• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Indestructible Studio Gainax: Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
There are two things I could see from the video of Daicon IV(?) --
1) This was very much from the era before Japan really started caring about enforcing international copyrights on entertainment IP's, wasn't it? It wasn't until videogame sales and anime licensing became BIG, BIG international business they started caring about that, right?
2) While this ISN'T the first time I've seen Star Wars parodied or drawn into anime, it's pretty blatant the copying to the point that "parody protection" doesn't really apply. ...

I think they could get away with using non-Daicon IP because it was shown at an Osaka science fiction convention and then was not officially released. It probably wasn't high profile enough to interest a company's legal department. I doubt that an established anime company would have released something that used the IP from other companies like the Daicon films did.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
Really neat article, can't wait to read the rest!

If anyone is interested, I highly HIGHLY recommend reading Lea Hernandez's bio-webcomic from Boing Boing back in 2013: Bani Garu.

It's a short comic (14 pages) about Hernandez's short time working as an American for GAINAX's merchandising division.
KithKanan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
vanfanel wrote:
Nice article, but Osaka's nowhere near the equator...

Close enough to have a hot, humid climate. The US equivalent would be the North Carolina coast - which (trust me on this, I grew up in NC) is very hot and very humid.

A lot more affects that than just closeness to the equator though. I live about 40 miles north of Osaka (plus several thousand miles east) on the central coast of California, and it's not particularly 'hot and humid' here. The humidity in Japan even in October caught me by surprise - I pretty much forget humidity is a thing and was packing for 'well, the temperatures look slightly cooler over there than they are here right now, so my normal year-round attire of jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie if it gets cold should be fine.'
KithKanan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:
There are two things I could see from the video of Daicon IV(?) --
1) This was very much from the era before Japan really started caring about enforcing international copyrights on entertainment IP's, wasn't it? It wasn't until videogame sales and anime licensing became BIG, BIG international business they started caring about that, right?
2) While this ISN'T the first time I've seen Star Wars parodied or drawn into anime, it's pretty blatant the copying to the point that "parody protection" doesn't really apply. ...

I think they could get away with using non-Daicon IP because it was shown at an Osaka science fiction convention and then was not officially released. It probably wasn't high profile enough to interest a company's legal department. I doubt that an established anime company would have released something that used the IP from other companies like the Daicon films did.

Not to the same degree anyway. Urusei Yatsura's 5th Opening, "Rock The Planet" https://youtu.be/96mZc82fYGc homages pretty shamelessly, but that's different than what Daicon IV does.

That said, it's surprising how much Daicon merchandise General Products/Daicon Film actually did produce over the years, including (somehow?) the Laserdisc. I have the damn thing and I still don't know how the hell they managed to get away with producing at least two distinct pressings. Sure, it says "Not for sale" on the cover, but I have a hard time seeing 'we charged 16,000 JPY for the liner booklet and threw in the LD as a gift' fooling anyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2