• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Restarts Manga Licensing With Konohana Kitan, Hanger, Futaribeya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, don't that beat all. I'm curious to see what shows up in the stores, BAM has been handling Tokyopop's oddball titles for a while. Well I'll buy Room for Two and Konohana Kitan so hopefully the business will hold together long enough to complete those.

Mark Gosdin
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop? Nope nope nope nope.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Dear Tokyopop,

A part of me will always have warm memories of how you were there for manga fans, back when we'd devour anything that came out of Japan just because it wasn't a product of the then-stagnant US comics industry. Those days are dead, though, and you've long since burned all of the goodwill you had with us.

I'm keeping up with over twenty physical releases of manga right now, but I'm going to have to think long and hard every time I want to add a title you produce to that list.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
jirg1901 wrote:
A long history of poor translations, cheesy releases, and dropping series and sitting on the license. This is already a mess by licensing Konohana when nobody has done Konohanatei yet.

Konohana supposedly has Konohanatei included already. At least the same publisher has the rights for both series, so I doubt they would let someone publish only the second part.

Konohanatei was rereleased as a separate series under the new publisher and the "cover not final" image shows Konohana vol.1 rather than Konohanatei refurbished edition first part.

The refurbish editions did come out in the successive months after the first Konohana volume but I'm somehow not expecting Tokyopop to announce that a month from now.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I hope that they still don't somehow have the license the ARIA manga. I've been waiting forever to see that get license rescued (the odds of that are pretty slim though, with RightStuf/Nozomi getting into their own standalone manga publishing division being the best bet) so I can finally have the entire series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
I hope that they still don't somehow have the license the ARIA manga. I've been waiting forever to see that get license rescued (the odds of that are pretty slim though, with RightStuf/Nozomi getting into their own standalone manga publishing division being the best bet) so I can finally have the entire series.

I doubt they have it anymore since they probably had to rescind all licenses when they closed shop.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It's news like this one that makes me feel lucky I know Japanese so I can grab the original volumes instead of Tokyopop's. I'm still mad at the butchering of Seikai no Monsho and Kino no Tabi novels from them.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
After reading all the comments, I lost all hope. I had no idea Tokyopop was that untrustworthy!
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Call me ignorant--fair game in this context! Wink--but I never expected this kind of vitriol over word of a US manga publisher coming back from the dead. Just from prior comments, it seems TP had quite the awful reputation, and it really caught me off guard. But in my defense, my manga reading has always been spotty, and the two titles I still follow regularly come out of Yen Press.

I was about to wonder if TP would pick up Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo where it left off, but now I'm almost afraid to... Shocked

Lastly, can any true manga lover out there tell me if TP's old output was uniformly bad, or was it a title-by-title, hit-or-miss affair?
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:

Lastly, can any true manga lover out there tell me if TP's old output was uniformly bad, or was it a title-by-title, hit-or-miss affair?

IIRC it was generally bad, though my experience was mostly from their LN/novels localizations, which were awful.

In particular:

- Kino no Tabi had the order of the chapters rearranged, I suppose because they felt a nonlinear story would have been difficult to understand. It's rumored this idea created some issues with the licensor so they never published another novel in the series again;
- Seikai no Monsho (AKA Crest of the Stars) first had the Abh language - an integral part of the story - removed because they said they couldn't print the characters so they only left the pronounciation in, then in order to reduce the number of pages used to 200 they cut several parts of each of the three novels, creating an "abridged" version (the original source for this was the old animeondvd forums, I doubt it survived in any shape or form).

That was enough for me. I got the Gosick novels from them years later (before they shut everything down) but I didn't investigate much on their quality.

Not to mention their whole OEL Manga initiative...

I may be wrong but didn't they release an awful version of Initial D and Ikkitosen? The former had the dialogue greatly altered, IIRC.
bronia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Interesting choices to go with only GL and BL for getting back in the translating game. I can't say any of the titles are especially exciting for me, but out of principle I try to support GL releases. A Room For Two looks really cute, so I might have to pick that one up.

I was only 12-14 when I was devouring TP manga, and since it was the first manga publisher I read from there was a period in my early manga fan phase where I would specifically only buy manga with that red tokyopop binding. Their releases never burned me, but I also was young and didn't know a lot about source material and Japan itself back then, so who knows.

They may know their audience better now and will match their publishing/localization practices more to their competition. That said, I have no idea what to expect besides giving them a fair chance. Their releases in the past few years (They did some OEL and Disney stuff, right?) haven't been that exciting for me (underwhelming enough that I never kept track of them), so I want to be excited for a company that helped get me into the manga game.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:

If you take any random paperback off my wall and it feels like it's one bad day from the pages falling out of it - regardless of how old the book otherwise feels - then chances are it's either a late 90s Tokyopop or late 00s Vertigo volume.
Random Name

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
bronia wrote:
Interesting choices to go with only GL and BL for getting back in the translating game. I can't say any of the titles are especially exciting for me, but out of principle I try to support GL releases. A Room For Two looks really cute, so I might have to pick that one up.
I don't believe that is yuri at least it doesn't start out that way.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

That was enough for me. I got the Gosick novels from them years later (before they shut everything down) but I didn't investigate much on their quality.

As far as I recall, the Gosick novels were pretty good. Or, at least, they didn't seem jarringly bad. Same with some of the other light novels they did. I enjoyed reading them, so it sucked they only got like 2 volumes translated... I'm still bitter about that

I still have some warm feelings for TP because they translated novels when no one else was, and some of their localisation, albeit full of creative license, was pretty funny. I really enjoyed their version of Ichigo Marshmallow.

That said, I'm not exactly optimistic about their return (didn't they try and return a few years ago?), but luckily none of these titles appeal to me.
sdsyukichan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
The only instances I'd ever buy another Tokyopop volume would be if they magically finished a bunch of series they cancelled when they originally shut down, or if they manage to fully release a series so I can buy it in one go. I'm not going to get another 4,6, 10 volumes into a series only to be unable to finish it like so many others. Doubtful they still have the license to most of those series at this point, but they did keep the Hetalia one so I have got a sliver of hope that they may still have a few others lingering around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6