• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: School Babysitters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At first he really does let the little guy go off alone

See, this really is a matter of values dissonance. Over here we like to treat children as little idiots who need to be locked away in padded rooms until they're 18. But it's important for kids to do stuff on their own. The first errand is a sacred thing. The school building may not be entirely safe, but no place is. At least you don't have to worry about him running into traffic or anything. Bumps, scrapes, and such are all a part of life and can be valuable lessons. Not to mention that the feeling of accomplishing a task by yourself for the first time is worth a few risks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:32 am Reply with quote
Those kids sure have Usaida's number. Smile This is like the 6th time now he's let them wander off without noticing? Twice just in this episode.

The butt stickers nearly killed me, plus the hilarious callback. I was laughing so hard it brought tears to my eyes. But I fit right in, as there was a lot of (cute) crying this episode.

I guess I don't notice the "disjointedness" or whatever because I'm too busy laughing, dawwwwwing, or sniffling. "Don't you like us anymore?" is like baby's first nuke. Very Happy
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
One of my mother's favorite stories about my childhood that she likes to remind me of is when I was around two or three years old, and she took her eyes away from me for two minutes, which lead to me heading out on my very own adventure. I was later found 2km from my Grandmother's house by a very confused adult who wasn't expecting to see children out and about by themselves. Of course, since I was two, maybe three years old, I do not remember a thing of it myself.

Granted, this was back in the seventies, when there weren't as much cars on the road, and certainly no really fast ones. But things like drowning in rivers or lakes were still very real fears parents would have about their children, and as she tells it, the police were very nearly involved in all the panic and hubbub that happened upon the discovery of my departure.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately Crunchyroll doesn't include the adorable end cards, so here are all the ones so far:

relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
^That's strange because they usually do include endcards for stuff. For shame. Crying or Very sad
Thanks for sharing them here!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
It's obvious Saikawa puts bugs on the clothes he lays out for Ryuichi. Wink

I do identify with Kotaro and his books. I don't remember learning to read, but I could read basic picture books somewhere between 4-5 yrs old, so I must've driven someone in my family crazy teaching me.

I wish Kamitani wouldn't be so mean to Taka, but I have to admit, their relationship seems more normal than Ryuichi and Kotaro's. :/
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Coming from an excessively large family, I think the average is definitely somewhere in the middle. No one in my family had a relationship as seemingly hateful as the Kamitani bros, but nothing was as pure and sweet as Ryu and Kotaro's either. I know they are going for the tsundere thing, but so far it's been pretty much all tsun and I gotta agree that I wish they would get along slightly better.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Nooo, the Kaminani bros interaction is the only thing that keeps this show from being unbearably sweet, don't take that away from me!!!

Seriously, i don't think Kaminatani hates his little brother. It's just that he is a rather blunt and grumpy guy and Taka is an obnoxious little shit, so it's more like "tough love"? Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking more about the hitting, which in a cartoon I can let slide, but especially the really hurtful things he says that clearly stab Taka in the heart, like, "I wouldn't be around you if I didn't have to." (not an exact quote, but he's conveyed that sentiment more than once) Statements like that would hurt anyone, but a little kid will really internalize that, and it might be contributing to him being a little shit.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
They can have their banter and faux hatred while not coming across quite as vitriolic, in my opinion.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
This week's end card:

Squidslinger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Inomata swimsuit was the most awkward moment. It happens and then nothing happens from it. It's so quickly forgotten like they forced it just to get a fan service moment. Then they didn't even do that properly.

In a way it would help the story a lot to have an active female character in the club. We see the opening showing the club, yet we're this far into the series and still it's only really two people. Kamitani doesn't care to be there. Inomata's to tsun to be there. The one guy who would probably be there is kept away because he's a pervert. Then there is the one sided love girl who is too spineless to get involved even when she has good chances.

The story reeks of a circular tale structure where it ends as it begins, nothing really happening. Protagonist remains a block head, cast never grows or goes anywhere. The only character that seems to grow and change is old Shaggy. In the end, the story continues in the manga where eventually Ryu realizes he has emotions and the author pulls a Naruto. Giving it the most sloppy love ending possible because he's too embarrassed to write it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the bathing suit thing was disappointing to see included in this. Still, Ryuichi almost saved it by noticing that its pattern matched Kirin's tube and providing a bonding moment for them.

The second half really got me where I live. When I was his age, I did something very much like Taka did, for similar reasons (complete with it's their fault! disavowals), only much more destructive. I don't think I even got punished for it because my mother was so horrified that I was capable of such a thing she was at a complete loss. And that was probably worse than anything she could have dealt out.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, the bathing suit thing was disappointing to see included in this. Still, Ryuichi almost saved it by noticing that its pattern matched Kirin's tube and providing a bonding moment for them.

Squidslinger wrote:
Inomata swimsuit was the most awkward moment. It happens and then nothing happens from it. It's so quickly forgotten like they forced it just to get a fan service moment. Then they didn't even do that properly.

To me, it felt like the swimsuit moment was more just an opportunity for them to emphasize how totally nonexistent Ryuichi's sex drive is. Or at least interest in girls. I don't know if that makes it better or worse, but it didn't feel like Inomata was supposed to be the focus or that they were pandering to a male audience.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(though hopefully there won't be a hot springs one),

There is one, but don't worry. It emphasizes male nudity.

Quote:
The only thing that I'm really not thrilled with this week is the whole Inomata bathing suit thing. Probably this comes down to my own sensibilities, but having a group of adult women hint to a teenage girl that she isn't being “pretty” enough for an outing truly makes me angry. The fact that Inomata comes back out in a bikini as opposed to her modest one piece smacks of her being made uncomfortable; anyone who sees her school swimsuit as comfortable isn't eager to bare much skin in my experience. It's an uncomfortable moment in a show that has otherwise avoided that particular type of message.

You're not really taking Inomata's character into consideration here. While it's very much like her to say she's fine with just a school swimsuit, we know that she considers herself a boring girl who can only study and she really doesn't like that. So it's good she's getting a push forward into being more outgoing even if it makes her a bit uncomfortable. And it's not like the bikini they chose was particularly daring or anything.

Squidslinger wrote:
In a way it would help the story a lot to have an active female character in the club.

But then that would spoil the female reader's fantasy of child rearing cute boys! This is a shoujo manga written by a female, after all.

Squidslinger wrote:
The story reeks of a circular tale structure where it ends as it begins, nothing really happening. Protagonist remains a block head, cast never grows or goes anywhere. The only character that seems to grow and change is old Shaggy. In the end, the story continues in the manga where eventually Ryu realizes he has emotions and the author pulls a Naruto. Giving it the most sloppy love ending possible because he's too embarrassed to write it.

It is mostly just isolated incidents but elements do get established and carry forward (ex. Ryu's phone being broken is the actual reason Usaida didn't call him during Kotaro's errand). Granny doesn't really grow and change, more that we just see new aspects of her that were always there. Inomata is the character with the most development, but the more drastic stuff comes about due to her friendship with Yuki.

relyat08 wrote:
To me, it felt like the swimsuit moment was more just an opportunity for them to emphasize how totally nonexistent Ryuichi's sex drive is. Or at least interest in girls. I don't know if that makes it better or worse, but it didn't feel like Inomata was supposed to be the focus or that they were pandering to a male audience.

That was probably the original intent, as this chapter happens much earlier in the manga (notice how Inomata's crush on him never factors into it). As a shoujo manga, pandering to a male audience is the last thing they care about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3