• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Super Shinsengumi Reimaginings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
..... Touken Ranbu? I mean, it's their swords, not them, but their swords are important characters. Both of the anime adaptations focus on pairs of swords owned by a member (Hanamaru is about Okita's pair, Katsugeki is about Hijikata's pair).
catbot158

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
..... Touken Ranbu? I mean, it's their swords, not them, but their swords are important characters. Both of the anime adaptations focus on pairs of swords owned by a member (Hanamaru is about Okita's pair, Katsugeki is about Hijikata's pair).
Not to mention that the actual members show up in both anime versions. But I guess the list was more for anime featuring the actual Shinsengumi group as the focus/main characters, and you can argue that Touken Ranbu is more an ensemble thing.
catbot158

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
For the poll, I like the Zoku Touken Ranbu choice. "All of them holy crap". Laughing
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Bakumatsu Rock escaped my notice, so I'm glad you mentioned it, because it sounds exactly like my sort of thing. Ridiculousness and all.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Once again, why is Sangatsu no Lion omitted from the poll? It wasn't listed in the OP poll either. Is it because it is a continuing series? It has a brand-new OP and ED for the second half of season two. Why aren't they listed here?
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Did these not get considered since the Shinsengumi aren't the MAIN focus of the given series (yet Gintama made the list): Samurai Deeper Kyo and Brave 10?
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
To this day Bakumatsu Rock is one of my favorite shows of its kind (that is, "fantasy version of real historical Japanese setting with copious amount of pretty boys, optionally singing"). For how ridiculous the setting is, it's actually fairly well thought out, the music is pretty nice in a '90s JRock way, and the show is fully self-aware and doesn't take itself seriously for most of the time. The Shinsengumi intro episode (fashioned after a popular real-life TV show) and the "band sells out" episodes were especially great.

(Too bad we never got a second season based on the second game, which features Commodore Matthew Perry (Jr.) like you've never seen him before.)
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Once again, why is Sangatsu no Lion omitted from the poll? It wasn't listed in the OP poll either. Is it because it is a continuing series? It has a brand-new OP and ED for the second half of season two. Why aren't they listed here?

All the shows are listed under their localized names.

March Comes in Like a Lion: #2: "orion" by Kenshi Yonezu

is an available choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
I'm half blind, but I think Osomatsu-san ED2 is missing? I'm not seeing it under Oso or Mr. "Otona ÷6 × Kodomo × 6" by The Osomatsu-sans is one of the few EDs to really catch my attention this season.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:41 am Reply with quote
Kaiju Girls 2 is the best ED of this season! GAO!
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

is an available choice.

But that's not the ending theme that's airing that season. Instead it should be:

March Comes in Like a Lion TV2 #2: "I Am Standing" by RUANN
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:36 am Reply with quote
Best ED was also pretty easy for me, but there are a lot of good ones this season. For my top three I choose:
1. After the Rain
2. Kokkoku
3. Overlord II
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

is an available choice.

But that's not the ending theme that's airing that season. Instead it should be:

March Comes in Like a Lion TV2 #2: "I Am Standing" by RUANN

Okay, fixed and added Mr. Osomatsu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote
I voted for the Gintama ED, just because of the animation.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
#861208 wrote:
Not to mention that the actual members show up in both anime versions. But I guess the list was more for anime featuring the actual Shinsengumi group as the focus/main characters, and you can argue that Touken Ranbu is more an ensemble thing.

I agree with Touken Ranbu but only for the Katsugeki version since it heavily featured the swords of Shinsengumi. The MCs ofcourse are the 2 swords of Hijikata... And the latter part focused on Hijikata's backstory. Hanamaru has alot of POV's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2