• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is It Worth Collecting Anime On VHS?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
TravellinMatt77 wrote:
VHS is the only way I can watch the Streamline dub of Dirty Pair: Project Eden and the Fox dub of My Neighbor Totoro--both all-time favorites of mine. So I still have a soft spot for the format Smile .
I got the impression the Streamline VHS of Project Eden had better audio fidelity than the copy of the dub Rightstuf included on their DVD release.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Never seen the dub for "Elf Princess Rane" (or, "Fairy Princess Ren," as fans used to call it prior to its licensing), but if they pulled that one off successfully, I'll bet it was a blast!

Rane's dub came from an age of uneven quality in script and performance, but by and large it worked quite well. I have a great fondness for this dub from my early fandom, and even today I can still recall many a hysterical line. I have the DVD, and I'll never part with it! It's a shame Discotek hasn't picked it up.

As for VHS, I had perhaps 150-200 tapes back in the day, and can still remember the "picture" boxes of many series. I scrapped the tapes as DVDs became available for show after show, and lost what remained when I moved in 2009 and the tapes proved far too heavy and bulky. The only title I still miss is The Adventures of Kotetsu, hysterically bad dub and all! Anyone else out there remember it?

Last edited by Ouran High School Dropout on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:37 am Reply with quote
I actually threw most of my anime on VHS in the trash. Although I did sell the rare uncut version of Violence Jack on Ebay for a few hundred, I don't remember the exact price but I wasn't aware and started it low. I'm glad I didn't throw those away.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout Wrote:
Quote:
The only title I still miss is The Adventures of Kotetsu, hysterically bad dub and all! Anyone else out there remember it?

Yes, I still have it in a box in the back of a closet.
Violynne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Is that a typo? 26 episodes at three per tape would be 9 tapes.

It's not a typo. Many had only 2 episodes per tape. It didn't help most anime was sold on the cheapest VHS tape companies would buy, which made collections difficult to keep.

The tape degraded with each play, and oxygen degrades the iron in the tape. I can't recall the number of times a tape would get chewed up by the machine.

The day I trashed my (thankfully) small VHS collection was a good day. It's amazing how many DVDs can be stacked per VHS tape.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
@Violynne

Actually that was a typo (since corrected). He initially reported 79 tapes for a 26 episode show which would be about 1/3 an episode per tape not three per tape for 9 tapes.

I started buying anime during the VHS era. I had a largish collection which I eventually disposed of at about $0.75 a tape for those I could sell. Two episode tapes in my experience were limited to early OVAs. As I said above most TV series came out on a mix of three and four episodes a tape for eight volumes.

Interestingly, they carried the eight volumes for a 26 episode series into the era of the DVD singles. The last I remember getting that way was Moribito. The initial run of that series also came in odd hard plastic cases like large CD jewel box cases. They were pretty but also rather brittle and broke easy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5