• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Super Lovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueHaro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, even if the age gap was taken out, I thought the show was boring in general. The characters did not feel engaging. They all felt pretty bland. They used the age gap shock factor to ride the series without any other redeeming factors in my opinion. I know that Super Lovers was a popular manga before the anime, hence the anime tv adaptation, but I think DEEN did a mediocre job with the adaptation. Perhaps the source material was just as bland, but I have not read it myself to judge. Animation quality was just okay and pacing seemed to drag. It just was not entertaining to me which is quite unfortunate due to how popular it is in the BL community.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Super Lovers: it might not be a good show, but damn if it doesn't generate discussion.
It probably wouldn't have generated as much without the misleading comparison to a non-similar franchise.

Seif wrote:
When the average anime fan thinks of Prisma Illya they don't think "Oh, that's the show with the awesome fights." They think of Kuro and Illya making out. Because that's the bed the show's chosen to make. Getting upset at someone for labeling it as a lolicon fanservice show as if it's an unreasonable conclusion to come to is both silly and unfair.
I'd say it's totally reasonable to label Prisma Illya a "lolicon fanservice show." Heck, this thread inspired me to start watching the second season Shocked However, it's not a "lolicon predatory/grooming relationship show," which is where the controversy lies. Heck, relatively few of the infamous lolicon titles out there -- as problematic as they may be in their own ways -- actually depict a "predatory adult grooms naïve young girl" scenario. Most involve either attraction among girls, girls interacting with male characters their same age or only slightly older, girls depicted as precocious/aggressive, or nonhuman girls who're much older and wiser than they appear to be.

Though in light of cutiebunny's reminders about the Kodomo no Jikan manga (I guess some subplots slipped my mind), I concede that it fits the bill.

The attraction among girls is the one that fascinates me the most. That one niche in a niche genre that I personally wished was explored more.
Nazca Lily #837256

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
I went and read the manga as the show was being advertised, mostly from curiosity, and the manga for SL is rather dull. As BlueHaro said, the characters are not engaging and bland. Just pretty to look at. I found for myself, that if Ren was depicted more mature and not as a 11yr old, I would not quite had as much dislike for the relationship.

Also the writing seemed to be lackluster and meandered all over. It has been quite awhile since I've read the manga and have regretted the time I gave it. I had continued reading to see if SL would ever get interesting and it never did, though I did find some of the side characters more interesting than the main characters. Wink [/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7