• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yo-Kai Watch Toys Possess U.S. Happy Meals

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Interesting...I thought Yokai Watch was starting to fade out, but this is a good sign!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Interesting...I thought Yokai Watch was starting to fade out, but this is a good sign!

IIRC Happy Meal promotions are planned way out in advance. Yo-Kai Watch recently had its entire dub cast replaced to cut costs.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I would probably say that the happy meals possess the toys, not the other way around.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely shocking to see, especially considering how it didn't do so well here in the States (in the end, Pokémon has proved to be insurmountable in terms of an anime - as well as a Nintendo franchise that isn't Mario or The Legend of Zelda - going mainstream).

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Very awesome news that the Yōkai Happy Meals are coming, but Level-5's decision to have the entire cast replaced has induced polarization among the Yōkai Watch community.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Level-5's decision to have the entire cast replaced has induced polarization among the Yōkai Watch community.

This is understandable since some people liked certain voices and I feel bad for the voice of Whisper since he seemed like he liked playing him as shown on his twitter
Fruitsbsk28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I know a kid who is obsessed with the show and game. He bothers all his classmates about it and they have never seen it. I feel sorry for him because I remember what it was like to be into an anime show that nobody else cared about. The thing is, there's a lot of other shows competing these days. Not even The Lion Guard is popular with kids anymore and the toys are being replaced on shelves quickly. However, Alvin & The Chipmunks was pulling in killer ratings a year or so ago and there's barely any toys in existence. It's just the way of the world...

You can get the Yo-Kai Hasbro toys and the first game for real cheap now if you're a collector though. Silver lining?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Quote:
Level-5's decision to have the entire cast replaced has induced polarization among the Yōkai Watch community.

This is understandable since some people liked certain voices and I feel bad for the voice of Whisper since he seemed like he liked playing him as shown on his twitter

And they are perfectly justified in expressing their disappointment over the cast change.
It's when the community takes their frustration out on the new seiyuu that it becomes a serious problem.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Inner me glad to hear of The Lion Guard going down since I felt it should have been Simba's daughter to be the lead. But they wanted the young boy demographic more.

Sad to hear of the cast for Yo-Kai Watch. Was wondering how it was doing. I think Level-5 should have went slow in the beginning and work its way up depending on how the franchise was doing. But its Level-5, and their track record of handling franchises is rocky.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
They just don't make Happy Meal toys like back in the day. Good for the kids tho.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Inner me glad to hear of The Lion Guard going down since I felt it should have been Simba's daughter to be the lead. But they wanted the young boy demographic more.

Sad to hear of the cast for Yo-Kai Watch. Was wondering how it was doing. I think Level-5 should have went slow in the beginning and work its way up depending on how the franchise was doing. But its Level-5, and their track record of handling franchises is rocky.

If you ask me, they should have seen what Nintendo did with the NES in the 80's. Nintendo test marketed that system in New York in 1985, and waited to see if it was a success before they determined whether or not it would be popular. Same thing with Pokémon in the 90's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1