• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MAZINGER Z: Infinity Ticket Giveaway

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
A popular rendition of Devilman on Netflix, a Mazinger Z movie in theaters, a new Cutie Honey on the way, and a bunch of Go Nagai's original manga and spin offs getting printed...

Ha! See, person on some message board circa 2003 or so?? I KNEW Go Nagai stuff could hit it big!! Eat it, you jerk!!!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if it has something with 2017 being the 50th anniversary of Go Nagai's first manga ?(hint: it does).

These are all 50th anniversary projects, although they're coming out a little late).
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, yes, but it didn't guarantee any of them would be a hit or get a theater run in North America. I mean, other anniversary projects have come and gone without being a big deal. They're sure doing a good job with this one.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

Ha! See, person on some message board circa 2003 or so?? I KNEW Go Nagai stuff could hit it big!! Eat it, you jerk!!!

Why do you even CARE about what someone else thinks?!?

Just go and enjoy these things because they INTEREST YOU!

As far as them being popular, no, they're not going to be as popular as a Hollywood live-action film because of the general public stigma against animation and anime in particular.
That hasn't changed since forever!
Accept it -- anime is NOT mainstream, and it's not that popular. It has a VERY rabid fanbase but it's a fanbase of (mostly) kids with very limited incomes in most cases.
I see more people going to anime cons to COSPLAY instead of actually buying things. The other big thing that gets done is collecting autographs. It's a very faddish group and the 10-year and 20-year fans are a very rare group of people... Most people move on to other hobbies after a few years.
That's not a bad or good thing -- that's just how it is.

The reason WHY feature-film anime is still around is because they managed the production costs (some would argue savagely) and it's profitable enough to keep going. The reason WHY hand-drawn animation features died out in the West is because they DIDN'T contain production costs and the films were barely breaking even at the end (of the 1990s, the BIGGEST decade of hand-drawn animated features in the West, period) half the time! The expectations for pay-offs on animated features in the West were TOO HIGH and they couldn't make money when these films are costing well over $100 million a piece to produce and barely making $200 million at box office. When they especially DIDN'T sell toys/merchandise, that made the studios sweat even more.

These anime films are being exhibited now the way they are is because enough people WILL pay the $15 ticket-price to see these films in limited 1-2 days screenings. The fact that we can transmit these films digitally by satellite, Internet, etc. helps quite a bit because they don't have to ship expensive, bulky 35mm prints to exhibit the films!

I'm GLAD it's happening this way because NONE of the major studios in the US would take these chances. They play their game a certain way... The fact of the matter is that the major Hollywood studios want to own their IP's outright. They would do REALLY stupid editing and micro-manage these things TO DEATH and inject dumb messages and be politically correct if they had their way. I've seen what's happened with Star Wars and Star Trek in the past decade and I am SO GLAD anime hasn't been completely co-opted by the insanity of Hollywood!

It was a minor miracle Disney negotiated the Ghibli pact the way they did and DIDN'T touch the Ghibli films and make major editorial changes! Of course, I'm NOT surprised they let their home video and exhibition rights to the Ghibli films lapse, either. They made as much money as they thought they could and that's why GKids now has the Ghibli home video rights for North America.

spoiler[(FYI, I think a few of the GKids Ghibli releases have been BETTER than the Disney Blu ray's were... especially Princess Mononoke which had very LAZILY done subtitles in the Disney Blu ray release! They also load up to the menu straight away whereas the Disney discs make you wait through a dynamic load-up of the menu. Sometimes, simpler is better -- especially if you don't want to sit through commercials or a 30-second load of the menu!!!)]

I seriously doubt we will see anything like the Tokuma-Disney pact again and it's for the best, IMHO.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
My dad (who's normally not too interested in anime) and I are interested in seeing this, plus I do like some of the stuff Go Nagai has done (Cutey Honey, Kekko Kamen, and Iron Virgin Jun is interesting me), and the art/animation style looks pretty good, reminds me of modern Gundam series.

The one thing I want to ask is this though: is this a stand alone/reboot style film or does it require past knowledge to the point where I would have to see the series before seeing it?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
My dad (who's normally not too interested in anime) and I are interested in seeing this, plus I do like some of the stuff Go Nagai has done (Cutey Honey, Kekko Kamen, and Iron Virgin Jun is interesting me), and the art/animation style looks pretty good, reminds me of modern Gundam series.

The one thing I want to ask is this though: is this a stand alone/reboot style film or does it require past knowledge to the point where I would have to see the series before seeing it?

Its a sequel to the original TV duology of Z and Great. I'd say a glance through the Wikipedia plot summaries would suffice. There is a lot of references though, so you might miss out on those but otherwise you'd probably be okay. Most of Z and Great were MotW but they were some really good ones.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
I see, thanks for letting me know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1