• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Weeks of Jan 1-21 [2018-01-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm surprised to see Gintama back at the top, given that the current arc is in a sort of preparation stage and nothing much is happening at the moment.

I think that speaks more about the apparent lack of enthusiasm for shows that debuted this season.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm surprised to see Gintama back at the top, given that the current arc is in a sort of preparation stage and nothing much is happening at the moment.

I think that speaks more about the apparent lack of enthusiasm for shows that debuted this season.

While there is some truth to that, the episodes in question are nonetheless highly rated (4.6, 4.5, 4.5). Gintama is still Gintama. It's doing about the same as it was last winter, where it maintained the second spot in the cumulative throughout the season, only behind Rakugo's second season. I think March could still overtake it like it did last season, but it's true it hasn't had as many competitors as last season.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The first few episodes are make or break, episode 1 is the single most important moment for a show, people that drop show rarely come back later, so you need to make sure you hook the viewer. You absolutely want to introduce your major theme in the first episode otherwise you lose people. If the show has anything more to say that will be explored later on, not putting or at least hinting at them in the first episode speaks volume about the director ability.

Unless you believe it's going for a Madoka moment where it'll have a big change or twist, but even that you want to put some hint of that.

I get the sense sometimes that anime fandom has forgotten how people actually reacted to Madoka's first episode, seven (!) years ago. It was clear even then, when the season's competition mostly amounted to Yumekui Merry and Infinite Stratos, that this was the show to beat.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
FranXX getting robbed is one thing, but AOTY Pop Team Epic not being number 1 is a travesty.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
How come the Mii-kun isn't number 1

It's so cute
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I am really in love with How to Keep a Mummy. It is by far the most adorable anime I have ever seen, and even then the tragic backstories that's been lurking around get me intrigue about the direction the show is heading.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
SlamMan wrote:
I'm a little disappointed to see Pop Team Epic didn't end up first. Lost to both Death march and Junji Ito.

Pop Team Epic could potentially be anywhere on the list. It is so bizarre and so trollish, it's essentially a critic-proof wild card.

To be honest, I wanted to see this chart solely to see where it would be.

AksaraKishou wrote:
"Has nothing to say"

This is a 24 epsiode series... It's on episode 2, almost 3....

That's why I don't like some anime fans... [expletive] goldfish attention span. <.<

Blame the Internet for the phenomenon known as "Internet Time," in which all gratification is instant and anyone you speak to is expected to be alert 24/7.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Blame the Internet for the phenomenon known as "Internet Time," in which all gratification is instant and anyone you speak to is expected to be alert 24/7.

Well between watching a show which is gratifying for it's entire run and one that takes 12 episodes to be, it's pretty darn obvious which one I'll pick.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Well between watching a show which is gratifying for it's entire run and one that takes 12 episodes to be, it's pretty darn obvious which one I'll pick.

Not many shows are able to hit a home run right from the start.

Its very common that the first episodes are always the weakest. Its all set-up basically.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Considering Gakuen Babysitters introduced a pedophile into its supporting cast last week and lost a lot of its audience, I really hope Pop Team Epic will be able to overtake it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
This is a 24 epsiode series... It's on episode 2, almost 3....

That's why I don't like some anime fans... [expletive] goldfish attention span. <.<

The rampant condescension from fans of this series isn't helping its case, but besides that, I have never seen any work of art that started out weak and finished strong. That just isn't a thing, as far as I can tell. (Maybe for shows that run for years and years, but that's a whole other category.) If the stars align and that rare situation does take place, it's got to pull off something truly spectacular to make up for wasting your time at the beginning.

If the producers have any idea what they're doing, they generally know how to put their best foot forward. If they don't, then... they don't, and the mediocre first episode indicates mediocrity in the future. When an oddball slice-of-life about teenage girls who want to go to Antarctica can have a virtually flawless pilot and rival Gintama for the top of the rankings after only 3 episodes, I don't know why we're making excuses for a mecha-pastiche that's struggling to grab people's attention despite seemingly having much more experienced staff behind it. 40+ minutes in, and so far it just seems like a blend of Evangelion and one of those campy shows where teens drive robots with the power of sex, which apparently isn't something many people wanted.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

One Piece is my favorite manga, and apparently millions of other people's, and it took quite a few chapters for it to hit its stride. The entire first season of The Simpsons was incredibly weak and tame. The Grand Theft Auto games really took off from the third one.

That is, just because something has a weak start doesn't mean it won't get better later on. It definitely helps a series if it hits the ground running, but sometimes it takes a bit of time for somethingto come into its own. TV Tropes has an entire list of series that follow this pattern. And another.

CatSword wrote:
Considering Gakuen Babysitters introduced a pedophile into its supporting cast last week and lost a lot of its audience, I really hope Pop Team Epic will be able to overtake it.

What is anime but a bunch of suggestively posed underage girls? (Just kidding. They're not supposed to look like they're posing!)

I'm guessing this character is not a villain or antagonist of some sort?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
^Nope, he just likes kids in potentially uncomfortable ways.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I have never seen any work of art that started out weak and finished strong. That just isn't a thing, as far as I can tell. (Maybe for shows that run for years and years, but that's a whole other category.) If the stars align and that rare situation does take place, it's got to pull off something truly spectacular to make up for wasting your time at the beginning.

Only 2 episodes of the show have aired. It will not be an impossibility for it to improve over the next 22 episodes. You are talking as if FRANXX had already aired 15 episodes, and it was a complete train wreck. If that were the case, you would be absolutely right about fans being delusional for hoping for a dramatic improvement.

Just like the most ardent fans cannot declare DARLING in the FRANXX a masterpiece after 2 episodes, you cannot declare that the show will remain being mediocre after watching 2 episodes.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
meiam wrote:

One Piece is my favorite manga, and apparently millions of other people's, and it took quite a few chapters for it to hit its stride. The entire first season of The Simpsons was incredibly weak and tame. The Grand Theft Auto games really took off from the third one.

I dunno about one piece early being weak, I liked it straight from the start, Luffy is an interesting character and you can see quite clearly what the strength of the story will be right away. Simpsons S1 and GTA 1 were weak, you shouldn't play/watch them either, not much else to say really. It'd be foolish to decide to play GTA 1 just because you've heard how good GTA 3 is. It's even more foolish to watch a show whose beginning is weak just because there's a chance it'll get good, that literally can apply to every show ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5