• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Royalty Payments to Anime Industry Have Surpassed US$100 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
"The website launched in 2007 as a streaming service offering anime titles without authorization," - funny way to say "pirate site". They've been good as a whole but I still think they should've been properly punished.

This article is just a big fluff piece that gives far too much credit for CR. This twitter thread from Daiz explains it well. https://twitter.com/Daiz42/status/963867093358796800

Most laughable to me is how they claim to be transparent. Lastly, the site itself has barely improved quality much over the years. They have a lot of work to do.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Huh, never realised it started out as an unlicensed site. This highlights the important balance I feel this community needs. Yes, piracy is a thing and it should be a thing, otherwise many new fans won't join up. Those who don't have Netflix or those who want to try shows that aren't on there, they aren't going to pay right off the bat. Piracy is unfortunately necessary to get fans in that way.

However, once you have enough money, and once you're deep enough down the rabbit hole of this fandom, that's when you switch to legal services. Arguments about blu rays being the 'only' way aside, every little bit helps.

I agree. Personally glad that piracy had happened, it enabled a system where people could contribute without throwing all in. Spotify, Crunchyroll, etc are great systems that I believe would never have surfaced without industries being struck with the notion that people aren`t necessarily malign but rather don`t want to or can`t throw dollars everywhere.

On Topic:

Good job Crunchyroll and us! the users.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, a 100 mil. Not too damn shabby. Way to go, Crunchy!
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Even with Netflix and their abyssmal anime releases in the west there is literally no reason for piracy to exist anymore. There are simply too many services.

Unless you live outside North America seriously people need to think about one thing when discussing Piracy and that is...

Do they Live outside of North America?

As Gabe.N says Piracy is a service issue not a sales issue.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
So 10 mil a year if we want to simplify it. That´s not much. The IP holders, let´s just assume it´s only 1 studio, could produce 3 episodes of a mid budget CW show as the later Arrow seasons of that money. Or another The Wind Rises (minus promotion cost and so on) if they waited 3 years to collect. Let´s hope that the profit margins go up. Like way up.
The gender balanced user base is good to hear though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
So 10 mil a year if we want to simplify it. That´s not much. The IP holders, let´s just assume it´s only 1 studio, could produce 3 episodes of a mid budget CW show as the later Arrow seasons of that money. Or another The Wind Rises (minus promotion cost and so on) if they waited 3 years to collect. Let´s hope that the profit margins go up. Like way up.

That amount is probably much higher in the most recent fives years than in the first five years, so splitting it into $10 million per year doesn't take into account CR's growth.

And an article from a few years ago about the expense of an anime season suggested that the price ranges from between $1.2 million and $2 million per season [so even $10 million per year can make a pretty big difference]:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-08-13/anime-insiders-share-how-much-producing-a-season-costs/.91536
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
With how much royalty payments they've made to the anime industry it is quite clear CR are raking in the dough, maybe they should use that money to give their site and apps some serious TLC.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
So 10 mil a year if we want to simplify it. That´s not much.

That's certainly simplifying it. I would bet 90% of that 100 million has come since 2013, personally.
I've run some numbers, just for the hell of it, and individual shows can range quite a lot as far as what they get in royalties based on standard rates(no idea if that's what CR pays or not though), some getting like $5k per episode or less, while some are getting as much as like $75k per episode. Not too shabby, in those cases.

Sobe wrote:
Not to be crass but aren't a few of you getting ahead of yourselves? The article only states the royalties were paid to the industry. There's no information on how much actually went into the pockets of the actual staff literally working on the anime.

I'd like to know which anime received how much in royalties and what portion of those said royalties were distributed to the creators and their immediate staff.

These royalties are going to production committee members, just as any other license royalties are. They are working entirely within the bounds of the current Anime Industry. This isn't revolutionary, but it's become a source of revenue that the industry relies on, just like the streaming royalties from any other legal site. Something to be proud of, certainly, but they aren't doing philanthropic work here. It's just economics. You seem to think this is something else entirely.
And while I would also love to have that information, there is no way in hell that Crunchyroll could ever share that level of private financial information with the public. Even if they wanted to, it would burn so many bridges on the Japanese side they would likely struggle to ever pick up another license.

Narutofreak1412 wrote:
Anyone remembers the good old times?

https://web.archive.org/web/20060810072835/http://www.crunchyroll.com:80/about

Man, this site accomplished so much, It's really amazing!

Yeah, that's a pretty amazing flashback through time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
Anyone remembers the good old times?

https://web.archive.org/web/20060810072835/http://www.crunchyroll.com:80/about

Man, this site accomplished so much, It's really amazing!

Dude, I joined CR in 11/2007. I actually miss their old catalog* because they had so much more variety. They even had a number of uncensored fan service shows.

*I think it was between Thanksgiving 2008-1st week of Jan. 2009 that the great purge period happened. When they started to remove the episode links. Today, if you type in 1 of the above 3612 titles in the Search bar, it will display the title but that page will say "Note: There are no videos for this Series. This page is only for discussion and informational purposes." However, a number of the above titles have returned then maybe re-removed from CR because it was added by 1 of their partners.

Sources: web.archive.org/web/20081217024621/http://www.crunchyroll.com:80/library/IndexAnime?src=subnav
web.archive.org/web/20081216013859/http://www.crunchyroll.com:80/library/-Unsorted_Anime
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Huh, never realised it started out as an unlicensed site. This highlights the important balance I feel this community needs. Yes, piracy is a thing and it should be a thing, otherwise many new fans won't join up. Those who don't have Netflix or those who want to try shows that aren't on there, they aren't going to pay right off the bat. Piracy is unfortunately necessary to get fans in that way.

However, once you have enough money, and once you're deep enough down the rabbit hole of this fandom, that's when you switch to legal services. Arguments about blu rays being the 'only' way aside, every little bit helps.

Yea but that isn't totally true for every (new) anime out there. I WANT to subscribe to FunimationNOW but due license restrictions I can't get it here in the Netherlands. So in order to watch all simuldubs I've to either download or stream it illegal. Ain't proud of it but if there is no legal way for me to watch it like those who can watch it legally and on time than in my opinion none can hold it against me. And it's not like I'm not supporting the industry.. Since 2013-2014 when i got hooked by anime (funny thing is Avatar the last air bender and Korra made me an anime fan) I spend more than 10000 euro's on collecting classics and new ones. Not too mention I'm a gamer too... poor wallet.

I'm really happy that Netflix is producing and releasing anime on their streaming service. Now i can finally support it like I want too.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:25 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:

Yea but that isn't totally true for every (new) anime out there. I WANT to subscribe to FunimationNOW but due license restrictions I can't get it here in the Netherlands. So in order to watch all simuldubs I've to either download or stream it illegal. Ain't proud of it but if there is no legal way for me to watch it like those who can watch it legally and on time than in my opinion none can hold it against me. And it's not like I'm not supporting the industry.. Since 2013-2014 when i got hooked by anime (funny thing is Avatar the last air bender and Korra made me an anime fan) I spend more than 10000 euro's on collecting classics and new ones. Not too mention I'm a gamer too... poor wallet.

I'm really happy that Netflix is producing and releasing anime on their streaming service. Now i can finally support it like I want too.

This is what I'm talking about every time the subject comes up of legal vs Illegal it's always the Americans who'll talk you down Just because they don't see "this is not available in your country" Just year upon year it feels like Japan just hands everything over to the Americans without a thought of the rest of us. It's even worse when we finally do get stuff it's always missing things like omakes yet sold as "complete"
MF65

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
Araragifeels wrote:
No wonder Yuri On Ice won last year in the anime award. Hopefully, it doesn't get voted as other section and win this year again.

Yuri on Ice won because it was so popular that one year later there's still people like you moaning about it on completely unrelated news articles. But I'm sure we won't hear a peep from you about those pesky women and their voting tendencies when BnHA and MiA wipe out all the awards this year Wink
TheMorry wrote:

This. Even for BD/Dvd releases, when we do get them in Europe, it's usually months or years after it's been released in North America. I do have Netflix and Amazon prime accounts, and I'm happy they're expanding their anime catalogues, but sometimes pirate websites are the only way I can have access to some shows...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Is the money going where it needs to go to or is it making the rich even richer? As we've already established, the amount of money from merchandising outstrips the money made by anime many, many fold (even since Tezuka's time) but the animators see none of it.
That's because the people making it, beyond just the animators, are being paid to make a product, once the product is made their involvement with it ends. It happens in all creative media, only the creator sees royalties as it is their product, and maybe the investors. Sure it can mean that, as you put it, "making the rich even richer". But that is the whole point of investment, no one would invest in anything, not just Anime, aside from maybe some rich Otaku, unless they make a profit out of it.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:55 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:

Unless you live outside North America seriously people need to think about one thing when discussing Piracy and that is...

Do they Live outside of North America?

As Gabe.N says Piracy is a service issue not a sales issue.

You can hardly blame a single service for not having certain title in a competitive, open market environment. It's not an availability problem, is the lack of willingness to spend money on entertainment. In most developed markets, you can legally acquire or access almost the same line-up of titles as in North America.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:07 am Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:

This. Even for BD/Dvd releases, when we do get them in Europe, it's usually months or years after it's been released in North America. I do have Netflix and Amazon prime accounts, and I'm happy they're expanding their anime catalogues, but sometimes pirate websites are the only way I can have access to some shows...

You should consider importing anime from Australia. Sometimes the Bluray releases are the same price as here. Like for example SKip Beat (BD) release was in December over there and its for nearly the same price as MVM that is been released this month. And i got GUndam iron blood s1 for 60 euros on BD. I can send you the website i buy from if your interested at all. No import fee or taxes...

Also madman has each season a sale with BD en DVD under less than 15 euros sometimes even like 5 euros.I spend 200 euros on about 500 to 800 euro worth of anime with that sale..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4