• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monica Rial, Jason Liebrecht Return for Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teraman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
I wish Crunchyroll dubbed this instead like how they did Kabaneri which was stellar. Funimation always disappoints with their dub choices with their same 12 voice actors they use in EVERY one of their properties.

Kabaneri's dub cast is just a "who's who" list of prolific VAs, except they're from Cali instead of Texas. Don't kid yourself.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
I wish Crunchyroll dubbed this instead like how they did Kabaneri which was stellar. Funimation always disappoints with their dub choices with their same 12 voice actors they use in EVERY one of their properties.

Kabaneri's dub cast is just a "who's who" list of prolific VAs, except they're from Cali instead of Texas. Don't kid yourself.

Who cares if you didn't like the dub, that's you're opinion, if you like the same generic voice acting and no changes to anything than enjoy yourself, see how far that goes.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:30 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
To everyone complaining about the casting choices, Levonr, you mentioned that they wouldn't bring back the cast from "that" version. Yet, is that what you all would rather they did?

I was stating the obvious, this is a FUNimation dub so anyone thinking they'd bring back an actor from the old dub is dreaming. I'm glad its being re-cast, I can't stand those old dubs. I look forward to FUNimation take.

BlueRex666 wrote:
I find it funny in this day and age when access to subbed anime is easier than it's ever been, people will still talk about the dubbed version when they were already mostly likely plan on watching the sub anyway.

Its funny that some of us want to watch it subbed AND dubbed? Whats wrong with that?

FlyGuySempai wrote:
Funimation always disappoints with their dub choices with their same 12 voice actors they use in EVERY one of their properties.

Funimation has the biggest pool of actors. I'm currently watching Garo: Vanishing Line, The Ancient Magus' Bride and Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and they all have a fairly fresh cast. Viewers like you are just overreacting or limited watching only a few dub releases.

Some other recent FUNimation dubs:
Anime-Gataris stars Dawn M. Bennett
A Sister's All You Need stars Stephen Fu
King's Game stars Coby Lewin
Dies Irae stars Brandon McInnis
Touken Ranbu Hanamaru stars Dallas Reid
Urahara stars Julie Shields

FlyGuySempai wrote:

Who cares if you didn't like the dub, that's you're opinion, if you like the same generic voice acting and no changes to anything than enjoy yourself, see how far that goes.

He didn't give his opinion, you really missed his point.
lycopene

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:19 am Reply with quote
A better example you could use would be touken ranbu: hanamaru. First season had close to 50 sword boys. Each had a different actor/actress. Season 2 is introducing even more
Sentinel07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly enough, looks like Monica and Jason are the ONLY actors from Tsubasa to come back. All the others have new ones.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Sentinel07 wrote:
Interestingly enough, looks like Monica and Jason are the ONLY actors from Tsubasa to come back. All the others have new ones.

Well, that just makes it that much more disappointing now doesn't it? Count me in the camp that's disappointed that Monica and Jason are being used here. As someone who has been an uber fan of CCS since she was 12 years old, it kind of bothers me a lot to have two VAs "reprise" roles of alternate versions of characters they played that literally have no connection to those previous characters outside of the troupe that thought them up. Honest curiosity, was Funimation's dub of Tsubasa even popular enough to warrant this throwback? Are there for real fans of Tsubasa who wanted this nod? Count me again as one of those people who just doesn't get it. I was one of those CCS fans who wanted to like reading the TRC manga but dropped it as soon as things started to get convoluted, and had even less luck with the anime which I found managed to make the mess that was the manga boring and bland on top everything else it had going for it. I think that was the first show where I found the voice acting in both Japanese and English to be uninspiring. Oh well, I guess there will never be a CCS dub cast I can get down with if after 20 years this is what we're getting.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
@FlyGuySempai: Both seasons of the "Kingdom" anime used uncredited Canadian VA. Admittedly, I can see the complaint of certain VA being overused. However, you usu. won't make a living on just voice acting. That's why the VA will also often do script adaptations and ADR directing. Even Japan has many equally overused seiyuu. The trend of reusing the same acting folk or even nepotism goes back to the earliest days of silent film.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey guys, let's be fair to Monica.
I will admit that she wasn't my ideal choose for Sakura, a character who I (and a lot of other people) hold very dearly. However I still congratulated her on Twitter, and she has shown nothing but enthusiasm for the chance to play the role. Her Likes and Replies have convince me that she probably is best for the role, and she has been nothing but a delight to response via social media when the announcement became official. She has completely won me over for her kindness, and it isn't fair to judge before the official product is out.
As an advocate of dubs, not only will I be giving this dub a fair try, but I will be rooting for them all the way.

I agree completely. I mean, I'm not a fan of the casting choice either, but to me it's not the end of the world. Besides, Monica can absolutely NAIL a role when given the proper direction (I think her roles as Yona, Misuzu, and Michiko Malandro are her best ones), and I do plan on watching the dub when it all comes out.

Besides, if some people think the English dub for this is bad, they should see Garzey's Wing in English. ITS REALLY BAD.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Besides, if some people think the English dub for this is bad, they should see Garzey's Wing in English. ITS REALLY BAD.
Or they could try watching the original Cardcaptors dub.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
For all this doom and gloom, the first episide sounded amazing. They all fit perfectly. Justin Briner and Clifford Chapin are defintely my favorite though.

So yea if these comments made you doubt, don't be. These people were just pessimistic.
lycopene

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
From your perspective, sure. Just try and remember that we dont all think and like the same things you do.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
The amazing Eric Bauza is my choice for the voice of Yuna D. Kaito in the new anime's dub. What do you think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5