• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Legend of the Galactic Heroes Anime Reveals Music Staff, Posts Main Theme

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan B.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
“Sawano confirmed as composer”
Yep, it’s gonna suck, ladies and gentlemen. Character design is one thing, but orchestra EDM is one step too far.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Morgan B. wrote:
Yep, it’s gonna suck, ladies and gentlemen. Character design is one thing, but orchestra EDM is one step too far.

Quote:
Sin Hashimoto is composing the music

It's literally in both the byline and the first paragraph of the article... there's even a link to an eight-minute long clip.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Morgan B. wrote:

Uh no Shin Hashimoto is the composer.
https://twitter.com/gineidenanime/status/958633369784365057

Here's a sample for the main theme (?) posted in their website.
http://gineiden-anime.com/ginei_maintheme.mp3

Sawano is just composing the music for the Opening.
meronichan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I still don't know how I feel about this project but I won't give up hope just yet.
thenextday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
There's a quote by composer on the website:
"In director Ishiguro's version, romantic music was mainly used. While I respect that world view, I have decided to take the music in a more modern and epic direction."

The staff of this anime have no idea what made the original so great. This remake is dead on arrival. Sawano doing the opening is just icing on the cake.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
thenextday wrote:
"In director Ishiguro's version, romantic music was mainly used. While I respect that world view, I have decided to take the music in a more modern and epic direction."

The staff of this anime have no idea what made the original so great. This remake is dead on arrival.

You do realize that the OVA is not the "original" right? That it's just an adaptation of something that can and should be adapted differently in a different adaptation, right?

I'm not even optimistic about this show myself* but I'm getting so sick of people constantly referring to the OVA as "the original" and blasting anything that is unlike it (I've even seen people complaining about the novel!) as some sort of heresy. If the show is dead on arrival it's because people can't wrap their head about the LoGH OVA not being the be-all end-all of LoGH and not being able to grasp that the new show is an independent adaptation of the novel and not a remake of the OVA.

*The reason why I'm wary is the not exactly promising staff (basically the staff of Kuroko no Basket, seriously?), the cast (Miyano "has seemingly forgotten how to act" Mamoru? Really? And I hope I'll be proven wrong but Umehara Yuuichirou, while a really good seiyuu, seems like a case of epic miscasting as Kircheis) and the format (12 episodes and some movies? WHAT?), and the incredibly boring and derivative visuals. Had I had my way I would have either commissioned bolder and flashier character and world designs, or would have just adapted Fujisaki Ryuu's.
thenextday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
thenextday wrote:

The staff of this anime have no idea what made the original so great. This remake is dead on arrival.

You do realize that the OVA is not the "original" right? That it's just an adaptation of something that can and should be adapted differently in a different adaptation, right?

I'm not even optimistic about this show myself* but I'm getting so sick of people constantly referring to the OVA as "the original" and blasting anything that is unlike it (I've even seen people complaining about the novel!) as some sort of heresy. If the show is dead on arrival it's because people can't wrap their head about the LoGH OVA not being the be-all end-all of LoGH and not being able to grasp that the new show is an independent adaptation of the novel and not a remake of the OVA.

This is such a stupid thing to nitpick. It's the ORIGINAL adaptation and I'm going to call it that whether you like it or not.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Let's face it. The bar is set so impossibly high that no matter what they do we'll bitch and complain. Having said that, if what thenextday rights is legit, we really are off on the wrong foot.

Quote:

More epic than Dvorak's From The New World? You sure are confident Mr. Hashimoto.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
thenextday wrote:
This is such a stupid thing to nitpick. It's the ORIGINAL adaptation and I'm going to call it that whether you like it or not.

I'm not nitpicking on what you call it, I'm being exasperated over people treating an ADAPTATION as the original source material, and being irritatingly purist about it, dismissing any other adaptation that is not like it.

Also, no, the OVA is not even the "original" adaptation, the first manga adaptation came way before it. The OVA is awesome but it's not the "original" anything, it's just the version of LoGH that you imprinted on either because that was the only version available in a language you understood at the time, or because it was the only version you bothered to check. (Also, I advise looking behind the scenes of the making of the OVA, and you'll see that a number of decisions weren't made because the people involved were so attuned to the story's spirit, but simply because of budget/promotion/target audience/etc. considerations. For example the character designs, but the decision to use classical music as well.)

If you want to worry about the show or shower it in preliminary hate do it because of the uninspired visuals, the uninspired staff, the uninspired casting, etc., not because it's not like something it's not even trying to be.

Last edited by SHD on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ofpveteran73

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this staff is showing willingness to go their own way. Trying to recreate the OVA would be the least interesting direction the show could go in. The main theme sounds suitably grand so I'm interested to see what Shin Hashimoto can do. Also, it's always a pleasant surprise to see Sawano involved in something no matter how minor. (-;
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I have to give tentative praise for redesigning Reinhard to have banana-bunch hair. A distinctive aesthetic choice, certainly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Did anybody actually bother to hear the music? Because it sounds pretty neat to me!

I would literally have zero complaints if this version wasn't full CGI. I understand CGI for the ships, but using it everywhere is just plain awful. I'm kind of sad that there are so many amazing series to be aired this spring and this story will most likely get buried under them. CGI worked only for Land of the Lustrous and that was because of that show's unique premise. I remember when they announced new LOTGH I thought "God, everything will be fine as long as it isn't CGI!!!" Well folks God has abandoned us.

Ah, anyway. Nothing can rob me off the fantastic experience the original gave me, and the novels are just as amazing as well (bought and read everything available in english).
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
I would literally have zero complaints if this version wasn't full CGI. I understand CGI for the ships, but using it everywhere is just plain awful. I'm kind of sad that there are so many amazing series to be aired this spring and this story will most likely get buried under them. CGI worked only for Land of the Lustrous and that was because of that show's unique premise. I remember when they announced new LOTGH I thought "God, everything will be fine as long as it isn't CGI!!!" Well folks God has abandoned us.

...It's not full CG.......... I have no idea how you got that impression. Have you seen the PV?

I also hate these assumptions that the staff doesn't understand what made the original NOVELS great. Go read some of the interviews on the website. I think their heart is in the right place. They're trying to capture the spirit of the novels while being something distinctive that earns a reason to exist. Whether or not they can accomplish that or not is the question.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz Media's Haikasoru imprint has licensed the original novel series and released the fourth novel in June. It will release the fifth volume in November.

Actually volume 5 came out last November, 6 is coming out in April, and 7 is coming out in August. Is this a copy-paste from an old article?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
The music sample sounds great to me.

I just wish Sentai Filmworks would put the classic anime on discs, already. I'm not paying money to stream a 20+ year old anime I've already seen three times. Discs would be an added value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2