• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Receive Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Recently, I've been thinking that critics hold too much weight on "graphics". Yeah, a bit controversial, but a major reason why I don't like the Last Jedi is because the basic story telling elements were off, even though its production values were high and it looked good as a movie.

Anime in general doesn't have high budget compared to 3D American movies, so it can't really compete in graphical fidelity.

I feel like you've never seen an anime movie to have even been able to say this.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
So, what was it about "Spirited Away" that won Best Animated Picture at the 75th Academy Awards that had it so far become the only anime movie to win that category? There have been anime films released since then could have and should have won that category.

In a word: Disney. John Lasseter was a Ghibli fan & in charge of the English adaptation along with several other fairly high profile Disney staff. Being the highest grossing Japanese animated film ever at a time when Disney's own 2D animation was coming to an end probably helped too (Lilo & Stitch & Treasure Planet were the Disney contenders that year).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
As perverse as it sounds to admit, thank goodness I was in two minds about A Silent Voice!
Had my reaction to the film been uniformly positive, I would had struggled to avoid issuing broad, acidic claims of iniquity. Instead, joy of joys, I can revel in the sense of relief that I failed to grow attached. Ambivalence never felt so soothing!

classicalzawa wrote:
And the winner is.... Coco! Seriously, let's not pretend it's not going to be Coco, it's Disney and it was well liked by both audiences and critics.

Well, it is their designated award category after all. I rather doubt that even John Lasseter's fall from grace would stunt its chances...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Weird that 2016´s In This Corner of the World snook in for the 2017 releases and it´s the sole anime film worthy of awards from last year.
I am now off to watch Loving Vincent and will wait for The Breadwinner to hit the web/my country. We all know who will win though.
In This Corner of the World was shown in cinemas in 2017, so I think that is why.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Not surprising. When your name made only a few million here compared to the insane amount in Japan, China, and Korea, it was to be expected. Non-tradition animation just has no audience here (traditional as in kids stuff) Stuff like Sausage Party is about as non-traditional as we'll see gain traction here.

-Stuart Smith
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Heaven’s Feel got snubbed Laughing

That’s two years in a row I believe without any anime films nominated for the Oscars, with the last one being When Marnie was There. Well, there’s always next year. Good luck, Mary and the Witch’s Flower!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Even the Lego movies that came out this past year deserved the nomination more,

People actually liked Lego Ninja Go?
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
CatSword wrote:

I liked it a little more than The Boss Baby, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the Lego movies in fact though there CGI but they almost look like it could have been done in stop motion style animation but still those Lego movies impress me. Smile
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
No anime films win Oscar nominations!? What a shocker! What a scandal! What a scoop! It's almost like the Oscar nominations are as out of touch like US international relations and politics- Completely self absorbed and affluently pathetic!

Oh don't mind me, I'm having the tiniest orchestra in the world play a funeral dirge playlist. Carry on.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Encore22 wrote:
Love how you added that [expletive] Zootopia "beat" Your Name last year. That's just hilarious.

Your Name wasn't even nominated last year. It made it to the short list along with a couple of dozen of other films, but being on the short list essentially just means the distributor submitted it and paid the fee for consideration and then the Academy determined that it was technically eligible for the category provided it got a screening in Los Angeles by the end of 2016.

Since foreign animated films get an extra calendar year to play in Los Angeles after their release in their country of origin, Your Name would have been better served if Funimation waited until after the wider release in spring 2017 to submit it if it wasn't going to pay for the level of Oscar campaigning that GKids routinely does for the foreign animated movies it distributes, as now Your Name has some small level of semi-mainstream awareness in North America that it didn't really have when it got the eligibility screenings in Los Angeles in December 2016.

Lemonchest wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
So, what was it about "Spirited Away"

In a word: Disney. John Lasseter was a Ghibli fan & in charge of the English adaptation along with several other fairly high profile Disney staff.

I also credit the late film critic Roger Ebert doing everything he could to influence the Academy to nominate and then vote for Spirited Away.

Now that Roger Ebert is dead, I don't think there's a single film critic left with his level of mainstream cultural clout.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
CatSword wrote:

You forgot Lego Batman also came out last year and it was a really good one.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, the annual marketing vehicle for Hollywood live-action didn't nominate any anime to the "most popular kids' movie... uh, I mean, best animation" category. Such a tragedy.

America's cultural obsession with the Oscars is really hard to comprehend. Maybe decades ago it was more of an actual awards show and less money-and-politics?

I have to admit, though, the best picture screw-up last year was pretty hilarious.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
So, what was it about "Spirited Away" that won Best Animated Picture at the 75th Academy Awards that had it so far become the only anime movie to win that category? There have been anime films released since then could have and should have won that category.

No disrespect to the pretty-darn-good Treasure Planet (and plenty of disrespect to the Dreamworks-crushing "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" and "Ice Age: Back When It Was Good", with a little left over for "Lilo & Stitch"--dear gods, what a mess in need of a second script draft), but Spirited Away was:

A) THAT good--as in, the only other film Miyazaki's career will be remembered for among mainstream US viewers aside from Kiki and Totoro,
and
B) the first film most mainstream US viewers became aware of Miyazaki's career from, besides Kiki and Totoro. Showing how many people really hadn't seen Princess Mononoke in a theater after all, were trying to forget it, or were convinced someone else must have directed anything so ponderous, painful and nasty as a first US exposure to This New Anime Thing.
Oh, and
C) it looked Japanese, in addition to being cute, so you knew right away it was This New Anime Thing the kids were talking about, and could show off your new knowledge in conversations. (How many years did we have newbies saying "I'm an anime fan!...I saw Spirited Away!")

Even just for a "Lifetime career achievement" award, Miyazaki and Ghibli would had to have won for something, and there was no freakin' way in HFIL that it was going to be "Howl's Moving Castle". Mad

Also, there was no Pixar that year, which helps explain how Disney's "Treasure Planet" got to make the cut with Lilo...Did I mention it's good?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
America's cultural obsession with the Oscars is really hard to comprehend. Maybe decades ago it was more of an actual awards show and less money-and-politics?

Slightly over A decade ago, it was: With only television and Broadway to compete--and back when television actually WAS television, meaning you could watch Mary Tyler Moore and All in the Family on a Saturday night instead of ponderous overbudgeted/overwritten cinema-envy Game of Thrones binges--Hollywood movies were the Great American Art Form.
Oh, and that would be the 60's, 70's and 80's: The 60's years studios threw money at war, musical and history spectacle, because Movies Had to Be Bigger Than TV (and staying home was still major competition back then), the gritty uncompromising 70's, when bestselling books, our national post-Watergate malaise, and the decline of NYC gave us The Godfather, Taxi Driver and All the President's Men, and those glorious 80's, when going back to a 1-3 screen theater to see Back to the Future, Rain Man and Amadeus was not only fun again, it was pretty good, too.

If you're asking "Who cares about the Oscars?", I'm making a certain age-bracket guess here--Seeing as they stopped being actual awards after 2005.
What happened that year? That was the year the Academy finally got sick of Miramax snowing them under with advertising for "Shakespeare in Love" and "The Shipping News", and thought shortening the voting period a month from February to January would shut him up.
It not only DIDN'T (look what it did finally take to shut Harvey Weinstein up, and that was twenty years after "The English Patient"), it also reduced the awards voting to the same fanboy Fantasy Baseball game we play at home: If you can't figure out which were the best movies that year, quick, wait for the day the Golden Globe and NBOR nominations come out in December, and watch which ones win the most SGA and PGA awards between now and January. Sort of like the blind leading the blind.
(And let's not even get into that "Ten nomination" thing they brought in in '08 thinking would be as "lively" as the Globes' two Best Picture categories, after the fans nagged them about why Dark Knight and the Pixar movies weren't getting Best Picture.)

So, assuming you are in that age bracket, here's a good chance: Go to your library, and rent five Best Picture titles from 1930-2004 on DVD. Everyone has their own five-best list, and you can't go wrong.
Remember, now that they're all on disk/streaming, there's no such thing as an "old" movie anymore, just Ones You Haven't Seen. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5