• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Restarts Manga Licensing With Konohana Kitan, Hanger, Futaribeya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bronia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
bronia wrote:
Interesting choices to go with only GL and BL for getting back in the translating game. I can't say any of the titles are especially exciting for me, but out of principle I try to support GL releases. A Room For Two looks really cute, so I might have to pick that one up.
I don't believe that is yuri at least it doesn't start out that way.

My guess is that it's subtext, but one of the tags on manga updates is GL (or shoujo ai or whatever tag it uses). I do agree that it's not /yuri/ yuri, but I like the subtext stuff too so I'm okay with that.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:

Lastly, can any true manga lover out there tell me if TP's old output was uniformly bad, or was it a title-by-title, hit-or-miss affair?

IIRC it was generally bad, though my experience was mostly from their LN/novels localizations, which were awful.

In particular:

- Kino no Tabi had the order of the chapters rearranged, I suppose because they felt a nonlinear story would have been difficult to understand. It's rumored this idea created some issues with the licensor so they never published another novel in the series again;
- Seikai no Monsho (AKA Crest of the Stars) first had the Abh language - an integral part of the story - removed because they said they couldn't print the characters so they only left the pronounciation in, then in order to reduce the number of pages used to 200 they cut several parts of each of the three novels, creating an "abridged" version (the original source for this was the old animeondvd forums, I doubt it survived in any shape or form).

That was enough for me. I got the Gosick novels from them years later (before they shut everything down) but I didn't investigate much on their quality.

Not to mention their whole OEL Manga initiative...

I may be wrong but didn't they release an awful version of Initial D and Ikkitosen? The former had the dialogue greatly altered, IIRC.
I'm still salty about their messup on the last Twelve Kingdoms hardcover they released. they somehow managed to omit an entire chapter (a short one, but still). they managed to make sure that wasn't skipped in the trade paperback release, but having already gone in and planned on collecting all hardcover having to buy a second copy in a different binding to have a legal copy of the complete novel was BS.

still salty they never released all of the Scrapped Princess novels too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop is like a bad boyfriend. They took advantage of a young, naïve fanbase (and even worse, many young, naïve comic artists!) back when we didn't know any better and were grateful for any attention, no matter how cheap. They broke promises, licenses and contracts. They released inferior products, promised to improve and never did. Then they subjected us all to the messiest break up in the manga biz by going bankrupt and leaving the fate of many beloved series of manga and light novels up in the air.

Now they think they can come crawling back as if nothing ever happened?! It's not going to be that easy. I'm glad there's a healthy amount of skepticism here.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:

Lastly, can any true manga lover out there tell me if TP's old output was uniformly bad, or was it a title-by-title, hit-or-miss affair?

IIRC it was generally bad, though my experience was mostly from their LN/novels localizations, which were awful.

In particular:

- Kino no Tabi had the order of the chapters rearranged, I suppose because they felt a nonlinear story would have been difficult to understand. It's rumored this idea created some issues with the licensor so they never published another novel in the series again;
- Seikai no Monsho (AKA Crest of the Stars) first had the Abh language - an integral part of the story - removed because they said they couldn't print the characters so they only left the pronounciation in, then in order to reduce the number of pages used to 200 they cut several parts of each of the three novels, creating an "abridged" version (the original source for this was the old animeondvd forums, I doubt it survived in any shape or form).

That was enough for me. I got the Gosick novels from them years later (before they shut everything down) but I didn't investigate much on their quality.

Not to mention their whole OEL Manga initiative...

I may be wrong but didn't they release an awful version of Initial D and Ikkitosen? The former had the dialogue greatly altered, IIRC.

Initial D had awful slang thrown in because they thought it was like Fast & Furious (it's not even close) and they added "nicknames" for the characters like "Tak" and "Ry" because they thought it was cool. Their anime release butchered the soundtrack and added additional video effects made by someone who got their hands on a copy of NewTek Video Toaster and went to town.

Also, Cyborg 009 had "translation goes here" in a speech bubble and you can actually buy that garbage version off Comixology because IshiPro won't allow a translation re-do.

Let's not forget also that they tried to upload an illegal fansub of Angel's Egg because Levy, in his brilliance, thought that it would "raise awareness" of the anime for a license when in fact it would do the exact opposite.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Initial D had awful slang thrown in because they thought it was like Fast & Furious (it's not even close) and they added "nicknames" for the characters like "Tak" and "Ry" because they thought it was cool. Their anime release butchered the soundtrack and added additional video effects made by someone who got their hands on a copy of NewTek Video Toaster and went to town.

I clearly remember that awful localization. And I remember some of it even made into one of the Initial D arcade released by SEGA (I've seen "Tak" myself in one of them).

Quote:
Also, Cyborg 009 had "translation goes here" in a speech bubble and you can actually buy that garbage version off Comixology because IshiPro won't allow a translation re-do.

I'm actually glad my country got a faithful localization (though not complete, just a "best selection") of 009 instead of that garbage.

Quote:
Let's not forget also that they tried to upload an illegal fansub of Angel's Egg because Levy, in his brilliance, thought that it would "raise awareness" of the anime for a license when in fact it would do the exact opposite.

Of all the idiocy he did, I missed this completely. Can you elaborate more or point out some resource that goes into detail?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
sdsyukichan wrote:
The only instances I'd ever buy another Tokyopop volume would be if they magically finished a bunch of series they cancelled when they originally shut down, or if they manage to fully release a series so I can buy it in one go. I'm not going to get another 4,6, 10 volumes into a series only to be unable to finish it like so many others. Doubtful they still have the license to most of those series at this point, but they did keep the Hetalia one so I have got a sliver of hope that they may still have a few others lingering around.

Sadly I'm in the same boat, friend. Some of my TP titles still hold up imho, but I was crushed when I realized I'm unlikely to ever complete so many of series because of the sudden shut down.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta admit to having a soft spot for Tokyopop. Their name reminds me of a much happier time in which Borders was still alive.

It seems like they're close with Gentosha. I could see them going for the Yurikama Arashi manga next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
SO Tokyopop is back I thought they died years ago dont know why now there coming back now they should of stayed dead
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
sdsyukichan wrote:
The only instances I'd ever buy another Tokyopop volume would be if they magically finished a bunch of series they cancelled when they originally shut down, or if they manage to fully release a series so I can buy it in one go. I'm not going to get another 4,6, 10 volumes into a series only to be unable to finish it like so many others. Doubtful they still have the license to most of those series at this point, but they did keep the Hetalia one so I have got a sliver of hope that they may still have a few others lingering around.

Sadly I'm in the same boat, friend. Some of my TP titles still hold up imho, but I was crushed when I realized I'm unlikely to ever complete so many of series because of the sudden shut down.

Yeah, TP was not universally awful, it was more hit and miss. Heck, one of my favorite series was GetBackers (though they didn't finish it).

Anyway, I'll be cautious about this, but I'm always up for more people in the industry because that lends itself to growth
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Of all the idiocy he did, I missed this completely. Can you elaborate more or point out some resource that goes into detail?

animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-03-15/tokyopop-briefly-reposted-subtitled-angel-egg-video/.99784
Wichita

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so this might only be me but...
I've always hated tokyopop's spines. I think the bright red is so annoying to look at. When I was younger and would go to check out manga from the library I would avoid tokyopop manga like the plague, just because of the spines. Rolling Eyes Because of that I still haven't read any tokyopop manga to this day.
If I ever do get something tokyopop I'm going to have to set them up so the spines don't show. Laughing
Wtv

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
bronia wrote:
Interesting choices to go with only GL and BL for getting back in the translating game. I can't say any of the titles are especially exciting for me, but out of principle I try to support GL releases. A Room For Two looks really cute, so I might have to pick that one up.
I don't believe that is yuri at least it doesn't start out that way.

It has a yuri tag on the japanese site, there's a lesbian sidecouple and the protagonists are pretty much into each other. They also kiss sometimes casually.

It's not yuri if you want a full story about their relationship, but it's kinda thrown like that. It's a slice of life 4koma manga that the editor probably don't want the tone to change. So much that the chapter with the lesbian couple sharing a kiss was published on another magazine.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this means they'll FINALLY release volumes 2 and up of Pavane for a Dead Girl.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Sh!t. I bet they’ll fold before any series even gets halfway done.
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Thoughts: They're going to release a bunch of mediocorely translated manga, not bother to finish releasing most of them, and take advantage of young artists by signing them into incredibly shitty contracts again.

I guess with rumors that DMP is on the verge of bankruptcy, Tokyopop needed to come back and fill the void of incompetent manga publisher.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6