie Akiho has with her is her sun guardian like Kero and Spinel. (Sorry, can't remember the name).

It's just an inkling, but that makes Akiho's dreams all the more suspicious. If she's unaware of that thing haunting Sakura, then where does that leave her?

EDIT: Okay, the moon thing must've been pretty apparent when Syaoran had a reaction when he first met Kaito.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 am Reply with quote
Anyone else found it a little bit more than a coincidence that right when Sakura is wishing the badminton match could somehow end as a tie, the Hail card attacks and the match has to be abandoned? Taking that together with the fact that all the cards this time seem specifically centred around Sakura, and a lot of them have striking similarities to her old cards, is she somehow causing all of them?
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
Why does the new 2nd cour OP remind me of Alice in Wonderland and the Queen of Hearts?
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Where's Episode 13's Review? i waited for an entire spring break for this episode review
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
StarFan13 wrote:
Where's Episode 13's Review? i waited for an entire spring break for this episode review

It's preview guide, the reviewers are all swamped with watching all the new shows, this is probably going to be delayed for next week. I'm a little bit curious as to why you feel so impatient about these reviews. You can discuss the episode without needing the review to be posted
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Rebecca is taking this week off and will catch up next week.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there is going to be a villain. CCS never really had one before. The Cards aren't villains, Syaoran isn't a villain, Eriol and crew aren't villains.

I still think this is going to be a situation where the new guys need Sakura's help, but they don't know or can't ask for some reason.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Just many things A. New Theme Songs, B. Multi episode review at the 2nd time the first time was Episodes 1-3 but now is Episodes 13-14, C. No new Card on episode 13, and D. I don't know what the New Battle Suit's (OP 2) Name maybe "Red Hearts Outfit"
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
I know we got a huge amount of plot and foreshadowing (including in the OP) in the last couple episodes, but I'm disappointed Rebecca didn't pick up on what might be the most startling revaluation of all... that Sakura knows that Shaoran is hiding something! And not just that, but that she is putting consideration into both his feelings and what's going on and has decided that now isn't the time to bring it up with him.

I think that might be the biggest bit of character development we've seen for Sakura, and I'm not being sarcastic. I'm really interested to see if she's becoming less naive in general, or if it's a testament to her bond with Shaoran that she can see through his facade in particular (not that he was ever good at hiding his feelings, but.)

On the other hand, she hasn't noticed what's going on with Touya, but is Touya even ever around? Given that we hardly get to see him, I'm thinking he hasn't been around much, and has spent most of his time working or with Yukito. Especially since the show explicitly has a scene with Yukito calling Touya out on leaving his middle school-age sister home with guests unsupervised... it seemed to me like Touya was kind of alluding to avoiding Sakura.

Showsni wrote:
Anyone else found it a little bit more than a coincidence that right when Sakura is wishing the badminton match could somehow end as a tie, the Hail card attacks and the match has to be abandoned?

You really were on to something! Now I kind of want to rewatch some of the previous episodes and see if there were other instances there were of the Clear Cards reacting to Sakura's desires.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Southkaio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
I bet Meiling has a new voice actress in Japan.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:

According to ANN's encyclopedia, it's the same voice actress. Why did you think the actress had changed?
Southkaio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Southkaio wrote:

According to ANN's encyclopedia, it's the same voice actress. Why did you think the actress had changed?

I expected some replacement voice actors in the new CCS anime.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Meiling definitely the same voice actress. Yukana used to be credited as Yukana Nogami, as she was for the original series, if that's caused any confusion. I think there's only been one change in cast since the original series; one of Sakura's friends. I may be wrong on that, so don't quote me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11