• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Weeks of Jan 1-21 [2018-01-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I haven't seen more than a couple episodes of it, so I can't speak to whether it's a good show or a bad show, but... normally when something runs for that long, it attracts a fair number of people who give it low votes every week just because it's a popular franchise that doesn't appeal to them. However, Gintama never really got all that popular over here, so the only people who are still watching it are people who really, really enjoy it.

While that seemed to be true for most of the previous seasons covered here, there have been some episodes in the Slip arc and the current one which the user rating started out much lower than than it ended up, so it seems to have attracted the sort of attention that you refer to.

I will agree with it not being that popular over here, as last weekend I saw the live-action movie, and the theater was maybe half full, if that. Though it being live-action may have been a factor and I don't know if it was advertised well enough - I first heard that there would be a showing in the area when I walked by the theater two weeks before the showing.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I.....hate.....Gintama.....why is it always on the top.......? Twisted Evil I so want to see another anime kick its ass. Badly.

Probably because most of the shows this season, are frankly, not very good.

They're not all crap, but I feel like even the best ones would have been in the middle of the pack in the previous season.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I.....hate.....Gintama.....why is it always on the top.......? Twisted Evil I so want to see another anime kick its ass. Badly.

Probably because most of the shows this season, are frankly, not very good.
The shows I've heard a lot of praise for, After the Rain and Violet Evergarden, are on Amazon and Netflix, I bet if they had been on Crunchyroll they would be ontop.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
^We've been told literally every season for the last year that being on Amazon has no noticeable impact on readership numbers, so your reasoning is flawed.
I'm curious to learn what the readership numbers for Violet Evergarden are, but I wouldn't be surprised if they also didn't see too much of a dip. I bet Netflix has a more substantial impact than Amazon does though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^We've been told literally every season for the last year that being on Amazon has no noticeable impact on readership numbers, so your reasoning is flawed.
I'm curious to learn what the readership numbers for Violet Evergarden are, but I wouldn't be surprised if they also didn't see too much of a dip. I bet Netflix has a more substantial impact than Amazon does though.
Told by whom? I assume you are talking about someone on ANN, but I myself have never heard this.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:16 am Reply with quote
Jacob mentioned it first in the Scum's Wish thread, and it has been mentioned in a few of these "Best and Worst" threads throughout the year.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
That explains it, I never had anything to do with Scums Wish.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
^It's not just Scum's Wish though, Jacob has explained it at least once per season in the corresponding Best and Worst threads.

Incidentally, last season the show that ended at the top of the chat -Houseki no Kuni- was an Amazon show
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Hmm, my memories of the first episode of Madoka when it first aired was mostly critics going "yawn", including some on this site, so I'm not sure I can agree with this.

Apologies for not responding earlier.

It's entirely possible I'm misremembering, true, and my main interaction with anime fandom at the time was through RPGnet, a small corner of it. The guy who does seasonal anime preview threads there (he'd just started then, but he still does them) called it "a strong contender towards the best show of the season" and "Nanoha done right". There seemed to be a fair amount of enthusiasm after episode 2 in the dedicated thread too (not something most anime got, even before the General Anime Thread started).

It'd be interesting to go through other forums and blogs to get a broader sense of how fandom was responding in January 2011. I see Random Curiosity had a rave review ("an original work that looks like it’s going to blow my mind away"), and I vaguely recall that blog being big back in the day. Its scores in the ANN preview guide were 4, 4.5, 3, 3, 3, and "Story: whaaaaatever; Visuals: 5" -- I guess that's more "mixed-to-positive", though pretty much everyone seems to have agreed it looked gorgeous. First reaction in the ANN thread was "This is something that is definitely going to turn a few heads."

Even for the people who weren't so keen on it from the first episode, I think we can say it wasn't exactly a Kemono-Friends-tier reaction. Even if it wasn't clear at the time that it would be hands-down the biggest phenomenon of the season.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

We've been told that they have no affect on readership numbers for articles, but never once has it been said if it affected how many people voted for the shows in the daily review guides. Not in any ANNcast I've seen or in any of the talkbacks. I would love to see any of the Amazon shows compete with the sheer number of votes a show like My Hero Academia or Ancient Magus Bride garners (the only one I would guess even came close would be MiA... MAYBE.) However that actually benefits the shows on Amazon when it comes to the weekly numbers, because less people to vote for it means a much easier time to reach the top in a comparative scoring system.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
^Edit: Thanks killjoy

TasteyCookie wrote:

We've been told that they have no affect on readership numbers for articles, but never once has it been said if it affected how many people voted for the shows in the daily review guides. Not in any ANNcast I've seen or in any of the talkbacks. I would love to see any of the Amazon shows compete with the sheer number of votes a show like My Hero Academia or Ancient Magus Bride garners (the only one I would guess even came close would be MiA... MAYBE.) However that actually benefits the shows on Amazon when it comes to the weekly numbers, because less people to vote for it means a much easier time to reach the top in a comparative scoring system.

Maybe I'll try to dig one of them up later, but Jacob has specifically mentioned the voting numbers for weekly streaming reviews in his comments as well as readership of those weekly reviews.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

Ah gotcha TY, I don't think I ever saw that one (which is ironic considering that it was a reply to my comment.) It does go to reinforce though that the heaviest hitting Amazon shows dont even come close to the heavy hitting Crunchyroll shows (like AMB and MHA.) Just that the middling vote shows in CR are withing a few hundred votes of the shows on Amazon and vice versa.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
^I think you're misreading the linked post. It's saying that last season, aside from Ancient Magus Bride, whose traffic and votes were head and shoulders above everything - and was the most followed show MAL as well by a good margin - the top shows in traffic on this site were all close, both CR and Amazon. My Hero Academia is one of the most popular shows in the last few years with both seasons in the top 100 by popularity on MAL (36 and 77), so it is more of an outlier rather than speaking to the level of viewship of CR's shows versus Amazon's. Attack on Titan's second season was a CR show too, but I dare say its traffic had more to do with it being the second season of Attack on Titan than being on CR. I'm not saying there is absolutely no effect, just that it has become marginal.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

Ah gotcha TY, I don't think I ever saw that one (which is ironic considering that it was a reply to my comment.) It does go to reinforce though that the heaviest hitting Amazon shows dont even come close to the heavy hitting Crunchyroll shows (like AMB and MHA.) Just that the middling vote shows in CR are withing a few hundred votes of the shows on Amazon and vice versa.

I think the point being made is that if Magus Bride or MHA were on Amazon, they would still be the doing those strong numbers. It's hard to make these comparisons, because we don't have an alternate universe with the same shows on a different platform, but you can't say something like "LotL is otherwise equal to Magus Bride in popularity, but because it's on Amazon it is doing lower numbers". That's not how you look at these numbers.

It was mentioned either in a talkback or on Twitter that Made in Abyss was also in a similar situation during Summer, with the only thing besting it being MHA. But, yet again, for obvious reasons, you can't compare them directly and say, "oh, if MiA was on CR it would be doing the same numbers as MHA"(I would highly highly doubt that though), Nor can you say, "if MHA was on Amazon it would be doing significantly lower numbers".
The ultimate point being, once again, that Amazon has little to no verifiable impact on the traffic for the reviews and voting for these polls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5