• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Super Lovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Can someone please explain to me what's so horrible/funny about the (Super Lovers) cover?
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
Can someone please explain to me what's so horrible/funny about the (Super Lovers) cover?

The one guy looks like he's an adult (20+) while the other looks prepubescent (10-12 max, even though he's supposed to be older), while the show's name indicates that they are lovers.
The older guys hand placement is also a bit 'off'.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
From memory they're all elementary students, so the issue isn't so much about the age difference between the characters as it is between the characters & the (assumed) audience - given what they get up to.
Prisma Illya is a magical girl show that has action, comedy, drama, and tragedy. Granted it also includes some fanservice scenes between Illya and friends which does explain why the manga is published in a Seinen magazine.

Lemonchest wrote:
More apt pedo...sorry, loli comparison might be Astarotte's Toy or Kodomo no Jikan.
For comparison to Super Lovers those two shows would have been much better examples.

Brutannica wrote:
Well one of the issues is that spoiler[they become lovers later on in the show after a time skip when Haru is 16 but for the promotional art they used the image of him when he was 8].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
how dare you say the show about a grown man grooming his teenage brother-son for sex is gross

Laughing It's time's like this that I wish ANN had a "like" button.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
There was a sequel?

How about a prequel?

Ditto.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Question about the brothers sleeping together.

It's about the intent of the portrayal: The audience is intended to get off on an older guy sharing a bed with a young boy. Compare the difference between parents who have naked pictures of their young kids in the bathtub and websites full of pictures of kids in their underwear that are there to titillate.

Brutannica wrote:

The title of the anime is Super Lovers and the cover features a pre-pubescent boy sitting on the lap of a.... That's all you need. "Super Lovers" conjures up an image of 2 (or more) ripped or pretty boy, or both, guys having, well, super love; That's not what you get. You piss yourself laughing because you know exactly the sort of trash that this is; You're horrified because the pre-pubescent aspect isn't a side-effect- It's a selling point.
Blood- wrote:
TrailOfDead wrote:
how dare you say the show about a grown man grooming his teenage brother-son for sex is gross

Laughing It's time's like this that I wish ANN had a "like" button.

Amen.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Gucchan wrote:
Lol at people having a problem with this anime but not saying a thing about the shitload of litte sister fetish animes or all the animes with a loli/loli-looking sidekicks out there. Because this is virtually the same, only BL. I don’t care if people don’t like this anime, I just dislike hypocrisy.

That is not what's happening.
Shows that focus on little sisters and lolis are criticised constantly here. It happens for most shows that portray extrem age/power imbalance and/or abuse.

Yep, Gabbo mentioned Prism Illya in this VERY REVIEW. She even now has several Prism Illya fans in this thread upset that she dared to compare it to Super Lovers and besmirch it's good name. And yet in between posts made by people complaining about her criticizing a loli anime are posts like the one you quoted that insist that loli anime are never criticized and that Gabbo is a hypocrite. It's a bit surreal.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:

I think it's funny for people who know what it's about

but imagine you're some passer by who maybe doesn't watch anime, or just knows some basic stuff, and you see a dvd with an adult and some kid sitting in his lap on it and it's called "SUPER LOVERS". you'd be like "what in gods name is this, what is it implying"

also @ the person who dissed pillow boys, i'll fight you
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
You know if I said I enjoy writing loli/loli yuri romance stories that has alot of drama, would I be regarded as a immoral, disgusting, person by the vast majority of the people including this site?
Songster01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
Thank you for this very useful review; I'm sorry you drew the short end of the stick. Warnings about the harm these kinds of grooming plots can cause are important because fans with a wide range of ages, tastes, and experiences use this site. Historically people in and outside of media haven't often explicitly discussed exactly why such stories may be fine as a fictional fetish (fantasy is free), but horrific as models for real relationships, so it's refreshing that more people are bringing this up. I could have used it myself as a much younger child.

As a member of the LGBTQIAP2S+ community I find it sickening how often queer characters in BL and GL anime are put into wildly imbalanced and usually unhealthy relationships. Why? Because it's become the norm in anime. Yes, it happens to m/f couples in anime as well, but at least you have a much broader range of characters so one is not left with the impression that real-world same-sex relationships almost always involve sexual assault and frequently pedophilia or hebephilia.

In the case of GL and BL manga, the situation is a little better, but finding a couple that doesn't make me cringe and are linked to an interesting premise is still very rare for me.

All of this makes me appreciate anime series like Aoi Hana, No. 6, and Yuri on Ice for depicting loving and balanced queer relationships.

Last edited by Songster01 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:44 am; edited 2 times in total
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
The review screams agenda to me and that's why I imagine a lot of people are upset. The review doesn't read like its from a professional but someone with an agenda. Its got an underlying tone of "anyone who likes this should feel bad or ashamed" and that isn't good writing. Not to mention the review goes on to say "the only reason this is here is because we're forced to do it."

Bottom line this isn't professional writing and probably should have been proofread or edited at least once prior to submission.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:47 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
The review screams agenda to me and that's why I imagine a lot of people are upset.

Reading this article made me think that you'd rather have your teeth pulled without anesthesia than watch even a minute of this series. And while to each their own, you need to be subjective as a reviewer. If you didn't want to review the series, either pass it off to someone who does or simply don't review it at all. You mean to tell me that there were absolutely no other series that you could have reviewed this week? I know that it was mentioned that not many releases come out this time of year, but I doubt that you've reviewed every single series that has come out in 2017, or maybe even this year.

Maybe add a couple more people to the review group that don't mind watching these titles? I'm sure that you could find just as many people who want to watch loli-esque anime as could with shoutacon.

Not too thrilled about the judgment posts on this thread. While SL isn't my cup of tea, I did enjoy the Kodomo no Jikan manga and despite the Kickstarter being run by DMP (a complaint for another thread), I donated heavily to it.

Last edited by Cutiebunny on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:48 am Reply with quote
I am excited for Yuri on Ice! Hopefully I will have it by this weekend.

As for Super Lovers. Rolling Eyes

Go watch Hakkenden it is not BL but it is from the same author of Super Lovers and it is a million times better. It also has some nice scenery shots, and has the same director as Nozaki-kun.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:09 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
While SL isn't my cup of tea, I did enjoy the Kodomo no Jikan manga and despite the Kickstarter being run by DMP (a complaint for another thread), I donated heavily to it.

Same man, it pains me to see that kickstarter in super limbo right now. DMP has all but abandoned it it feels.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
More apt pedo...sorry, loli comparison might be Astarotte's Toy or Kodomo no Jikan.
For comparison to Super Lovers those two shows would have been much better examples.
I would disagree. Neither of those works features an adult main character in a predatory/grooming situation with a young girl.

Kodomo no Jikan - Rin's the one acting precocious and aggressive towards naïve 23-year-old Daisuke, who resists her advances. A case could be made for the situation with Reiji, but that's portrayed relatively unfavorably in-universe.

Astarotte's Toy - Naoto views Lotte as more of a daughter figure than an object of lust. Not surprising, since spoiler[his own daughter is not only Lotte's age, but also her half-sister.]

Of course, those anime/manga have plenty of highly questionable material in their own right. (Obviously, "the nine-year-old girl came on to me!" isn't going to fly in a court of law.) But like Prisma Illya, they're not problematic for the same reasons as Super Lovers, from what the review tells us.
Gucchan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Gucchan wrote:
Lol at people having a problem with this anime but not saying a thing about the shitload of litte sister fetish animes or all the animes with a loli/loli-looking sidekicks out there. Because this is virtually the same, only BL. I don’t care if people don’t like this anime, I just dislike hypocrisy.

That is not what's happening.
Shows that focus on little sisters and lolis are criticised constantly here. It happens for most shows that portray extrem age/power imbalance and/or abuse.

Ironically, when someone criticises shows with a male main audience, they often get accused of "not doing the same to (equally bad) yaoi" or "not caring as long as it's yaoi". I don't think your perceived hypocrisy is real, there are a lot of people who don't think those dynamics are cool in anime, regardless of gender.

As I stated in a comment earlier, even relatively "tame" shows like "After the Rain" and "Ancient Magus' Bride" get called out on their flaws about power/age dynamics a lot on ANN, and I think that's valid, even though I personally like those.

It is also not neccessary to list all other offenders when talking about one specific show. Criticism is valid even without name dropping 'Kodomo no Jikan', for example.

I was more talking about the comments in this thread who were calling this one trash, as I’ve seen several of them post about how much they loved stuff like Eromanga sensei and wanted more fansevice. But fair enough I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7