• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What If I No Longer Like My Old Favorite Shows?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adamanto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:06 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Is the reverse possible? I do not know if I would like Digimon Tamers now, I hated it when it first came out.

Definitely. Couldn't stand Freakazoid as a kid and thought it was incredibly subpar compared to Animaniacs. Rewatched it many years later and loved it. It was probably partially because of it getting a rather bad dub here (Tiny Toons and Animaniacs were subbed), but it's also a show that's received a fair bit of criticism for kinda forgetting that it's supposed to be a kids' show and thus needs to actually be entertaining for KIDS to watch, so I guess there's that.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
^ That happened to me with Animaniacs, a show that came out in my late teens when I was simultaneously too old to enjoy it as a "kid" and too young to get a lot of the less-contemporary classic Hollywood references.

I finally gave Animaniacs a proper chance when I was 40 and enjoyed it a lot more now that I've seen a lot more classic films, or at least I did enjoy it until Teletoon Retro, the channel that was showing old reruns of it, shut down in late 2015.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
Definitely. Couldn't stand Freakazoid as a kid and thought it was incredibly subpar compared to Animaniacs. Rewatched it many years later and loved it. It was probably partially because of it getting a rather bad dub here (Tiny Toons and Animaniacs were subbed), but it's also a show that's received a fair bit of criticism for kinda forgetting that it's supposed to be a kids' show and thus needs to actually be entertaining for KIDS to watch, so I guess there's that.

I think I was around 11 or 12 when Freakazoid! came out, and I really enjoyed it without really getting a lot of the references to celebrity culture. That being said, I definitely agree that there was a lot that would've been incomprehensible to kids, and I knew even then that much of it went over my head (even if I was in middle school by then).

That being said, just as often, it skewered tropes common to superhero stories, particularly those within DC. I had already seen most of the DCAU up until that point, as well as a few live-action superhero movies and some stuff from Marvel, so those I DID get.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5