• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Royalty Payments to Anime Industry Have Surpassed US$100 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
I don't know about the others, but Crunchyroll has almost the entirety of every Yugioh series uncensored.

I just checked it out. Seems they're missing half of Duel Monsters, and Zexal is entirely dub-only. Didn't see a sub option for it anywhere. Aside from that, they have the rest, but they use the American names, like in JoJo for the stands. Ugh.

Yeah that's another pet peeve of mine the amount of nonsensical name changes with WORKING! being one of them. Also the lack of Omakes they always leave them out.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
I don't know about the others, but Crunchyroll has almost the entirety of every Yugioh series uncensored.

I just checked it out. Seems they're missing half of Duel Monsters, and Zexal is entirely dub-only. Didn't see a sub option for it anywhere. Aside from that, they have the rest, but they use the American names, like in JoJo for the stands. Ugh.

They use the dub names in the episode descriptions, but original names for the actual subs (for Arc-V and 5D's; there's no dub names for Vrains yet as far as I know). Still weird, but better than having the names in the subs changed.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
They use the dub names in the episode descriptions, but original names for the actual subs (for Arc-V and 5D's; there's no dub names for Vrains yet as far as I know). Still weird, but better than having the names in the subs changed.

Well, I watched an episode of VRAINS and they still used American names in the show itself. Blue Angel called Bloody Mary "Crimson Heart" in the subs which is her American name
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Puniyo wrote:

Well, I watched an episode of VRAINS and they still used American names in the show itself. Blue Angel called Bloody Mary "Crimson Heart" in the subs which is her American name

Ah yeah, the cards, you mean. I was thinking of character names- Yeah, it's common practice to use the localised card names still to avoid confusion, because those are the names the cards you're likely to be buying, even if you're watching subbed.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Yeah that's another pet peeve of mine the amount of nonsensical name changes with WORKING! being one of them. Also the lack of Omakes they always leave them out.
WORKING! was retitled because of an American series called Working.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
WORKING! was retitled because of an American series called Working.

Horse hockey Three different shows same name it's the same BS reason for JoJo renaming.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Violynne wrote:
2017 was a "record breaking" year for anime in terms of revenue.

10 million is 0.04% of 25.5 billion. Something tells me this money wasnt a big contributor to that

That $25 billion figure is not what matters when it comes to televised anime series. Here's why: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4878630#4878630

A better-specified denominator would be about $2 billion. For the most recent AJA reports see http://aja.gr.jp/english/japan-anime-data.

I'm surprised not to see complaints about Crunchy's decision to focus most of their investments on shows about cute girls given how often people object to moe and the like. You have to guess that tells us something about CR's audience.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
^Yes, in addition to not being able to accurately compare those royalty payments to the 25.5 billion broad industry value, I'm also going to reiterate that unless CR's growth is a lie, there is no way that it's been an even 10 million per year. A conservative estimate of the royalties CR sent to Japan in 2017 is going to be like 25 million. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to $40 million. I don't know how people are figuring that CR was paying the same amount in royalties in 2010 when they had 100,000 subscribers as they are now when they have 1.3 million.

As far as CR getting involved in cute girl stuff, I have to wonder if that's not just because they were cheaper projects to be involved in and they seemed like things that would do reasonably well on the service. Things that CR would rather see exist and be useful to add to their catalog, rather than not existing at all.
I think it's probably fair to say that CR's audience is more likely to dig moe otaku stuff than the audience on Netflix or Amazon is, but the really popular stuff on CR, based on their popular list as well as episode ratings, is still the action stuff, the shonen stuff, the seinen action stuff, etc. More or less what you would expect to be popular in the west. I'd have to imagine that Japan knows that and would make CR pay a bunch more to be involved in one of those shows though.
Violynne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
10 million is 0.04% of 25.5 billion. Something tells me this money wasnt a big contributor to that

Readers keep missing the subject these are royalty payments. Royalties aren't "big contributors" regardless what medium they're distributed from.

Every contract is different, but a typical royalty payout is 2.5% of every dollar.

This is on top of the licensing fee, which is much larger (aka, the "big contributor").
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
@omiya: a way around text-based copyright infringements are episode summaries. That is, take a Wikipedia entry of a movie synopsis but apply to it a series' episode. If there are some screencaps for the summary, I would argue fair use may still apply.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Only 100 million over a 10 year period? That's 10 million per year while Japanese animation studios have a revenues of around 2 billion dollars, so assuming 100% of royalty was directed at animation studios we can say 0.5% of anime industry's revenues from 2009 to 2017 came from Crunchyroll. Today though the fraction is bigger since Crunchyroll growing exponentially from 2009 to 2018. I guess today we can estimate that like 1.5% to 2% of anime's industry revenues are from Crunchyroll.

Also, Crunchyroll pays for manga and live action dramas licenses besides anime so part of the licensing revenues go to other media industries.

Although related: Japanese media industry is all integrated since live action dramas, music, manga, anime, novels and videogames are all parts of media mixes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Only 100 million over a 10 year period? That's 10 million per year while Japanese animation studios have a revenues of around 2 billion dollars, so assuming 100% of royalty was directed at animation studios we can say 0.5% of anime industry's revenues from 2009 to 2017 came from Crunchyroll. Today though the fraction is bigger since Crunchyroll growing exponentially from 2009 to 2018. I guess today we can estimate that like 1.5% to 2% of anime's industry revenues are from Crunchyroll.

Read Violynne's comment please. Other people mentioned it prior, but it seems to have landed on deaf ears. These are the royalties, not the license fees. This is a small fraction of what CR contributes each year. Also, as you sort of alluded to, they have grown exponentially since their beginning, and, as I noted above, what they contributed in royalties in 2017 is going to be significantly greater than 10 million USD. Probably 3 times that.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's true royalties are only a small fraction of total money that goes into the studios. I guess that now Crunchyroll has 100 million dollars in subscriber revenues plus adds must add at least like 50 million, so revenues of 150 million and assuming half of it is contributing directly to Japan's animation studios would imply that ca. 5% of the studio's income comes from Crunchyroll at the upper bound estimate. So I guess between 1% and 5% is Crunchyroll's current contribution to anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
That's not really what I'm getting at, of course there are a lot of revenue streams, but the point is that Crunchyroll pays for these shows up front, which is not included in this 100 million figure. I would bet that the amount they pay in upfront license fees is significantly larger than the amount they are sending back through royalties. So, we're just seeing a small part of what CR is contributing.
Also, whether it is coming from paid subscriptions or ad-supported views, is actually irrelevant. Each view of a specific show equals the same amount in royalties to Japan. What we need to look at is: 1)how much does it cost to license these shows in the first place, and 2)how much does each view provide in royalties.

Just throwing random numbers out:

Let's say CR licensed 150 shows in 2017, with a pretty conservatively estimated average upfront license cost of $10,000 USD per episode. Overall, that is probably going to be somewhere between $18,000,000-$27,000,000 USD over the course of the year. I'm pretty sure it's more than that in reality, but you get the idea.
At the very least, they are likely paying as much in license fees as they are in royalties, and most likely more like double.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4