• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Receive Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
I'm pissed about more than this category. There, I said it.

Kadmos1 wrote:
So, what was it about "Spirited Away" that won Best Animated Picture at the 75th Academy Awards that had it so far become the only anime movie to win that category? There have been anime films released since then could have and should have won that category.

Spirited Away had Disney financing as well as being genuinely groundbreaking in story and animation. Also, there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpFvlghpAe4
Mhora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
Anime is almost not a thing in the States so why would it be voted into the Oscars anyway? Sure, throw it into the Foreign category if it catches the attention of the nation Anime hyper
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote
Boss Baby getting nominated was surely as an indirect sub at Trump through support of Alec Baldwin. Hollywood awards shows are more show than awarding.

It's a safe bet Coco will be the likely winner, because Disney!
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
Oscar nominations rely on heavy campaign marketing and favoritism by powerful corporations to persuade the voters to support their films as much as they rely on the incompetence of the individual Oscar voters. The anime industry is just too small and not rich enough to support the massive marketing campaign they would need to to get their films nominated. The only way I could realistically see another anime being nominated is if a company like Sony licensed an anime movie themselves, gave it a wide of a release as possible and pushed heavily for the award. But as it stands smaller companies like Funimation and even GKids just don't have the financial backing to compete with major corporations like Disney and Dreamworks.

Quote:
It's a safe bet Coco will be the likely winner, because Disney!
I know the outcome here is unfair and a lot of people are mad about this but Coco is made by Pixar and not Disney.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:36 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I know the outcome here is unfair and a lot of people are mad about this but Coco is made by Pixar and not Disney.

The difference is but a mere trifle! Their only point of distinction is the name on their assigned award each year they produce something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ericarreza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
Well, here's the reason why anime films (except in the case of Spirited Away) couldn't win or even couldn't get an Oscars nod for the past years for the Best Animated Film category. Watch this video below:

https://youtu.be/KpFvlghpAe4
DaSupremeXtream

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
The Boss Baby and Ferdinand beating out arguably one of the greatest animated movies of all time, or hell even one of the greatest movies of this Decade Period, A Silent Voice is blasphemous and a disgrace to cinematic history. Seriously fudge the Oscars! The guy in the game awards was 100% right! Absolutely one of the most beautifully constructed and emotionally driven movies of this decade and it's just passed on because it's "Chinese Shit" as one of the Judges said in the 2014 Oscars when mentioning an Anime Film that is one of best constructed this decade.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
DaSupremeXtream wrote:
The Boss Baby and Ferdinand beating out arguably one of the greatest animated movies of all time, or hell even one of the greatest movies of this Decade Period, A Silent Voice is blasphemous and a disgrace to cinematic history. Seriously fudge the Oscars! The guy in the game awards was 100% right! Absolutely one of the most beautifully constructed and emotionally driven movies of this decade and it's just passed on because it's "Chinese Shit" as one of the Judges said in the 2014 Oscars when mentioning an Anime Film that is one of best constructed this decade.

A Silent Voice wasn't even that great. The way they aborted a whole arc full of certain developments and interactions for key character moments messed up with many of the elements that worked great in the manga and just fell flat and a bit rushed.

The movie was awesome, but not near a masterpiece. This Corner of the World was the closest one recently (to an actual anime movie masterpiece, that is), and the extended edition will probably put it right there, by covering the rest of the other character's stories.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Ironically I care as much about the Oscars as the Oscars cares about anime.

I am sad some of my favorite movies didn't get the PR of being nominated but it's note like I would have watched the TV broadcast even if they had been.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
The Oscar is a self promotion event of the North American film industry. The Japanese animation industry despite being the largest animation industry in the world, is not part of the North American film industry, hence it is not playing the same game. The North American film industry is mainly based on live action film anyway and the sensibilities of these people are allergic to the heavily stylised nature of Japanese visual culture

So bottom line, the oscars are a joke, anybody who understands movies knows that, even in regards to American live action films the best ones are not awarded best movie: Blade Runner didn't win the Oscar, Citizen Kane didn't win, 2001 didn't win, Apocalypse Now didn't win! So why expect foreign movies to awarded? Specially the highly stylized nature of most anime that makes it inacessible to these people.

So why they should report on it? What's the deal with paying attention to something that is essentially completely unrelated to any serious interest in animation or Japanese culture?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:31 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This surprises absolutely no one.

of course it doesnt.

its pretty much a gimme. unless that anime is under the banner of the same artist/director that did spirited away, there will be ZERO nominations for any anime movies at all which is pretty much the MO for these hollywood elitists who think they know better but its clearly THEY DONT!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:04 am Reply with quote
Not including Animated Shorts, AFAIK these have been the anime that's ever been nominated for Oscars Best Animated Film:

Spirited Away (2002, Disney)

Howl's Moving Castle (2005, Disney)

The Wind Rises (2013, Touchstone)

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2014, GKIDS)

When Marnie Was There (2015, GKIDS)

(sorta) The Red Turtle (2016, Toho and Sony)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Oscar nominations rely on heavy campaign marketing and favoritism by powerful corporations to persuade the voters to support their films as much as they rely on the incompetence of the individual Oscar voters.

Your Name. domestically made $5,017,246 in 311 theaters by 7/27/17 but The Breadwinner domestically made $242,266 in 43 theaters by 1/18/18. I got these from their respective Box Office Mojo pages. With the former having a much wider release and a much higher domestic gross, it's safe to assume that it was more widely marketed. So, what got the latter to get the nomination? I am not asking from the standpoint of which film had better storytelling or appeal.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
^ The amount of money Your Name made at the North American box office would probably be more relevant if Funimation had waited until 2017 to submit it for the Oscars instead of jumping the gun and submitting it for 2016, when it only got a couple of screenings somewhere in Los Angeles that December.

It's nice that Your Name broke the $5 million box office mark in North America, certainly, but, since it had already been submitted for 2016, it wasn't eligible as a 2017 film no matter how much money it earned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The Breadwinner is obvious Oscar bait: its about a "serious" subject and is characterized by culturally "neutral" visual aesthetics. While Your Name is a teenager romance body switching movie that is characterized by heavily Japanese aesthetics. It features a male character enjoying the female body from an introspective perspective, something that you never see in Western fiction much less in Western animation and the average Oscar voter is a 64 year old white male. Hence, such a person is going to enjoy the stuff that follows his own cultural mores to a higher degree. Hence why the Oscar always goes to Disney/Pixar: it adheres to what Hollywood expects from animation: mediocre, harmless, comservative and simplistic children's entertainment products. And so always wins the prize.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5