• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Even Pop Team Epic Anime's Series Director Struggles to Understand It

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Pop Team Epic. The humour is extremely subversive, and without a solid grasp of meme theorem most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Popuko’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into her characterisation- her personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
It's a shitpost in anime form, there's really not much to understand.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Pop Team Epic. The humour is extremely subversive, and without a solid grasp of meme theorem most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Popuko’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into her characterisation- her personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE.

Kudos. I have rarely read such a pitch perfect parody of pretentiousness.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

I see what you did there. Wink
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, this anime is so deep and meaningful that you could put a random iconic Shakespeare quote, and you could interpret it to seem related to the anime.

“We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.” (The Tempest)

“By all the vows that ever men have broke,
In number more than ever women spoke” (A Midsummer Night’s Dream)

“Love all, trust a few,
Do wrong to none: be able for thine enemy
Rather in power than use, and keep thy friend
Under thy own life’s key: be cheque’d for silence,
But never tax’d for speech.” (All’s Well That Ends Well)

“Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.”(Julius Caesar)

Jokes aside though, it definitely was an interesting experience. I can't wait for next week.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Is the style really that strange to people? I mean it's just Robot Chicken as anime. I think it's perfect for this particular manga.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Is the style really that strange to people? I mean it's just Robot Chicken as anime. I think it's perfect for this particular manga.

Even though the rapidfire jokes are like robot chicken, the actual joke of each individual segment is more obvious. The humor in Pop Team Epic is more subtle (?) and absurdist.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Why don't we all just call it what it truly is:

The long-delayed second season of Super Milk Chan.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I think that most of people trying too much to... get this show. I love it, as well as Gintama, Cromatie High School, Hare Guu, Excel Saga, FLCL.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
This is just Japanese Beavis and Butthead isn’t it? Razz
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Honestly, this anime is so deep and meaningful that you could put a random iconic Shakespeare quote, and you could interpret it to seem related to the anime.

“We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.” (The Tempest)

“By all the vows that ever men have broke,
In number more than ever women spoke” (A Midsummer Night’s Dream)

“Love all, trust a few,
Do wrong to none: be able for thine enemy
Rather in power than use, and keep thy friend
Under thy own life’s key: be cheque’d for silence,
But never tax’d for speech.” (All’s Well That Ends Well)

“Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.”(Julius Caesar)

Jokes aside though, it definitely was an interesting experience. I can't wait for next week.

A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

The real question is why didn't they quote Macbeth.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
I think that most of people trying too much to... get this show. I love it, as well as Gintama, Cromatie High School, Hare Guu, Excel Saga, FLCL.

It's fun to derive meaning from meaninglessness. Humans instinctively think there is a reason for one thing or another, even if the reason that they happen to come up with is supernatural or outright nonsensical. This part of human nature is older than the scientific method, hence the many human myths throughout history and various cultures.

Just because the curtains are blue doesn't mean that we can't have fun turning it into an allegory for the human condition. That said, I won't seriously recommend it on the grounds of being "deep". I'll focus on the fun and wacky factor if I ever explain it.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:

It's fun to derive meaning from meaninglessness. Humans instinctively think there is a reason for one thing or another, even if the reason that they happen to come up with is supernatural or outright nonsensical. This part of human nature is older than the scientific method, hence the many human myths throughout history and various cultures.

Just because the curtains are blue doesn't mean that we can't have fun turning it into an allegory for the human condition. That said, I won't seriously recommend it on the grounds of being "deep". I'll focus on the fun and wacky factor if I ever explain it.

It seems like there's a significant error in your reasoning about the history of myth, in that you're assuming the people who created myths and folktales didn't have any kind of active hand or intention in selecting what kinds of symbols represented which concepts. There have been/are plenty of writers who studied to gain a command of semiotics to employ it in their own work. For example, the way many Chinese folktales were crafted with the intent to satirize Confucianism through a lens of Taoism.
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Kudos. I have rarely read such a pitch perfect parody of pretentiousness.

It's a meme which was first about Rick and Morty.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 am Reply with quote
Ah. Thank you for jogging my meme-ery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2