• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Darling in the Franxx English Dub Stars Tia Ballard, Matt Shipman

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares has a valid criticism. However, such criticisms of Eng. dubs can easily apply and sometimes do to Japanese dubs. However, angelmcazares was tactful in how expressed their criticism.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:41 am Reply with quote
After watching, I think it’s a suitable dub that can be improved once everyone gets “settled in.” Prob my fave is Tia Ballard as 02. I don’t think I’ve heard her use such a deep voice before since I’m used to her playing cutesy characters, but I enjoyed it.

I also felt that Matt Shipman is doing a fine job. He's at least enthusiastic about the role going by his Twitter and it’s always possible for his voice for Hiro to change as he gets more comfortable.

Personally I don’t think he sounds “too old,” but I’ve never been bothered by stuff like that either. From teenagers to adults, there’s a lot of people I’ve met who don’t sound their age at all.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not one to harp on Eng dubs too often. But I'm just not feeling Hiro's voice for this one. Maybe I'll get used to it later though.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Overall the dub is good and Tia Ballard is a great match for Zero Two. I think that Hiro is a bit dour sounding though to be fair that kind of does reflect the current mood of the character.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I kinda have to agree about Hiro's VA. Both in the Narration and Character seems a tic too old. Not the 'he sounds like he's 40', but older than he should. But if the Narration voice is supposed to be a 'older' Hiro, I can forgive that.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'll stick with the subs, its less disappointing voice wise and arguably translation wise. I still don't trust good english dub without them changing too much.

Anyways, I'm disappointed there wasn't a character named 009 Joe Shimamura. Laughing
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The first episode sounded awesome IMO. Easily on par with the Japanese voices. Also we had 2 Hiro voices. Tne older sounding one doing the narration, clearly speaking in the past and the younger sounding one speaking in the current story. I think he did good.

Although a high quality dub is really no surprise with someone like Clifford Chapin.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
I'm liking this dub so far. I especially love Zero Two's voice.

I'm fine with Hiro's voice. The deeper tone doesn't bother me at all, but it almost sounds a bit "breath-y" or soft for lack of a better word. It might be a directorial choice given how the character is. I think its the same voice actor from the Go Sick dub, and I liked his voice in that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2