• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Super Lovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
The issue with Super Lovers that it is a show that sells itself on the idea of child grooming. That is a very specific fetish and it is not subtle about it since they even advertise that in the promotional art. That is why comparing a show to Super Lovers is usually meant as an insult and that is how it was used in the article.

I mean that's what I said. You are bothered by Super Lovers because you dislike the main relationship and see it has grooming, but you aren't bothered by the sexualized 10 years old in Prisma. So you are ok with Prisma but not SL. Gabriella dislikes both. I would say I find the relationship between Haru and Ren ok, but I wouldn't watch a show with sexualized 10 years old girls.

We are all different. Bothered by different things. So yea. This topic will ruffle feathers no matter what is said.

You're misunderstanding. People don't "see" Super Lovers as grooming. It is objectively grooming. That's what its central point is about. You're lying if you claim it's not about grooming. That is in fact what is about, and no amount of your disagreement will change that absolute fact. Super Lovers depicting grooming a child for sex is objectively far worse than Prisma Ilya showing some fanservice involving children of the same age. You are free to have your very specific fetish of course, but quit trying to pretend that it's somehow just a matter of opinion. Murder is far worse than theft, and Super Lovers depicts something that is far worse than what Prisma Ilya depicts. I don't like either show, but this level of intentionally intellectually dishonest whataboutism is disgusting and has no place on here.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:

You're misunderstanding. People don't "see" Super Lovers as grooming. It is objectively grooming. That's what its central point is about. You're lying if you claim it's not about grooming. That is in fact what is about, and no amount of your disagreement will change that absolute fact. Super Lovers depicting grooming a child for sex is objectively far worse than Prisma Ilya showing some fanservice involving children of the same age. You are free to have your very specific fetish of course, but quit trying to pretend that it's somehow just a matter of opinion. Murder is far worse than theft, and Super Lovers depicts something that is far worse than what Prisma Ilya depicts. I don't like either show, but this level of intentionally intellectually dishonest whataboutism is disgusting and has no place on here.

I mean i never denied anything about Super lovers. And I talked about how each of us is bothered by something to different degrees. So less opinion and more personal tolerance. I also never tried to be intellectually dishonest either. I'm just carefully choosing my words cause I don't want everyone jumping on walls like you just did. So calm down with all the disgusting calling. You say young girls being sexually depicted as something far worse then the relationship in Super lovers. I disagree. Anyway cheers. I'm pretty much done here. When insults begin to fly it's time to stop.
Mojave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:59 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Mojave wrote:

I mean i never denied anything about Super lovers. And I talked about how each of us is bothered by something to different degrees. So less opinion and more personal tolerance. I also never tried to be intellectually dishonest either. I'm just carefully choosing my words cause I don't want everyone jumping on walls like you just did. So calm down with all the disgusting calling. You say young girls being sexually depicted as something far worse then the relationship in Super lovers. I disagree. Anyway cheers. I'm pretty much done here. When insults begin to fly it's time to stop.

You can't disagree without being intentionally intellectually dishonest, that's the thing. Fetishizing an adult grooming a child for sex is ALWAYS objectively worse than showing a slightly sexualized look at children. It has nothing to do with personal tolerance. One automatically causes more harm, so it's always worse. Murder is always worse than theft, mostly because it causes more harm. I didn't insult you. I said that trying to pretend like it's a matter of personal taste is what's disgusting.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:10 am Reply with quote
Super Lovers: it might not be a good show, but damn if it doesn't generate discussion.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With the exception of the same-sex aspect, these types of situations are often way more normalized than they should be in society.

[citation needed]

Honestly, the only justification for this line I can think of is a need to follow the "blame the straits" editorial line.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

Throwing shades at each other is getting silly people.

This is rather funny coming from the person who was literally the first person in the thread to post, and threw plenty of shade at the reviewer for doing her job.

If you don't agree with the review, good for you. It is just a review though, not some personal vendetta or attack on fans, so let's all calm down the rage a bit and towards each other. Thanks.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Super Lovers: it might not be a good show, but damn if it doesn't generate discussion.

It's the double whammy of making no effort to disguise which fetish it's appealing to while targeting a niche that the "general" audience find especially distasteful. There's no way to hand wave what it's about & gay-pedo-incest-grooming is such a niche within a niche that it hasn't become generally accepted/resigned to yet.

Which I guess makes it one of those shows where the hostility is perhaps partly because it reminds us just how far down the wtf!? rabbit hole you have to go to find something novel enough to still be genuinely objectionable - as opposed to the faux outrage the sometimes comes with incest shows, for example. I mean one of the most hyped shows of last/this year can be summed up as "teenage girl sells herself into slavery & is bought by a creepy old man who wants to marry & possibly do worse to her" & it's a surprise when a harem or cute girl show doesn't contrive a reason for a middle or elementary school girl to be part of the ensemble (& we all know why she's there).

But unlike other shows it might be compared to, Super Lovers gives you nothing to grab on to & say "actually this is what it's really about" or "the show knows it's weird, so it's okay." It's unashamed, fetish driven, romantic fiction aimed at a very specific audience but exposed to a more general one because we're not very discerning & hey, it can only increase sales if more people know about it. That way people who like it get to have it, people who don't get something to point to & say "well at least I'm not that bad!" (see the lolicons ITT) & life carries on.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:

This is rather funny coming from the person who was literally the first person in the thread to post, and threw plenty of shade at the reviewer for doing her job.

If you don't agree with the review, good for you. It is just a review though, not some personal vendetta or attack on fans, so let's all calm down the rage a bit and towards each other. Thanks.

Oh but I still think the reviewer deserves the shades. It was a bad idea. Fans of show she attacked doing it to each other is silly though.

The whole *she's doing it for the job* is still a pretty bad argument. I don't see why she couldn't have reviewed absolutely anything else considering that barring trashing it, she didn't even do her job properly and never even mentionned the disc having cool extras like an OVA. Pretty cool detail to talk about if we are talking disc release.

Last edited by GoldCrusader on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mojave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:

Oh but I still think the reviewer deserves the shades. It was a bad idea. Fans of show she attacked doing it to each other is silly though.

The whole she's doing it for the job is still a pretty bad argument. I don't see why she couldn't have reviewed absolutely anything else considering that barring trashing it she didn't even do her job properly and never even mentionned the disc having cool extras like an OVA. Pretty cool detail to talk about if we are talking disc release.

So basically, "I get to criticize anyone who disagrees with me, but nobody's allowed to criticize me or things I like." Got it.

The thing is, she reviewed it exactly how she should have based on her past reviews. She's often quite harsh on male-oriented fanservice shows, almost all of which aren't nearly as inherently problematic as Super Lovers. If she hadn't been this harsh on it, that would have been a problem. We get it, you like the show. That's fine, you're allowed to. But all the criticisms of it are completely valid, and you don't get to bash people for making all those valid criticisms just because you like the show. You are the one here most out of line and most deserving of shade, not the reviewer.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:

So basically, "I get to criticize anyone who disagrees with me, but nobody's allowed to criticize me or things I like." Got it.

The thing is, she reviewed it exactly how she should have based on her past reviews. She's often quite harsh on male-oriented fanservice shows, almost all of which aren't nearly as inherently problematic as Super Lovers. If she hadn't been this harsh on it, that would have been a problem. We get it, you like the show. That's fine, you're allowed to. But all the criticisms of it are completely valid, and you don't get to bash people for making all those valid criticisms just because you like the show. You are the one here most out of line and most deserving of shade, not the reviewer.

I mean that's never what i said. Rebecca Silverman reviewed both season 1 and 2 a year ago? And while she was harsh on it she did her review in a professional and respectful manner. She didn't sound like she was trashing the show every line. She made valid points. Some I agreed and some disagreed. Gabriella did the complete opposite and her review is pretty terrible to read. She makes you feel like a terrible person throughout the whole thing. She barely analyse the show itself except for its premise and well she does it kind of badly. Missing extra features and all too. Like I know the show has a very controversial subject, but they are good and bad ways to do reviews on a respectable site like ANN.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Mojave wrote:

I mean that's never what i said.....

That is literally exactly what you just inferred. You backseat moderated and told everyone not to throw shade after you've done it plenty for those with differing opinions than your own (not a new habit for you either), and you just said Rebecca deserved it personally. Yea, nobody deserves it and it won't be tolerated here so I suggest you stop. That discussion is done with so let's move on.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
It probably wouldn't have generated as much without the misleading comparison to a non-similar franchise.

Seif wrote:
When the average anime fan thinks of Prisma Illya they don't think "Oh, that's the show with the awesome fights." They think of Kuro and Illya making out. Because that's the bed the show's chosen to make. Getting upset at someone for labeling it as a lolicon fanservice show as if it's an unreasonable conclusion to come to is both silly and unfair.
I'd say it's totally reasonable to label Prisma Illya a "lolicon fanservice show." Heck, this thread inspired me to start watching the second season Shocked However, it's not a "lolicon predatory/grooming relationship show," which is where the controversy lies. Heck, relatively few of the infamous lolicon titles out there -- as problematic as they may be in their own ways -- actually depict a "predatory adult grooms naïve young girl" scenario. Most involve either attraction among girls, girls interacting with male characters their same age or only slightly older, girls depicted as precocious/aggressive, or nonhuman girls who're much older and wiser than they appear to be.

Though in light of cutiebunny's reminders about the Kodomo no Jikan manga (I guess some subplots slipped my mind), I concede that it fits the bill.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I only got involved in this discussion because I didn't think it was fair to use Prisma Illya as an example simply because it is well known (4 seasons and a movie). Poor Illya doesn't deserve to be dragged into another war though I guess that is just her fate.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Though in light of cutiebunny's reminders about the Kodomo no Jikan manga (I guess some subplots slipped my mind), I concede that it fits the bill.

It's cool. Like the 4th Indiana Jones movie, I pretend the final chapter of KnJ doesn't exist for a reason. Mimi wasn't a character I liked, so her end didn't bug me as much as spoiler[16 year old Rin's body not maturing, hence the 10 year old version sleeps with her former teacher.] Talk about unrealistic expectations for women Laughing

I still really like KnJ, but it's obvious that the ending was geared towards placating the target audience.
Songster01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Songster01 wrote:

As a member of the LGBTQIAP2S+ community I find it sickening how often queer characters in BL and GL anime are put into wildly imbalanced and usually unhealthy relationships. Why? Because it's become the norm in anime. Yes, it happens to m/f couples in anime as well, but at least you have a much broader range of characters so one is not left with the impression that real-world same-sex relationships almost always involve sexual assault and frequently pedophilia or hebephilia.

Thank-you for sharing your perspective. I won't pretend to understand the intricate details of this lifestyle and terminology, but the principles still stand in heterosexual relationships. In this case, however, I feel like approaching a show like this, even with a 'good' agenda, it will not inherently adhere to these 'rules'.

Shows like this are pure titillation, and as you already said, not an indicator an applicable, real world example of love/sexual relationships. Kink is kink to all of us, deep down where we live. Nothing is sacred, guaranteed to be wholesome, coherent, or even practically possible.

I agree with you, but fantasy is fantasy. Unless it encroaches on established law and order, there is nothing you can personally say or persuade for people to abandon these desires or stop deriving pleasure from their depictions.

All cats look grey in the dark, I guess.

I invite you to re-read my post. Nowhere did I advocate for the elimination of this form of kink in fiction. I know for example that some CSA survivors write and consume fiction that helps them work through their horrifying experiences. Cutting people off from creating and consuming this material is clearly not the answer. But it is also our job as adults to let potential consumers know that this is absolutely not ok in real life. Obviously a closed niche online community sharing the same fantasy might not need such warnings beyond introductory page, but anywhere where there is a high likelihood of mixed audiences appearing, warnings are a useful tool.

On to the related topic of queer representation: What I personally dislike in SL and so many other BL and GL anime is that pedophilia, hebephilia, rape/sexual assault, and unbalanced relationships are extremely common and these have long been tied to stereotypes of LGBT+ folk. These are kinks, but pop up so often (especially the latter two) in BL and GL anime that one cannot help but think (once again) of the predatory queer stereotype, or the idea that queer people can't have loving, consensual relationships like cishet couples. Love your particular kink by all means, but no one should pretend that it is created in some strange ahistorical vacuum without real world influences and consequences especially when it becomes widespread. When queer people find it difficult to find a loving, consensual, equal queer relationship in media, then that is very much a problem. When queer people are primarily depicted as sexual predators, that is something that should be discussed and (hopefully!) changed. Straight people all too often take that for reality and use it as an excuse for legal restrictions, abuse, and violence, so creators and consumers should not minimize that consequence.

Again, this is not saying such kinks should never appear in BL and GL, but they should be a much smaller portion of the output in comparison to much more positive representation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7