• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When Gundam Came to Hollywood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:54 am Reply with quote
Somehow the changes in this proposed Gundam movie reminds me of the changes that Dune 1984 movie did like the Emperor is a large investor of the company that mines the Spice Melange when in the book he just controls the planet that has the Spice Melange and other weird stuff.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Does anybody actually think the last Star Wars movie was written by someone who was a FAN of the original series, let alone the Jedi or Luke Skywalker?!?

Yes I mean I know this might be hard for some segments of the fanbase to acknowledge but Johnson is a Star Wars fan and of Luke and the Jedi. By that same token Lucas himself must've not been too much of fan of those aspects either given some of the questionable decisions he made with the film's and it's associated elements.

GeorgeC wrote:

POORLY written to boot with plot logic and meaningless outcomes from the subplots (that waste valuable film time and make the bloated screen time less than its worth)

That sounds an awful lot like original star wars though.

GeorgeC wrote:

were fans of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg but they have no freaking clue about what made those gentlemen's earlier films of the 1970s and 1980s actually work!

. ..Hammy/bad acting acting, cringey writing, and cheesy special effects?

GeorgeC wrote:

Let's be frank -- the best Star Wars movie was NOT directed by Lucas but his mentor/instructor (Irvin Kershner) from back in film school. It was edited like a Lucas film but THE ACTORS were obviously not directed by George Lucas!

With Luke and Han having the two worse lines in that film I wonder about that.

GeorgeC wrote:

And furthermore, we really don't do sci-fi in the West. The "Big Two" are NOT really sci-fi but Westerns moved into a galactic/stellar setting.

When you say westerns do you mean cowboy westerns or fantasy westerns because neither Star Trek or Star Wars fall under the first category.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
As intrigued by having Gundam come out in 1983 vs now. I'm still not budging from my "I don't trust hollywood" stance of making stuff from Japan well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3