• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is After the Rain's Forbidden Romance Worth Rooting For?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryutai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Speaking anecdotally, the first question that usually comes up in conversation when there is a large age gap is "what was [older person] doing with [younger person] to begin with?" The answer tends not to be "they just happened to meet & hit it off." & it's not just when romance is involved. In this instance, the premise is barely legal teenager falls in love with her boss. The question isn't "why might she?" because young love is stupid & all that, but "why would he instigate/reciprocate?" when he's old enough to, in theory, know better.

Normally, that setup is used for a predatory or codependent romance where a naive young girl is overwhelmed by the advances of a suave, sexy older man with questionable intentions &/or a hidden fragility that only she can get through to & fix (& isn't it cool that the desirable older guy noticed me, who is totes more mature & different from other girls, over everyone else?). Here, they seem instead to be going for the adorable doofus - with a son young enough to still "need" a mother - who only she can see the "manly" side of & learns that actually family life isn't all that bad. Funny that an industry run by a lot of single, older men that make shows about teenage girls would be making shows about teenage girls falling in love with likeable, older men.

Akira didn't fall in love with "her boss". Ironically, she fell for him at first sight (given her emotional vulnerability at that time) when he offered her a coffee, while she was his client in the family restaurant. So, the power roles were actually inverse. She decided to work in that restaurant because she was already interested in him, so in this case him being now her boss is completely irrelevant in the romance dynamics.
The main problem here, in my honest opinion, is not even the age gap. She is almost 18, and you are an adult at that age, with all your duties and rights. I find really disturbing how some people think a minor age gap is more acceptable, although they are speaking about cases where the girl is still a real child (someone here spoke about Kodomo no jikan or whatever its title is, I never watched that garbage because in that case the "romance" was actually between a child and an adult. So, what is really important isn't how big the age gap is, but if both the parties involved are adults. And Akira is almost an adult, since she is close to become 18 years old).
The main problem, in Koi Ame, is if Akira's feelings are actually genuine. And I have some doubts about this. How the anime already suggested, she is using this crush as escapism, since she is depressed because of her injury. As a manga reader, I don't want to make any spoiler, of course, but I think this story is way more about healing than romance. The manga is still on going, so the anime will have an open ending for sure.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
45-17=28.
Has it ever been mentioned that maybe Akira was adopted, or not? Wink
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yeah, teen brains are undeveloped crap. That's why we let 18-year-olds vote and join the military. That why the drinking age in Canada is 19. Oh, and hey! They're not fully developed at 21, either, when they are no longer considered minors by the law. Oh, noes! We need to change our laws so that these poor, undeveloped minds are protected! No voting. No military service. No drinking. Stay at home with your folks. Until, that is, you reach the age when your fragile minds are fully developed... that's what? 25ish?

We can't take any chances here. We need to act now. For the good of teens everywhere.

We're specifically talking about whether it's reasonable for societies to be against romantic relationships between fully grown adults and still developing teenagers. I should add that even though it's looked down upon and there are statutory rape laws, technically, kids can get married as young as 14 in many states as long as they have permission from their parents, the court or both. So if someone is dead set on having a relationship with a kid, there are ways to do so legally. So if you really believe kids should be allowed to marry, even if their spouse would be decades older than them, they can do so. Should society encourage it? Probably not.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Ryutai wrote:
(someone here spoke about Kodomo no jikan or whatever its title is, I never watched that garbage because in that case the "romance" was actually between a child and an adult.

It's actually a pretty good series about child psychology; even adult psychology but the romance isn't even reciprocated until Rin becomes a marriageable age and her gap with Aoki isn't nearly as large as the one in Ameagari.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 am Reply with quote
OK. I know it isn't what this show is about but sometimes I wonder like what it would be like at the top and constantly have to wonder whether everyone who approaches you for a relationship wants you for yourself, or for your power. And if there is no one of equal status to you ANY relationship is going to be fundamentally unequal. Does this mean you have to resign yourself to being alone? I mean you can do your best not to abuse your power and try to find people who love you for you and aren't afraid to call you on your bullshit but the fundamental nature of the relationship is impossible to change.
These are the kind of things I think about. I constantly wonder what it be like to be in the other person's position.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4