• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - DARLING in the FRANXX Has Only One Thing on its Mind

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:

If it's not a Trigger show then A1 is making a reaaaaally good imitation of one, all the Trigger stuff/cliches/tropes are there with some touches of Evangelion's cinematography too

I'll assume you didn't see my other comments before responding, but don't listen to them, they are spreading the same kind of misinformation that the people calling this a Trigger show are. This is a Gainax show and both A-1 and Trigger happen to have a lot of people who came from that studio. It's not an imitation, it's not an A-1 Pictures show, and it's not a Trigger show. It's a collaboration, like it was originally billed, with a bunch of old friends from Gainax making a show at the places that best facilitate that. Which happens to be mostly A-1, thanks to its nature as a nearly fully freelance studio, and a lesser bit at Trigger, because that's where the rest of their friends work.
Also, once again, episode #04 is going to be the first Studio Trigger in-house episode.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Simplo wrote:
The ''population'' of the show (that's what we at least are supposed to be discussing) is 12 teenagers. 4% of 12 is *drum roll....0,48! Yes, a gay person is statistically unlikely to exist between a group of 12 people, not even considering that they are asexualized by the community.

Actually, there is about a 39 percent chance that at least one gay person will be included in a (randomly selected) group of twelve when the incidence is four percent. This is calculated using a reverse method, where you first find the joint probability that all twelve people are not gay (= (1-0.04)^12 = 0.6127). That means the probability that at least one person is gay is 1-0.6127 = 0.3873.

This same method applies to the "birthday problem." It takes just 23 people for the probability that two or more of them have a birthday in common to exceed fifty percent.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
Well Alan45, you managed to to get the thread away from the topic that shall not be named for all of two posts. That deserves some kind of applause. As for the dystopian elements, I'll be waiting for the mechs to revolt against the pilots when they get too wise and less convinced of the need for the world's formal political structure.

Thanks, I'm not sure the mechs have the AI necessary to revolt against the pilots, but I'm reasonably sure the pilots or some of them will revolt against the society. One of the first scenes of the show involves a bird killing itself against the dome. I assume this is not a throwaway scene.

O 2 asks Hiro if he wants to run away. I have to wonder if there is anywhere to run to. She does understand the concept of forests and oceans so the whole world may not be the wasteland we have seen so far.

I have a bad feeling about any possible ending. Running away would help the specific individuals if successful but doesn't fix the society. However, any overthrow of the society, no matter how toxic, is likely to cause death and destruction for the majority. Maybe just finding a place to live is the best ending to be hoped for.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
or World Conquest Zvezda Plot's mixture of social justice and loli fanservice?

I am still hoping to see the prologue from episode one come true.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I think there good story inside all the fan-service, but fan-service (hidden stuff) is bit distracting. This show i think was made for a audience with varying tastes.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
There is definitely an undercurrent of frustration in this show, mostly sexual, but without a serious consequence. The kids want to pilot in these hybrid pairs because it is what they have been raised to do and failure to do so far seems to indicate some type of rejection from 'The Garden', a loaded reference in a biblical sense. Sex is evil, but in this situation, a means for success? Lacking a connection is a personal failure? I don't mind the hyper-sexual relationships the series amplifies so far, but failed libido is difficult to define in a way that makes any sense at this point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
@ Usagi-kun - my take is that successful piloting of a Franxx is an analogy for people having a successful relationship in real life and not just on a sexual level.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Usagi-kun - my take is that successful piloting of a Franxx is an analogy for people having a successful relationship in real life and not just on a sexual level.

I like your idea. It's surprisingly wholesome. Smile
Now to figure out who are going to be the big bad guys: The Klaxosaurs, the adults and 'Papa', Zero Two, or all of the above. Again as a biblical reference, there is no way to stay in 'The Garden' once you become self aware.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
So many satanic cult references. [quote="Ashabel"]
tintor2 wrote:
I wonder what things are Trigger planning to do with Hiro to see if he can team up with 02

Nothing. They are planning nothing because they're not on the production committee and don't have a say in the show's story. At all. In fact, there is a convenience store chain in Japan who have more of say in DarliFra's story than Trigger do.[/quote

OMG thanks so much for that. I'm a huge fan of trigger. Makes more sense this is coming from A-1, you may or may not see why later.

First of I have no problem with sex as a mechanism to tell a story. I don't care about highly sexualized characters\ love kill LA kill. I don't even care about the gender roles. I care about the cult references. Not gonna say specifically which one, but what might the symbol "A" represent. You don't have have to dig far too figure that one out.

I don't have an explanation for why DAF is the way it is, but I can point out the many disturbing satanic cult like references. First off we have child sacrifice. Virgins, so inocent they don't even know what a kiss is. "Papa is watching" parents all have masks at the ritual, I mean ceremony. Everything is white and grand like the vatican church. Their suits resemble traditional Japanese wedding attire. Children are going into war AKA child sacrifice. A girl literally dies first episode. The old creepy pope cult dudes watching kids , say they have no use for children who cannot pilot so they are sent away to an unknown place. Sex is blatantly in your face, with kids, oblivious. And a devil girl literally in the show sexing the main character. But I'm guessing it's all just coincidence right? The writer had no idea of any of these elements I'm guessing. Just random luck. Even the part about the pilot with the code 666.

An alternate explanation, Maybe they were pulling from
Occult literature for a more rich and compelling story? But judging by the lack of compelling story from what I've seen in episode 1 and 2, I don't think that is the case. BTW evangelion is my my all time favorite anime. I see people making a lot of points about everything else but this. I've only got to page 2 so I'll keep going. As far as the anine, I'm just gonna keep going. Try and keep an open mind, even though I'm creeper the hell out!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10