• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KOKKOKU

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with the review. Maybe one more episode would have helped to make the ending feel less out of the blue. Overall it wasn't a bad show, but definitely not something i would recommend to everyone.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
Call me sentimental, but I like happy deus ex machina endings more than tragic realistic ones. I enjoyed the anime overall, and I like that things ended happily for the family. I'll admit, I'd totally forgotten about the scene with the blonde woman in episode one.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
Followed this weekly from about ep3, and I think the reviewer was suffering from "not what I expected, so I don't like it". I thought it was a great blend of character study and intriguing sci-fi, with enough twists to keep me hooked.

Sure, most things weren't explained in depth, but that's standard in both short anime (one cour is still short in my POV) and SF short stories (I think the manga is only 5 volumes). Folks get so used to convoluted, over-analyzed serials that they can miss out on the beauty of a brief jaunt into a "larger than you know" world.

This one goes right on the shelf with From the New World, Wolf's Rain, and Soukou no Strain. They might not be to everyone's taste, but they are really well-done short SF.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5