• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Marvel vs. Capcom's Seemingly Infinite Problems

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
This acts as if the original trilogy was high art with it's weak writing and sub par acting.

Whenever people bash the prequels for hammy acting, I ask then when the last time they watched the originals was. Star Wars was always hammy, like Luke's "Nooo" during the Vader reveal. It's a space opera. The sequels feel entirely different in tone, setting, and content though. It's a clear shift, like post Golden Era Simpsons or Spongebob. And seriously though, a Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford? Who cares.

Beatdigga wrote:
The fault lies entirely with Capcom.
Pretty sure Marvel/Disney have the say on which Marvel characters make it into the game. Hense the blantant MCU pandering. Capcom's only blame is their roster, so no Ryuichi Naruhodo, Viewtiful Joe, or Tron Bonne is on them.

Just play 2, or even 3. 2 has that good old comicy Marvel.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
The problem was that even if Marvel said not to include certain stuff, Capcom was so dead-set on reusing assets that they weren’t replaced with anything. You couldn’t use the Goblin, the Vulture, Blade, Ms. Marvel, Luke Cage, Daredevil, etc, etc? None of them?

No because they involved making new assets which Capcom refused to do. Why else would Spencer be back?
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The problem was that even if Marvel said not to include certain stuff, Capcom was so dead-set on reusing assets that they weren’t replaced with anything. You couldn’t use the Goblin, the Vulture, Blade, Ms. Marvel, Luke Cage, Daredevil, etc, etc? None of them?

No because they involved making new assets which Capcom refused to do. Why else would Spencer be back?

You know what, you're right. Capcom's habit of wanting to create joint project licensed games for movie based properties have now shown why such a desire is actually a bad thing. Everytime they've tried and failed to land a license, they've actually made more imaginative, more creative, and more engaging mirror series inspired by their intended license.

While Marvel VS Capcom prior was great because they used materials from the comics and cartoons, this shows why bloated movie franchises don't make for great video games. Marvel is a pathetic husk of what it was prior to the 2000s. They've should have made a game out of Boku No Hero Academia.

UPDATE:

Wikipedia cites n wrote:
While speaking at E3 2017, Evans explained how they picked the roster based on which characters Marvel was currently pushing or planning to push in the future.

This game is like an autopsy of a dumpster fire's incendiary agents. I swear, we'll get to a piece of truth that shows that Marvel also dances to the strings of Disney, but for what it is now, Marvel is more guilty than Capcom regarding its execution. Capcom probably up and knew how dumb and stupid this mess was going to get. If Capcom showed no effort out of Street Fighter V, we'd have seen it by them not including any new or notable characters into that new installment. [/quote]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Capcom defenders can go “Muh X-Men!” all they want,

Those people were defenders of Capcom!?

Beatdigga wrote:
but there were alternatives. Blade, Ms. Marvel, Vision, etc, etc. But Crapcom being super cheap gave people none of that,

Not for nothing but of those three characters wouldn't Blade be one of the least requested characters and largely only because of the Wesley Snipes movies?

Beatdigga wrote:

Let's go full hog practically most of Infinite's roster are from previous MvC games (or in Thanos case from MSH) and the practice of reusing assets for supposedly newer games isn't really a new idea for them given that the original MvC and the 2nd game was built on the bones of X-Men COTA, Marvel SH, and the SF Alpha games.

TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
If Capcom showed no effort out of Street Fighter V, we'd have seen it by them not including any new or notable characters into that new installment.

Oh that you can blame on the reception to the EX and Street Fighter III trilogies (though they have been including new characters into V) apparently people don't like it when you jettison older characters in favor of a roster full of newer ones. Which is why SF4 and 5 have rosters featuring SF1 and 2 (with some alpha) holdovers.

Lord Oink wrote:
And seriously though, a Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford?

Well it is a prequel and considering how much of mess the movie's production apparently was Ford might've dodged a bullet.

Lord Oink wrote:
Pretty sure Marvel/Disney have the say on which Marvel characters make it into the game.

It's most definitely why some of the themes sound like the MCU's music along with how some of the voice actors are plucked directly from the animated shows.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Assuming the Disney/Fox merger will go through, can't they just partially salvage MvCI with an update that includes Wolverine, Magneto and other X-Men characters?

They could...but it won't be for a while. It is possible that Capcom is working on the X-Men, Deadpool, and Fantastic Four characters right now (and possibly other Marvel properties Fox owns, whichever ones they are), but it will be several months, if not over a year, before they'll be in a state ready for public use. It takes a long time for a game character to go from concept to final.

Remember that though Greninja was put in the launch roster for Super Smash Bros. 4,only a few months after Pokeemon X and Y, development for Greninja started when the Pokémon itself was still in the planning phase.

Beatdigga wrote:

If you mean Spencer as in the Bionic Commando, that's because he's part of the Capcom side, which I presume Capcom is a lot freer to pick from. As for the Marvel side, I'm sure Disney really wants to promote the MCU, and characters who haven't appeared in the MCU or aren't due to appear in an upcoming movie will have a much harder time getting in. That being said, MvC3, as has been pointed out before, also fell under movie-related constraints.

TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
While Marvel VS Capcom prior was great because they used materials from the comics and cartoons, this shows why bloated movie franchises don't make for great video games. Marvel is a pathetic husk of what it was prior to the 2000s. They've should have made a game out of Boku No Hero Academia.

It does make sense from Marvel's side though. Marvel's comic book department was rapidly losing money through the Comic Book Crash, and had they not gone into movies, Marvel would not exist in the present. As much as fans of the comic books they publish are understandably upset at how much they've prioritized their movies (more so since Disney bought the company), it is by far their biggest source of revenue and arguably the only thing keeping them publically relevant, so it would make sense for them to cater to the fans of the MCU first.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not for nothing but of those three characters wouldn't Blade be one of the least requested characters and largely only because of the Wesley Snipes movies?

Though it was prior to the Disney buyout, Zen Studios DID manage to release a virtual pinball game themed on Blade (and it has a pretty neat day/night mechanic that hasn't been used in physical machines, but I digress). Even after Disney bought Marvel, Zen has continued to use their Marvel license to make stuff based on the comic books more so than the movies, though they do make a lot of MCU-themed ones (like the recent Guardians of the Galaxy one, though the Deadpool one has nothing to do with the movie).

I wonder if, comparing Capcom and Zen, it's due to Capcom's high profile status that binds them more heavily than a small company like Zen, whose development team members more or less are free to use whatever they want from the company.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh that you can blame on the reception to the EX and Street Fighter III trilogies (though they have been including new characters into V) apparently people don't like it when you jettison older characters in favor of a roster full of newer ones. Which is why SF4 and 5 have rosters featuring SF1 and 2 (with some alpha) holdovers.

I find that the irony runs strong when those you've mentioned reveal themselves to be Alpha series fans. Granted, Final Fight was successfully integrated into Street Fighter by that point and most "new" faces were given returns from the very first Street Fighter, but EX had a majority of mainstays even into its first game and III was an earnest attempt at not simply repeating SFII. Even the first edition of IV was held with some mild reception because of how you had to unlock everyone Tekken style through arcade mode.

As for MVC:I itself, I've learned that if Capcom merely pulls off a Capcom Fighting Evolution ie not put effort into the roster and gameplay, in some major way shape and/or form, that's when they've said "we give up". I've also got a major conspiracy theory that no Star Gladiator character has appeared into MVC since 2 because Star Gladiator is the burning and seared reminder that Lucasarts got one upped by Capcom for beating them at their own game and that Disney's (failing) Star Wars continuation wants no competition and does so by nipping opposition at the bud, but that's for another day.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
It does make sense from Marvel's side though. Marvel's comic book department was rapidly losing money through the Comic Book Crash, and had they not gone into movies, Marvel would not exist in the present. As much as fans of the comic books they publish are understandably upset at how much they've prioritized their movies (more so since Disney bought the company), it is by far their biggest source of revenue and arguably the only thing keeping them publically relevant, so it would make sense for them to cater to the fans of the MCU first.

They'd best make more movies. MCU pales in comparison to what variety of characters they have as their original source material and even if the bridge has been made with that buyout, the aftermath is lingering to this day and I see no recovery in sight. I also find to my analysis that movie based fighting games are a bad move because of the nature of the narrative and characterization within film and theatrical movies: casts are slim pickings and unless that gap can be bridged with having been a sequel chain series or an extended universe, even then, it's going to require serious creativity to fill in those gaps.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Ms. Marvel is there, unless you mean the other one, who isnt in the MCU as far as I know. Neither is Green Goblin. Are Netflix shows part of the MCU? Are they big/interesting enough to warrant shilling?

Wont deny reusing assets isn't uncommon, but they made plenty of new assets for their new movie darlings.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Publically relevant, maybe, but comics still exist, just as a niche medium. Marvel just wasn't really satisfied with that. Maybe it's more of a blessing than a curse DC hasn't been able to replicate their success, since DC still puts out decent books and generally controls the market, despite all of the publicity Marvel gets. I just find it amazing all the hype movies get translate to 0 sales. Despite the near-constant hype and praise for Black Panther, the book barely cracked 20K last month. Whenever an anime debuts, you always see a bump in manga sales. Dedicated fanbase VS movie-goers who only care when a new movie is coming, I guess.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Publically relevant, maybe, but comics still exist, just as a niche medium. Marvel just wasn't really satisfied with that. Maybe it's more of a blessing than a curse DC hasn't been able to replicate their success, since DC still puts out decent books and generally controls the market, despite all of the publicity Marvel gets. I just find it amazing all the hype movies get translate to 0 sales. Despite the near-constant hype and praise for Black Panther, the book barely cracked 20K last month. Whenever an anime debuts, you always see a bump in manga sales. Dedicated fanbase VS movie-goers who only care when a new movie is coming, I guess.

Well, there isn't really a lot of cross-promotion nor easy availability like there is with the relationship between anime and manga. There's also a difference in culture here: People in the west are more likely to prefer their entertainment in formats where they don't have to read it (as you can see in how books-on-tape services like Audible have taken off). I mean, you get a bump in manga sales if an anime takes off here too, but it's not nearly as pronounced as it is in Japan.

I think companies like Marvel and DC COULD use their movies to promote their comic books, though, if they both make it clear there are more stories with this/these character(s) in the marketing (which must also be reciprocated by businesses that sell comic books--Barnes & Noble is the only one currently doing this that I've seen, but it's still limited to in-store displays and on their e-newsletters, meaning the general public won't know) AND comic books were made easier to access. Comic books have always had limited presence at normal bookstores, and modern eBook services with extensive comic book libraries like Comixology are not well-known to the public.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I used to work at a comic store when I was younger, and became good friends with the owner and his family who I still talk to to this day. Recently, he made a comment on this very issue how he does get some people coming looking to get into Marvel after a movie drops, but most of the time he ends up spending five minutes explaining situations like why Iron Man isn't Tony Stark like they saw in the movies, but a random black woman now. Then they usually just buy a Funko Pop or something small and leave.

Needless to say, Marvel does need to work on their marketing. Their comic division is caught between trying to pander to the diversity crowd, but also cash in on the movie audience and longtime fans.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
While this is only based on personal experiences and should not be taken as representative of what every location is like, a major thing is that general people don't visit comic book stores very much. That is, a major problem with the marketing, for both Marvel and DC (and Image and Dark Horse and so forth) is that there is a pretty narrow range of retailers stocking their comic books.

Comic books can benefit quite a lot from impulse purchases, as they are inexpensive (not as much as they used to be, but still very affordable) and contain recognizable characters and brand names. Hence, I think the biggest benefit to helping them sell, and getting that increase when a movie comes out, is to sell them in places where people who watched these movies will visit, and where it makes sense to find them: Not just bookstores like Barnes & Noble, but department stores like Walmart and Target, wholesale stores like Costco and Sam's Club where they can sell the thicker compilation books, maybe even in supermarkets like what Archie Comics has been doing for a while and the new Amazon brick-and-mortar stores. (Online is a different matter; as people are less likely to make impulse purchases online.)

That's what I believe, at least.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I used to work at a comic store when I was younger, and became good friends with the owner and his family who I still talk to to this day. Recently, he made a comment on this very issue how he does get some people coming looking to get into Marvel after a movie drops, but most of the time he ends up spending five minutes explaining situations like why Iron Man isn't Tony Stark like they saw in the movies, but a random black woman now.

Wonder how these people felt about Doctor Doom also becoming Iron Man, or when Marvel had Rhodes become Iron Man decades prior to Riri Williams, or that status quo is god trope assures that Tony will go back to being Iron Man eventually (which has or will be happening in the comics).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
It helps that DOOM and Rhodes don’t suck.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Wonder how these people felt about Doctor Doom also becoming Iron Man, or when Marvel had Rhodes become Iron Man decades prior to Riri Williams, or that status quo is god trope assures that Tony will go back to being Iron Man eventually (which has or will be happening in the comics).

I don't recall Doom being Iron Man, it must be a recent thing. But keep in mind when Rhodey took over as Iron Man temporarily, it was back during the 80s. Iron Man was a C list hero before the MCU. No one was really asking about him who wasn't already into comics. His first cartoon came out in the mid 90s and wasn't really popular like the Spider-Man and X-Men ones.

Also, for what it's worth, when Rhodey did it he purposely disguised himself as Tony when Tony was too inebriated to suit up. He wasn't trying to be the new Iron Man, but in fact keep up the illusion Tony Stark was still Iron Man in the eyes of other heroes and the public and that nothing was wrong.

-Stuart Smith
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I think for what it is now, this game is a sign of the times. Things surely aren't what they are like they were back in their prime. Capcom may be still finding their way back up, but Marvel has a lot they need to face and fix. After the MCU, what's next? As I've seen written here, it's all back onto their comics. It's nothing like the manga industry, and they have a lot of catching up to do.

I've realized that Marvel VS Capcom is also an industry reflection as much as it is a platform to popularize and bring their works into the public light. With how Infinite is, I think the dynasty that has made itself known worldwide has now seen its twilight. Maybe the only solution is to go their separate ways and try again another day.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I love how Black Panther is going to make a billion dollars and the Capcom defenders think Marvel is the entire problem.

Capcom paid for nothing! Their story was horrible!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3