• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Creator Criticizes Publishers' Attacks on Piracy Sites

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamingsamurai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
For those that are curious, it seems the creator of the "Almost Got Laid Committee" posted the first four chapters already translated into English on his Pixiv site:

https://www.pixiv.net/user/3130738/series/22797
morisato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
The problem with piracy sitesisn't the content that they distribute. Too often, content creators make piracy sites such as torrents as the ones who are distributing illegal content. If content creators were as intelligent as they would have us believe, then their arguments that torrent websites are illegal is a misdirect.

First and foremost, torrent websites do not distribute illegal content, they only host a /torrent file where multiple users across the internet can share a digital file from their hard drives. Torrent websites do not host illegal content nor do they distribute it. They merely provide an avenue where other users can link up and download, upload and share the content they have. ".torrent" files are not illegal.

Second, attacking piracy sites such as torrent sites is often a kneejerk reaction for the failure of the entertainment industry to take responsibility for their company to sell merchandise. Back before torrent websites even existed, the profits and sales of companies often rose and fell, according to the consumers and what they were purchasing. When file sharing came around, it gave content creators a big ugly stick to wag their fingers at and to blame others for the failure of their own companies to adapt and change.

It just reminds me of the age old adage about the shell game. While the game master is trying to keep your attention glued to the shells as he moves them across the table, your eyes are never where they should be and the conman has already palmed the pebble, while your attention is diverted elsewhere.

Finally, it's not file sharing that's the problem, it's the fact that their consumers' tastes for manga continues to change and these manga companies have failed to adapt their business strategies to keep up with those changes.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
morisato wrote:
First and foremost, torrent websites do not distribute illegal content, they only host a /torrent file where multiple users across the internet can share a digital file from their hard drives.

Yes, technically, but that's pretty clearly a loophole. If there is, say, a site selling illegal weapons, they don't arrest the website, they go after the humans responsible. Piracy is no different, although it's common for people to assume that shutting down a pirate site will stop the downloading when that isn't usually how it works.

That said, arguments about the ethics of filesharing are one of those things that can only happen in a world where most people believe that capitalism can do no wrong. Piracy rarely has a significant negative impact on sales, and sometimes has a positive effect, especially for things that are relatively unknown with little-to-no advertising budget. The idea that people would always buy if they couldn't download is mostly a myth, and the minimal truth to it comes from outdated business models.

But the anti-piracy fervor isn't really about money, at least not in the short term. It's about control. It can't cause meaningful harm to individual franchises, but if filesharing became too popular it could threaten the whole entertainment industry. Art and animation would still be produced, just maybe not on a massive industrial profit-driven scale, which is apparently the end of the world. Or, heaven forbid, the industry might have to adapt to a changing world. It's similar to how raising low wages tends to improve service which leads to higher profits, but businesses are afraid to do it because it could give workers more freedom and threaten the status quo in unpredictable ways. So, piracy will continue to get bad press in an attempt to keep it underground. Whether that will continue working remains to be seen.
s0nicfreak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Flip555 wrote:
Eh for me, I always buy the original Shonen Jump and Magazine vols

Where do you keep them all?! I calculated/measured how much room it would take if I had purchased every Shonen Sunday with a chapter of (my long-time love) Detective Conan; it would take up a whole wall of my living room and I'd have to cover a window.

I have no problem paying for manga but after ~30 years of buying it, I'm running out of room. Nowadays when I pirate, I do so because it isn't available anywhere legally anymore (old stuff), or it's not available digitally and I either don't love it enough to dedicate some room to it or know it will be too long for me to have room for the whole series. Magazines, I can't justify the room unless they are a special issue (last one I bought contained Detective Conan chapter 1000, for example). But when I can buy a manga digitally, and especially when I can buy individual chapters (instead of buying a whole magazine to read the one or two series I like, or waiting for a tankobon), I buy the heck out of it.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Quite true on all counts. Yes, unlikely to make much difference because, as in the rest of the world, culture and business are run by stodgy old men. Case in point: XEROX PARC (Palo Alto Research Center) invented the mouse and the graphical user interface. XEROX executives sneered and refused to allow their glorious personal computers to be controlled by something called a mouse. The idea foundered and was embraced/bought/stolen by young Turks Steve Jobs and William H. Gates III. Need I say more? The manga industry will change when the old hands die off and any surviving business are taken over by young idealists.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Funimation and Crunchyroll (especially CR) are prime examples of how to do things. By offering so much content at a subscription rate, at nearly as close to air date as they can get and all in one place they have dealt a huge blow to English anime piracy and killed many fansub groups. The only shows that really get fansubs these days are ones not picked up, those picked up by places with a big release delay, netflix and ones with controversial sub option where people are not happy with the official ones.

Manga publishes need to come together and figure out a way to offer a similar service. Most Manga if I am not wrong are created digitally these days anyway so it should not be that hard to have digital copies.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
@Hoppy800 Now your argument is can be deconstructed as taste is subjective, but for the releases part is true. There is so much manga and lns being released, so the best step is to pre-review manga and Lns and have a website that mostly has a lot of titles.
Niello

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Generally agree with his view, but I really do prefer the plastic cover to stay intact. Instead, provide the bookstores (at least the major ones) with a sample copy for customers to take a look.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of Shueisha's Jump+ app that had digital-only series like Astra Lost in Space and ElDlive (terrible English title) but I could understand the complaint that it's very limiting.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Morisato wrote:
Second, attacking piracy sites such as torrent sites is often a kneejerk reaction for the failure of the entertainment industry to take responsibility for their company to sell merchandise. Back before torrent websites even existed, the profits and sales of companies often rose and fell, according to the consumers and what they were purchasing. When file sharing came around, it gave content creators a big ugly stick to wag their fingers at and to blame others for the failure of their own companies to adapt and change.
Yes, profits and sales fell according to consumer spending habits in the pre-filesharing era. But in the post-filesharing era, popularity and profitability have become largely decoupled, to the point where it's a crapshoot of hoping to appeal to enough non-moochers to see success. We saw that with some anime in the mid-00s, where anime like Higurashi that had huge online buzz/popularity from the TV-fansubs completely bombed in sales. Meanwhile, Guyver TV was a surprising sales success, despite receiving relatively scant attention in the fansub scene. Perhaps it appealed to older, more collection-minded fans who wanted something more like the violent 80s/90s OVAs from their early fandom days?

And really, torrent sites are passé as piracy boogeymen these days, compared to bootleg streaming sites. They're like e-mail compared to Facebook, or perhaps Facebook compared to SnapChat/Whatsapp/etc.

switchgear1131 wrote:
Funimation and Crunchyroll (especially CR) are prime examples of how to do things. By offering so much content at a subscription rate, at nearly as close to air date as they can get and all in one place they have dealt a huge blow to English anime piracy and killed many fansub groups. The only shows that really get fansubs these days are ones not picked up, those picked up by places with a big release delay, netflix and ones with controversial sub option where people are not happy with the official ones.
Greed1914 wrote:
Obviously, there are always going to be pirates who will never be satisfied, but there have been several examples where a change in service made a massive difference. Convincing the production committees to go along with simulcasting put a huge dent in fansubbing. A lot of the fansub groups voluntarily stopped because there was a legal alternative to what they were doing.

The idea that "legal streaming killed fansubbing" is largely a myth. Fansubbers didn't stop because their audience was flocking to legal alternatives; they stopped because their audience was flocking to other forms of piracy, forms that legal streaming made possible in the first place. Specifically, HorribleSubs 1:1 direct rips from legal streaming sites, and to a lesser extent, fan-edits of official scripts on HDTV encodes. But don't take it from me, take it from what the leader of Doki Fansubs said back in 2011:
(can't link the actual post for multiple reasons)

hologram wrote:
So, I've noticed a trend lately. Groups tend to avoid CR shows. I speak with reference to gg changing their entire plans, after CR's line-up was "leaked". I basically want to discuss why this phenomenon is occurring.

If we fansubbers really want to sub what we like, then external factors (other groups, CR, etc) surely should not influence what we choose to do.

However, I believe the inherent problem is not CR itself, but HorribleSubs and co. HS will rip CR and release it immediately after it streams, fact. There is absolutely no way in hell that any fansub group, no matter how fast, can beat this speed. Groups like gg release pretty fast, 6-12 hours after airing. For that speed, you would want to get a substantial amount of downloads. However, the majority of leechers will get the first thing out, no matter how bad it is. So, even though you release it in under 12 hours, you're only gonna get a couple of thousand downloads, as opposed to the 20k - 30k that you should have got. Which, let's face it, sucks. For that amount of effort to be fast, you're getting such measly download counts, it surely is not worth the effort. That's why I believe that groups avoid CR. Of course, one could argue that groups should do what they want, and don't care about download counts. But let's face it, if this is the case, then why would a group drop a perfectly fine and promising show like Hanasaku Iroha? You could argue, they are supporting CR, by not picking up their shows. But are they really? Leechers aren't gonna go and buy a CR subscription just because no groups do it, because they're off to download HorribleSubs!

[1 paragraph omitted, see screenshot]

tl;dr
1. Fansubbers do care about download counts, and don't just do what they would like to.
2. HS is killing fansubbing.

There were speedsubs in the pre-legal-streaming/pre-HS era, but they were generally bad enough that enough viewers were willing to wait or re-download from better groups. HS changed all that by providing instant releases with adequate subs. Ironically, HS was originally spawned by (in)famous fansubbing group gg -- the calls were coming from inside the house the whole time!

Similarly, if manga publishers team up to provide a universal reader site with DRM-free downloads, as the "piracy is a service problem" crowd advocates, we can expect to see more illegal downloads and reader sites fueled by reshared legal downloads, rather than scanlations or direct scans of JP magazines and book volumes.

dark_bozu wrote:
2) Make a reasonable price - you would sell much more and make people more satisfied if you would charge 1-1.99$ per volume instead of 10$;
I agree with HeeroTX that physical book prices and eBook/digital prices shouldn't be exactly equal, but is 80-90% of a book's value really derivable from the ink, paper, glue and shipping/warehouse costs? IIRC, niche industries like anime/manga have demonstrated relatively inelastic demand in the past, i.e. reductions in prices have not produced proportional increases in sales. Dropping prices that drastically feels more like the industry surrendering to pirates ("May as well salvage what we can before the ship goes down!") than competing to maintain the same levels of quality, quantity, and overall health they once enjoyed. Setting the digital prices as "same as paper books, minus printing/distribution costs" would strike me as more reasonable.
katscradle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Also knowing how popular a series is on scanlations can help legitimate publisher's know what other markets are interested. Seven Seas does surveys asking what they should try and license, people wouldn't know what to suggest to them without Scanlations and pirates.

Someone doesn’t have to use piracy to suggest a license to a publisher. Someone could have seen an adaptation that was official translated and then became interested in the source material. Someone could just like a creator that has had a title officially released in the language and want more so they found what other works the artist has created. Someone could have read or simply bought an official edition that just isn’t in a language they would like it in. Someone could have learned about an unlicensed title from someone that shared about it via blogs or videos or whatnot but didn’t reference a scanlation in doing so.

I don’t suggest licenses based on piracy. I probably am in the minority because I constantly deal with people who use scanlations. And I don’t have a good opinion about scanlations. Now that also doesn’t negate the fact I think the creator in this article talking about issues with the industry isn’t bringing up some good points. Accessibility and affordability are important issues and can help. But people can’t ignore the harm piracy does either and not try to curb it. Some blockbuster isn’t going to be affected as badly but, in those under-served niches ironically some titles which are well-known are then judged to be too risky for a publisher to take on because of piracy. So they stay that way. I have books on my shelf in this situation. There are even publishers which stopped surveys or weighting fans input as much as they use to because the data they got was too unreliable and didn't reflect in sales data.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yoshida thinks that websites that legally allow fans to read a variety of manga for a set price could provide an answer. He recognized that such sites do already exist, but he believes that the selection of titles offered on such sites remains too limited. He also thinks prices for access to digital manga should decrease.

Finally, someone with some common sense!

I like what Yen Press does, posting chapters digitally on the same day they come out in Japan. There are so many manga that I would love to support, but unfortunately they haven't been licensed it. And then these publishers have the nerve to complain about scanlation groups - well are you going to license a particular manga or not? Because if you aren't, let the scanlation groups have at it. Many scanlation groups even respect licenses and stop scanlating something when news breaks that it'll be licensed. There are so many ways to fix this problem, but publishers don't want to fix it. They just want to continue demonizing something. It's their own fault that they're in this mess, by not taking advantage of technology and offering more manga digitally and legally.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:49 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

dark_bozu wrote:
2) Make a reasonable price - you would sell much more and make people more satisfied if you would charge 1-1.99$ per volume instead of 10$;
I agree with HeeroTX that physical book prices and eBook/digital prices shouldn't be exactly equal, but is 80-90% of a book's value really derivable from the ink, paper, glue and shipping/warehouse costs? IIRC, niche industries like anime/manga have demonstrated relatively inelastic demand in the past, i.e. reductions in prices have not produced proportional increases in sales. Dropping prices that drastically feels more like the industry surrendering to pirates ("May as well salvage what we can before the ship goes down!") than competing to maintain the same levels of quality, quantity, and overall health they once enjoyed. Setting the digital prices as "same as paper books, minus printing/distribution costs" would strike me as more reasonable.

I think that I neglected the region prices. Yup, in that case prices should be charged like on steam or itunes.
But yeah - 10$ for ebook is too much. I would rather buy a physical book instead. But if they would charge a 2-5$ per volume (depending on region), I would buy those ebook versions and physical volumes of my favorite manga as well. In the end publishers would got more money and become more attractive than sites with pirate manga (but only in case they would implement previous steps that I mentioned).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
A thing setting such proposals here back is approving hundreds of manga series to have fan translations. However, if they can approve hundreds of anime shows to Crunchyroll or Funi, then they could try a similar thing with manga.

Note: let's not forget that fan translations, outside of fair use, the public domain, or rights-holder approval, are generally illegal and theft/piracy in most cases.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
Kodansha Launches 'Comic Days' App, Online Service for 6 Manga Magazines
Quote:

posted on 2018-02-11 10:00 EST
Subscription service for 720 yen/month allows readers to read manga in all 6 magazines

When ANN reported that initiative, the article received one "Talkback" response.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4