• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Uncomfortably Real with Anime World Order

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Of Winter 2018 Pop Team Epic is probably the things I liked the most of Winter 2018 followed by Koi wa Ameagari no You ni which surprised me at how good it is. Time Bokan 24 would be my pick for an obscure series that I watch that not many people talk about. It's a weird educational series but I enjoy it.

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has made a "video essay" before, the biggest thing that keeps me from doing it more is simply that it's a larger time sink, at least the way that I did it was. Essentially, I have to write the essay itself, which is what I do on a normal basis for my blog, but after that I then have to record my voice reading the essay (which I'm still never fully comfy with) & choose the best takes, pick video clips from what I'm covering (ideally to match something I'm talking about & figure out where they have to go, possibly find clips or images from other productions if I'm trying to bring up a point, and then I finally have to edit all of this stuff together into an organized video form. Also, I don't have a decent camera to film myself with, nor do I really care about showing my face on video normally, so I can't simply cut to me to use up time, like other video producers can do.

In the end, while I'm happy with the one (decently edited & produced) video essay that I did create & upload to YouTube, I don't have any inkling to ever do such a thing again. I'm fine with simply doing a typed essay & putting it on my blog, even if it does result in it never reaching any sort of real audience, simply because it's just me & my writing, and once I'm done with it, & give it a good proofread, it's good to upload. I definitely have respect for those who go the video route, but it's definitely a much more time consuming path, with only the potential of a higher reward (i.e. more people checking it out).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
AWO x ANN is always a fun podcast~

Last edited by 鏡 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I got the impression that Zac was not against sadness and suffering as such. Instead he is opposed to (or rather does not care to view) what he referred to as the destruction of innocence. Suffering can serve an appropriate narrative purpose. The awakening of an immature character or the redemption of an obnoxious one. However the death or ruination of an innocent character just to make a tragedy always seems a bit pointless.
Mhora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
Yup, Zac, more is more! You sounded more salty than usual today.
FordXanakov

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
The talk of video essayists made me think that having some of the more prominent ones on ANNCast could probably make for a real interesting episode. I do think there are some real smart talented people doing work in that field (*cough* EyepatchWolf *cough*), and it might be interesting to hear about the pro and cons of YouTube, the challenges of working in that format, and comparing and contrasting the work they do with the work ANN does.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:04 am Reply with quote
Not sure if it's just me, but I can't seem to download the episode from iTunes. I tried to direct download from the article and it's not working either. I tried older episodes and getting the same issues. The only thing that seems to work is the media player on the page, when I looked at the source it's not the same url as the mp3 direct download. First time I've had issues downloading episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
vapwaazu wrote:
Not sure if it's just me, but I can't seem to download the episode from iTunes. I tried to direct download from the article and it's not working either. I tried older episodes and getting the same issues. The only thing that seems to work is the media player on the page, when I looked at the source it's not the same url as the mp3 direct download. First time I've had issues downloading episodes.

Hey man, sorry you're having trouble - I can't replicate this error myself, the show works fine in iTunes on desktop and mobile for me, even the preview MP3s load. Can you give me any more detail on the issue you're having? I can send it up to Dan and see if it's on our end.
damee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
vapwaazu wrote:

Hey man, sorry you're having trouble - I can't replicate this error myself, the show works fine in iTunes on desktop and mobile for me, even the preview MP3s load. Can you give me any more detail on the issue you're having? I can send it up to Dan and see if it's on our end.

Just adding I've been having the same issue. I click on the direct download link and it tried to load and eventually times out with a page saying: Anime News Network is currently unavailable

Please try again at a later time.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
Just to throw my two cents in on the video essay thing. I'm not a fan at all. I will read reviews all day long(as long as I have time), but video essays bore me to tears. I've never considered myself a quick reader, but I can easily consume an essay in about half the time it would take to read it out loud. I only follow a couple of YouTube channels, and it is usually because they bring something to the table that makes the video format particularly worthwhile and their videos are usually less than 10 minutes. Longer than that, and I'm not interested. I watch a good number of Sakuga MADs and make them, but other than that, Canipa and Gigguk are pretty much the only channels I follow specifically about anime. Unless I'm taking a long bath or something, I'm just never in a situation where I have more than a few minutes at a time to sit and stare at my screen while listening to someone talk slower than I could read the same thing, and with visuals that serve almost no purpose. If I do have that much time, I'm watching anime.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:18 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
vapwaazu wrote:

Hey Zac, that's ok. Here are some screenshots of the errors. Just tried opening the link on my phone and I'm getting the same issue as PC.

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/2/Ls338u.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img924/6186/fFJEOU.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I personally feel like backlash culture to popular shows that a lot of people like is a bigger problem than fans dropping an imperfect show too quickly. You'll get a series a lot of fans love and then will revisit with much harsher judgment a few months later. I will be interested to see if Devilman Crybaby holds up to the microscope of backlash culture in a few months down the road. On the subject of Made In Abyss, I personally always found the ending especially to be rather optimistic and empowering. If we're talking about cynicism in anime to be fetishy, Devilman Crybaby seems like it takes that breaking down of the destruction of innocence to a much harsher extreme than Made In Abyss, especially with what happens with Miki later in the series.
Sloggett

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
vapwaazu wrote:

It's not working on itunes for me as well. Also no luck from the podcast app on my Samsung phone either. First time it's not worked for me. I can see the episode but it refuses to download. No error messages displaying. I'm also from Australia if that helps?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't reproduce the problem either but I have a hunch and I made a little tweak... did that fix it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
damee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I can't reproduce the problem either but I have a hunch and I made a little tweak... did that fix it?

Kind of.

The direct download link now works if you click on it. But it still isn't working for me in my podcast software. Older eps have stopped working too. I tried unsubscribing and resubscribing using the rss feed but didn't work. and temp work around was to save the mp3 with my browser on my phone and then import it into my podcast software.

Btw I'm using podcast addict on android and I'm also in Australia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2