• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - DARLING in the FRANXX Has Only One Thing on its Mind

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
If you read my post, I didn't say that. Although I do find most stories set in America bad, but that's beyond the point.
Yes, you did. You even answered with a very clear and unequivocal "yeah."

Wtv wrote:
It's not a insult. It's just saying the writers don't consider others sexualities. It doesn't mean straight people are bad, just that writers should be aware that they're not the only kind of people who exist in the world. Because, you know, writers not being able to create different kind of people is a problem.

In fact, I'm confused as how you can take that as an insult. Complaning about heteronormativity is just saying that all sides should be propely represented, not that one of them should disappear.
Oh, really? Then why is it that in fujoshi-type media nobody ever seriously asks for hetero relationships?

That's because it IS an insult. It is a pretty toxic attack on straight male sexuality. Again, I say straight male because nobody ever criticizes the "heteronormativity" of romantic fiction aimed at women. You're essentially trying to shame male sexuality and disregard it.
Heteronormativity, coming from the mouth of these ideologues, is pretty much a discriminatory attack on straight males, and for no good reason.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
The only reason it has been bandied about lately, is it is the newest ammo in the PC arsenal. There is no other reason to use it in anime circles.

I can think of one: to describe things in anime that are heteronormative.

True, but the only reason to say that is a negative. Also, using it comes with a plus, because it is an academic sounding word, it gives the term a seemingly moral high ground gravitas. Which is why it has been latched onto for this latest entry of PC'ness.

I said my piece, but I acknowledge that it is an exercise in futility. Tilting at windmills.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
Anime has shows such as Flip Flappers, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Super Lovers, Yurikuma Arashi, and Yuri on Ice.

Yeah, all of them feature straight people as well as gay people. That's the point.
It would be hard to make a show in a realistic world that doesn't have heterosexual relationships in it. Also the homosexual relationships were the focus of those shows and the anime industry is obviously willing to make them. If you support those shows than more of them will be made so I am very skeptical of the idea that representation is needed in every single show. Certain shows are aimed at certain groups and DARLING in the FRANXX is aimed at straight men. The idea that anime can't have fanservice shows for straight men because that is bigotry is only creating a sharp division in the anime community since it demonizes straight men and their interests.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

True, but the only reason to say that is a negative.

Not if you think heteronormativity is good.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

True, but the only reason to say that is a negative.

Not if you think heteronormativity is good.

The word is not used for that purpose in normal conversation. It is probably used in academia. The term has merely been borrowed to be the latest catch phrase.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you're referring to by "normal conversation" but the concept of heteronormativity does not include a condemnation or commendation of itself - it describes an idea.

For example: I could quite coherently agree with the columnists that DITF is heteronormative and disagree that that's a problem with the show.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The Parasites in Darling in the Franxx are in a society akin to many real life traditional and/or religious ones: sex, or rather, their obvious metaphor for sex, is perfunctory and only for society's benefit. ....

This is undoubtedly the best write-up regarding Franxx I've seen. I've kept trying to put what this series feels like it's trying to say into words, only to write something kind of half-baked and deleting it before I can embarrass myself by posting it. Kudos, I'll definitely be referencing this going forward, and it'll be interesting to see how much of it ends up hitting the mark by the end.

I also really appreciate how the review called out tons of other series with similar themes. There are definitely loads of interesting comparisons to be made between Franxx and Star Driver, Captain Earth, and Aquarion Evol (I'd add Diebuster and Eureka 7 to the list as well). It's unfortunate when Eva comparisons get the majority of the attention.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The above is why I have hope it will be turned into something interesting. That isn’t a guarantee, but a hope.
Realquick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't even pretend to humor any perspective but a straight guy's, and honestly, I'm tired of it.

Quote:
It's definitely a problem that kinda comes with the show's decidedly straight-dude-perspective so far.

Quote:
Hey, if the series ends up becoming a scathing critique of heteronormativity....

Things the out-of-touch ANN columnists hate:
1. Sexuality discrimination.
2. Sexism.
3. Straight males.

But of course, they don't let anything slide unless it's has decent gay romance like in kobayashi or devilman despite the glaring flaws in the show. Imagine if a reviewer watched yuri on ice and said "wish it had more straight stuff"
Wtv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

Again, I say straight male because nobody ever criticizes the "heteronormativity" of romantic fiction aimed at women.

I find most shoujo ofensive, for a lot of reason, some of them being heteronormativity.
Outside the heteronormative thing, I find 25-sai no Joshikousei pretty offensive this season, and it's aimed at women. Citrus is also aimed at gay women and people attack it all the time. I don't think there's really a bias against straight male, it's just that you don't bother watching sexual things for women.

Chrono1000 wrote:
It would be hard to make a show in a realistic world that doesn't have heterosexual relationships in it. Also the homosexual relationships were the focus of those shows and the anime industry is obviously willing to make them. If you support those shows than more of them will be made so I am very skeptical of the idea that representation is needed in every single show. Certain shows are aimed at certain groups and DARLING in the FRANXX is aimed at straight men. The idea that anime can't have fanservice shows for straight men because that is bigotry is only creating a sharp division in the anime community since it demonizes straight men and their interests.

Look, my only point is that heteronormative is not a offensive word. And the show is heteronormative so far, you can't deny it. I, in my opinion, believe it would be more interesting showing others sides of it. Agent355 gave a very good analysis as why it's like that. Mind you, they're not saying it's not heteronormative, they're justifying it, what is a good point.

Now, I'm not against fanservice, and I know in general, anime critics aren't either. There's some fun shows that, yeah, uses fanservice. I just think that when you want to treat a theme seriously, like the show supposedly wants, cheap fanservice is too out of place. The way female characters are portrayed now is offensive, yeah, but that might be intentional, as Agent355 pointed. I just can't believe the authors are serious about that. How can you criticize something and use it as a selling point at the same time? I think that fact alone is enough to make people believe the authors don't have the capacity to work with the theme here.

Sure, maybe we're wrong, but you can't deny that's the image the shows gives off now.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Realquick wrote:
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't even pretend to humor any perspective but a straight guy's, and honestly, I'm tired of it.

Quote:
It's definitely a problem that kinda comes with the show's decidedly straight-dude-perspective so far.

Quote:
Hey, if the series ends up becoming a scathing critique of heteronormativity....

Things the out-of-touch ANN columnists hate:
1. Sexuality discrimination.
2. Sexism.
3. Straight males.

But of course, they don't let anything slide unless it's has decent gay romance like in kobayashi or devilman despite the glaring flaws in the show. Imagine if a reviewer watched yuri on ice and said "wish it had more straight stuff"

YOI had plenty of straight stuff - even quasi-incest (one of the weirder subplots. I think they were running short on ideas by that point). & ANN staff are quick to flag when gay romance goes down some of the more problematic roads anime/manga tends to take it (they did it just this week in the Citrus ep review). I don't get why there's been such a visceral reaction to two people musing about whether a show that's clearly all about teenagers screwing will go beyond its guy mounts girl something something social commentary setup. Maybe it's because they used a no no word. In fact of course it is. It always is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I consider myself pretty liberal but I have to say this incessant harping on the evils of heteronormativity on the part of some ANN reviewers is getting really effin' annoying. More reviewing, less idealoguing, please. Ever wonder that there might be a link between this over-politicization and Tempest's recent drive to try and increase subscriptions to make up for financial shortfalls at ANN?
kaorv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I find the fact that the female headgear resembles a traditional shinto marriage garment called a "horn cover", given 002's oni horns. Thanks for bringing that up! (Side note: I love the rising popularity of girls with horns that stemmed from the popularity of monster girls.)

TasteyCookie wrote:
The community here at ANN is definitely not that. The culture that has cultivated in these forums tends to be if you have a show that has male targeted fan-service, it is trash and you get attacked for liking it. It's apparently impossible to have a show with fan-service and also be well-written, or acceptable entertainment. If I were to tell people on here that Killing Bites for example is a genuinely good show (just throwing out an example, not my actual thoughts), you better believe they would be all up in arms. Other brands of fan-service is A-OK within this community, such as homosexual fan-service or female targeted fan-service (like Yuri on Ice), but goddamn if it contains erotically framed females for males, it is just degenerate lowest common denominator entertainment.

I will admit that I only thoroughly read the forum for the TWIA column, but that has not been what I have seen here. Maybe it's because TWIA tends to cover a lot of discourse?

I mean, the Welcome to a Ballroom thread was a shitstorm where people were talking about the death of Western values, and that all started with the heteronormativity comment.
Realquick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

YOI had plenty of straight stuff - even quasi-incest (one of the weirder subplots. I think they were running short on ideas by that point). & ANN staff are quick to flag when gay romance goes down some of the more problematic roads anime/manga tends to take it (they did it just this week in the Citrus ep review). I don't get why there's been such a visceral reaction to two people musing about whether a show that's clearly all about teenagers screwing will go beyond its guy mounts girl something something social commentary setup. Maybe it's because they used a no no word. In fact of course it is. It always is.

My argument was asking for more straight stuff. They should let things be. Especially for an anime from a country that's dominantly straight in a world that's like 99% straight. And who knows if gay things will come in later.

Quote:
ANN staff are quick to flag when gay romance goes down some of the more problematic roads anime/manga tends to take it

I said decent gay stuff they let it's other downsides slide. If it's bad they'll call it out because it poorly reps gays.

Quote:
I don't get why there's been such a visceral reaction to two people musing about whether a show that's clearly all about teenagers screwing will go beyond its guy mounts girl something something social commentary setup.
If they were to just talk about what's presented then sure. But they have to bring in things almost not related to the anime and attack it for that.

Quote:
Maybe it's because they used a no no word. In fact of course it is. It always is.

More like because one of their arguments is summed up as "it's not gay enough".
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I think we've had enough of this aspect of this topic; things are floating off into the incivility range.

Personally, I don't think it's fair to criticize Darling in the FranXX for not choosing to make itself about certain topics (for example homosexual relationships)

To me it would be a bit like criticizing it for, say, not being about the people who design the FranXX robots... I mean, if you feel that way that's OK but do you see how that's kind of a non-starter in terms of discussion?

There sure are a lot of anime out there that aren't about anything that I care about, but whatever; I just don't watch them.

The problem here is that everyone's arguing in a loop about a counterfactual, rather than anything that's actually about the show itself and what it's doing. And that's what bothers me about this kind of thing in general; that these kind of complaints drag the discussion into being about themselves rather than what's actually going on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10