• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Royalty Payments to Anime Industry Have Surpassed US$100 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:30 am Reply with quote
I would love to stop torrenting and stream anime legally or buying it from amazon. The thing is, I live in Saudi Arabia and crunchyroll isn't available here. Secondly, if I ordered a bluray set it will not pass the boarders, because it's considered "unhealthy" Rolling Eyes .
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote
sputn1k wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

Unless you live outside North America seriously people need to think about one thing when discussing Piracy and that is...

Do they Live outside of North America?

As Gabe.N says Piracy is a service issue not a sales issue.

You can hardly blame a single service for not having certain title in a competitive, open market environment. It's not an availability problem, is the lack of willingness to spend money on entertainment. In most developed markets, you can legally acquire or access almost the same line-up of titles as in North America.

Do I detect the inane ramblings of a console proponent because that's what it sounds like. Really this argument has been done to death and revival and death again in regards to games and Steam has proven it's not a sales issue but a service issue. Things like region locks, DRM, and to a lesser extent DLC(in this case omakes) cause piracy not prices. Sorry but this argument is done.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Even with Netflix and their abyssmal anime releases in the west there is literally no reason for piracy to exist anymore. There are simply too many services.

If there was a legal way for fan subs (as in the subtitle files only) to be available to those who bought the Japanese-only releases on DVD/blu-ray to exist, I wouldn't disagree with you.

However even text of fan translations of anime get on the receiving end of copyright infringement. Until there is a legal way out of this I'll disagree with you.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Even with Netflix and their abyssmal anime releases in the w̶e̶s̶t̶ AMERICA there is literally no reason for piracy to exist anymore. There are simply too many services.

There fixed it for you.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
xerox-guy wrote:
I would love to stop torrenting and stream anime legally or buying it from amazon. The thing is, I live in Saudi Arabia and crunchyroll isn't available here. Secondly, if I ordered a bluray set it will not pass the boarders, because it's considered "unhealthy" Rolling Eyes .

Yeah, that's really lame. Sad
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
I see a lot of people asking if the money is going back to the right people...

But you have to realize something very important... and it applies in more cases than just anime, like for example, video game developers.

You can't send money back in time. The product is already made. The people who worked on it where already paid for their work. Just because the project was successful doesn't mean that the people who worked on the project are just going to get some random bonus. I see this when people talk about "supporting game development" in games that have subscriptions or other payment models... but the reality is that your money is not being translated into higher quality for the product.

The money is (supposed to be) going towards future projects.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I see a lot of people asking if the money is going back to the right people...

But you have to realize something very important... and it applies in more cases than just anime, like for example, video game developers.

You can't send money back in time. The product is already made. The people who worked on it where already paid for their work. Just because the project was successful doesn't mean that the people who worked on the project are just going to get some random bonus. I see this when people talk about "supporting game development" in games that have subscriptions or other payment models... but the reality is that your money is not being translated into higher quality for the product.

The money is (supposed to be) going towards future projects.

It is also compensating the production committee for paying the anime studio (and staff) at a loss. Only until the streaming royalties and profits from home video and merchandise have made up for the cost of producing the anime, does it go into future products.

While I think it's good news, I dunno, $100 million doesn't sound like much. A big budget two cour show costs in the over-$7 million range. And that's at current low wages. So it would be half a cour and we might assume half that for less animated show. And we have 200 shows a year.

I guess it's just one small source of revenue and you need it to trickle in over long period of time. That's why I wish some titles wouldn't expire so quickly on CR.
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:55 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
So 10 mil a year if we want to simplify it. That´s not much.

Royalties are paid out as a dividend when the revenue received exceeds the original licensing cost (keeping this simplified). $10 million may not seem like much, but CR has only 1 million paid subscribers making this is exceptionally huge.

CR's sub and ad models working together in a niche market clearly demonstrates profitability.

Royalties are contract bound, and not every title may carry them. Some publishers may even drop the license fee in exchange for a larger share of the royalty.

Had publishers done this when the internet was developing, rather than trying to fight the change, this number would have been larger. Regardless, it's clear the industry is doing well.

2017 was a "record breaking" year for anime in terms of revenue.

2018 is expected to break this record.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:

2017 was a "record breaking" year for anime in terms of revenue.

10 million is 0.04% of 25.5 billion. Something tells me this money wasnt a big contributor to that
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:11 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Even with Netflix and their abyssmal anime releases in the west there is literally no reason for piracy to exist anymore. There are simply too many services.

Unless you live outside North America seriously people need to think about one thing when discussing Piracy and that is...

Europe (germany in particular) gets more manga releases than America does, and Europe's anime releases are very close behind nowadays - sometimes we even get series first.
America isn't some grand utopia of anime lololol.

Anyway, I don't think anyone's particularly talking about old, unlicensed shows; but there isn't any need to pirate modern anime anymore, no matter what.

Lord Oink wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
There is literally no reason for piracy to exist anymore. There are simply too many services.

Unless you wnat to watch Pocket Monster, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, Danball Senki, Yokai Watch, Doraemon, Keroro Gunsou, Rockman, Crayon Shin-chan, Pretty Cure, Pripara, Jewelpet, or any of the other series that are either never picked up/cancelled/censored dub only.

I don't know about the others, but Crunchyroll has almost the entirety of every Yugioh series uncensored.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Europe (germany in particular) gets more manga releases than America does, and Europe's anime releases are very close behind nowadays - sometimes we even get series first.

Anyway, I don't think anyone's particularly talking about old, unlicensed shows; but there isn't any need to pirate modern anime anymore, no matter what.

Odd I don't get that vibe from my Friends in Germany then again it's the curse of living in the Anglosphere.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:04 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Odd I don't get that vibe from my Friends in Germany then again it's the curse of living in the Anglosphere.

In the UK we get the exact same manga releases as the US (no localisation/reprinting, they just send the US releases here), and there's tons of series that get passed over for english releases that do get released in germany. That said it depends on your friends' tastes, because it is mostly shoujo manga, from my observations.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

In the UK we get the exact same manga releases as the US (no localisation/reprinting, they just send the US releases here), and there's tons of series that get passed over for english releases that do get released in germany. That said it depends on your friends' tastes, because it is mostly shoujo manga, from my observations.

I was mainly talking about Animé but when it comes to Manga it's a bit of a mess. You either find vols 1, 2, 4, 5 etc and never find Vol 3 ever and if you want to read anything older you're stuck with some cheaply bound omnibus edition.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
I don't know about the others, but Crunchyroll has almost the entirety of every Yugioh series uncensored.

I just checked it out. Seems they're missing half of Duel Monsters, and Zexal is entirely dub-only. Didn't see a sub option for it anywhere. Aside from that, they have the rest, but they use the American names, like in JoJo for the stands. Ugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4