• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Top 10 Otome Games Available in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirayuri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
Joined here just to post Razz

You should never leave out Quinrose when you're talking about Otome games.
I believe the Alice in Wonderland series are available in english now.. wait, I'll google..

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-10/quinrose-alice-in-the-country-of-hearts-game-released-in-english/.77492

I played the original in Japanese back in 2008, and even then there was English patches for people who downloaded the games, and translation apps available. I liked the games so much I bought the originals. All the georgeous characters.. I like Grey (the Lizard)and Ace the best, and also Blood(the Hatter). I liked that Alice was a no-nonsense, practical girl, the only voice of reason in the crazy Wonderland. At the start she ignored the white rabbit running saying he was late and jumped into the hole. Peter the White Rabbit had to push her into the hole to get the story started. And she was always low-tension and sarcastic. There were times that you play with the trump cards, like Blackjack.

Then I got into Crimson Empire. While Alice was nice thdt the main character is a teenager, this one's a mature woman, and a battling Maid at that.
Quote:
From the time she was sold into servitude as a young girl and told by a handsome demonic figure that she had a destiny to fulfill, Sheila’s childhood was anything but easy. After joining an assassin’s guild to undergo rigorous training, Sheila is later taken in by the dashing Prince Edvard to serve as both his housemaid and bodyguard. As skillful as she is with a blade, Sheila hasn’t a clue when it comes to courtly romance. While she uses her talents to help Edvard win the throne, can she stave off the many admirers who vie for her heart...

Well, of course I cleared all targets' routes, but I liked that I needed to go to the dungeons and sell the booties for money, donate money to church to maintain my (or really Edvard's) popularity with the mass, (church's BGM was so sarcastic), fight in the Imperial matches etc.. you don't just always visit the guy, because then it'd be Bad End. Well, a kingdom's rise and fall are always bloody, hence for the name. My favorite guy here is Justin, the first prince. It was always funny seeing how Edvard and Sheila (protagonist) played him around, wahaha.

There are other games from Quinrose, but Am getting tired now, so that's all. As Quinrose is gone now, you can get the game from otomate. All i can say is if you decide to try your hand at crimson empire, get the pc version, it's easier to save and load.

Oh, and do try testing different names for your character when playing Quinrose games. It gave out different messages when you typed in Quinrose games characters, and even Quinrose itself. I forgot what i typed in for crimson empire, but i got extra pockets for myinventory (going to dungeon, storing presents). And for the sequel i think, or was it Alice's series? The name you typed triggers 100 percent stills and scenes that can be viewed Cool [/i]
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Shirayuri wrote:
Joined here just to post Razz

You should never leave out Quinrose when you're talking about Otome games.
I believe the Alice in Wonderland series are available in english now.. wait, I'll google..

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-10/quinrose-alice-in-the-country-of-hearts-game-released-in-english/.77492

I do enjoy the Quinrose Alice franchise (Julius all the way), but the official English version of the first game is both terribly translated and pay-per-route. I wouldn't really recommend it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
If you were open to adding Western otome games, you missed the big one: Long Live the Queen by Hanako Games. It has some possible romance options, but the goal is staying alive to rule your kingdom while everyone and everything is out to kill you. It's like Princess Maker (or like the original Angelique) on steroids and a serious case of morbid humor. They also have Little Lily Princes which is a cute as #$@ A Little Princess Based girl love game, and Magical Diary.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
7PhoenixAshes wrote:
If anyone is looking for a really good *FREE* otome game, try out "Cinderella Phenomenon" on Steam. It's well-written, the art is lovely, and the female MC has a lot of personality and really grows as a person over the course of the game (and yeah, the guys are all pretty great, too).

The only one on the article list that I've played is Hakuoki on the PSP. I keep meaning to pick up Kyoto Winds in order to try out all the additional routes - I'll probably wait until Edo Blossoms is out, though.

Thank you for the recommendation! I've been curious about otome games and decided to try this one. Already played through the good and bad ending of one route, and the good of another! It is a great game, can't believe it's free!
Still alive

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
I agree with most of the choices(haven't actually play some of them tbh) and I know this article was made awhile ago but still.
I think some Shall We Date games should be up there.
Such as Blood in roses, Ninja shadow, Wizardess Heart+ and others games that you guys should check out Smile
(Personally i think they all have improved, the art and story plots) although it really bugs me that it takes like FOUR hours to get ONE ticket.
[/list]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2