• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - Invasion of the Old-Timers, Part II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Not literal tissue paper I hope. The ones I'm referring to had ordinary paper, about the weight of copy paper. Plastic lined sleeves were limited to high end companies (mostly classical music) I did have some of my own that were from a third party but I doubt much of the public bothered with that. The open side of a record cover invited dirt. When the paper sleeve is present it should be inserted at right angles to the cover.

The problem with the Funimation paper sleeves was the same as with vinyl records. The bare cardboard was a bit too rough. DVDs are tougher than vinyl records but can be scratched. Reportedly the printed side is the delicate one on a DVD.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Not literal tissue paper I hope. The ones I'm referring to had ordinary paper, about the weight of copy paper. Plastic lined sleeves were limited to high end companies (mostly classical music) I did have some of my own that were from a third party but I doubt much of the public bothered with that. The open side of a record cover invited dirt. When the paper sleeve is present it should be inserted at right angles to the cover.

The problem with the Funimation paper sleeves was the same as with vinyl records. The bare cardboard was a bit too rough. DVDs are tougher than vinyl records but can be scratched. Reportedly the printed side is the delicate one on a DVD.

By "tissue paper," I don't mean the kind used to blow your nose with when you have a cold, but the kind that would be commonly used for arts and crafts, the kind that feels like wax paper, only a lot thinner and lighter. The kind I saw used for those sleeves were a lot thicker than the arts-and-crafts tissue paper though, somewhere three-quarters between that and butcher paper.

"The open side of a record cover"? Do you mean the side that's up when it's being played? Or do you mean the round hole I sometimes see in these sleeves to help identify the record when the outer sleeve, with the artwork and such, isn't present?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm talking about the packaging not the record. The cardboard envelope is sealed on three sides as is the paper inner sleeve. Some people who keep the inner sleeve slide it in so the open side on the sleeve matches the cardboard envelope. This defeats the purpose of the inner sleeve as dirt can get into it while stored.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see what you mean now. Thanks for all the explanations on these sleeves; I was completely unaware of it, as most of my experience comes from the ones people didn't want to keep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3