• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Aims to Extend Copyright Until 70 Years After Author's Passing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
Just because it's not happening now does not mean it won't happen in the future.

Again, that is a RIDICULOUS theory to base policy around. I can make up several ludicrous "possibilities" (some of which DO happen with more frequency than 50+ year old piracy) that would still be dumb to craft public policy around.
Quote:
Also you could use your argument of "And sad as it is to say, if you're not a collector, you probably don't even want to WATCH anime that's over 20 years old." to ask where would the benefit of letting the content into the public domain.

#1. If it goes into the public domain, there's a CHANCE that it gets more attention. So the "positive" is the creator can get more (posthumous) acclaim for their work, vs. the "negative" of (most assuredly) minor financial losses for his/her estate. If you created something, would you prefer that 50 years after your death more people are talking about you or that your descendants (or more accurately, your former employer) gets an extra $10?
#2. If it goes into the public domain, people can LEGALLY make derivative works off of your creation. I'm not personally a big proponent of fanfic (I'm a big detractor in fact), but I know there is a HUGE community of people that enjoy creating alternate stories and/or expanding on the established world. I do think the happiness of the fans is (in this case) more beneficial than the financial largess of the copyright holder. The creator is already dead and had FIFTY YEARS beyond their death to profit off their work. I don't get why people think whoever they bequeath it to should have financial gain in perpetuity.

The ONLY situation I'm aware of where I feel at ALL bad for the "estate" of a creator is JM Barrie who bequeathed the rights to Peter Pan to a childrens' hospital. In that singular case, I can understand wanting them to profit from it, but you know what they did when it expired? They commissioned a sequel which they'd own for the next term of years. And THAT is more beneficial to society because you get MORE works rather than just the same thing forever.

#1 If it's going to be only $10 then it's a price worth paying for a permission slip. Which will make it easier to a quire funds for any sort of remastering project. Not sure the likes of kickstarter will be as effective then as it is now.

#2 this can happen anyway just the main point is that they can not use it to make money that's all.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
All rants about copyright extensions are essentially shut down when people frequent fan translations sites (I do). That said, there is copyright restoration to worry about and trademarks (names, words, and sounds) that further impede the public domain.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
All rants about copyright extensions are essentially shut down when people frequent fan translations sites (I do). That said, there is copyright restoration to worry about and trademarks (names, words, and sounds) that further impede the public domain.

In the regards to fan translations some of us feel we have little or no choice due to regional restrictions and companies making a mess of the release. Also I feel I pay more than my fair share via the 2nd market. Infact would not be surprised if more of my money get's to the creators that way than someone buying a Manga/BDs locally or subscribing to a streaming service.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
#2 this can happen anyway just the main point is that they can not use it to make money that's all.

NOPE, Disney for sure has shut down fan items that were not money related. If you control the copyright, you CAN do that, it's just rarely worth the effort if there's no money involved.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

NOPE, Disney for sure has shut down fan items that were not money related. If you control the copyright, you CAN do that, it's just rarely worth the effort if there's no money involved.

But that's what Disney does but then again who is it that owns the copyrights then if it's the author or their descendants then they're less likely to act on anything. But if Disney owns them then they own them for as long as Disney operates there for much much longer than 70 years.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
But that's what Disney does but then again who is it that owns the copyrights then if it's the author or their descendants then they're less likely to act on anything. But if Disney owns them then they own them for as long as Disney operates there for much much longer than 70 years.

Copyrights are often bought out by corporations, witness the convoluted history of publishing rights to the Beatles songs:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7662519/beatles-catalog-paul-mccartney-brief-history-ownership

(As noted at the bottom re: John Lennon, the 70 year (for now) window still applies after death of the author/artist it's just that a company owns it for that span. So it's not "death of the company", it's still "death of an individual", it just isn't owned by that individual (or his family) Things get more complicated on what is basically a "work for hire" (like a movie) which has many moving parts instead of one creator)
catstigereye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Let see 70 years or two life times. Meaning it’s pointless!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
The Berne Convention min. length for most works is Life+50. However, various copyright maximalist groups love to lobby their governments for longer terms. The absolute worst is Mexico as they have Life+100 but supposedly that doesn't count retroactively. Going with my previous posts, I at least recognize my hypocrisy whereas the House of Mouse doesn't like to say "it's time this work goes into the public domain".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2