• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Macy's Franxxgiving Day Parade

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Zac was on fire this week, very funny stuff!

As a self-titled world's foremost expert in CGDCT™ series, I think Jacob just didn't want to admit that it's the best way to describe these shows when he was looking for a new genre title. Shirobako is just cute girls making cute anime while dealing with their day to day lives. Don't think too hard about it, CGDCT is just a more varied and thematically rich genre than you wanted to admit :-p

See, I think there's an important distinction to be made in terms of audience. Regardless of quality, the audience for A Place Further than the Universe is not the same as the audience for Slow Start. The audience for Sakura Quest is not the same as the audience for Gabriel DropOut. There are key genre and tone differences that make it extremely difficult to put them under the same umbrella, and when people say CGDCT, you think of stuff like Slow Start and Gabriel DropOut first. So I think trying to establish a subgenre label is fair. Doesn't mean they aren't all technically CGDCT, but like you said, that's a varied space, and in this case the variation results in an extremely different demographic spread. When you talk about "action anime", there's a big difference between "mecha action" and "shonen action" series in terms of appeal and expectations too, so more specific language helps.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
See, I think there's an important distinction to be made in terms of audience. Regardless of quality, the audience for A Place Further than the Universe is not the same as the audience for Slow Start. The audience for Sakura Quest is not the same as the audience for Gabriel DropOut. There are key genre and tone differences that make it extremely difficult to put them under the same umbrella, and when people say CGDCT, you think of stuff like Slow Start and Gabriel DropOut first. So I think trying to establish a subgenre label is fair. Doesn't mean they aren't all technically CGDCT, but like you said, that's a varied space, and in this case the variation results in an extremely different demographic spread.

I feel as though there's a very real danger of sliding down a slippery slope if you're going to use the shows' intended audiences to categorize them. I mean, I'm a big fan of Anne Happy, and I also like Kiniro Mosaic, and I would argue that both of those shows are explicitly made for anime fans with my particular preferences... but at the same time, I wouldn't say I'm in the "target audience" for Gabriel DropOut or Is the Order A Rabbit? Yet, I would be hesitant to say that the latter two shows occupy a distinct subgenre that doesn't also include the former two. Confused
Saito?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Darling in the Franxx episode 5 made me finally sign up for a proper Crunchyroll subscription. I had to see episode 6 now! It was worth it and then I went back and caught up on Ancient Magus Bride.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
and when people say CGDCT, you think of stuff like Slow Start and Gabriel DropOut first. So I think trying to establish a subgenre label is fair.

I wouldn't actually put Gabriel Dropout in the CGDCT subgenre at all if we are categorizing it like that. It's a comedy that is based around a bunch of sh*tty characters, mostly doing really sh*tty things to each other that are supposed to be funny. It's much more in line with something like Konosuba than Slow Start, K-ON, or anything that would traditionally be considered CGDCT.
In general, I kind of think we already have enough sub-genres within the sub-genre of CGDCT. Some of them aren't specific to CGDCT, but we definitely already have moe-focused CGDCT(Slow Start), iyashikei CGDCT(Flying Witch), comedy CGDCT(Hidamari Sketch), trash CGDCT(Gabriel Dropout/Umaru), dramatic CGDCT(Sakura Quest, Shirobako, A Place Further Than The Universe), etc. I think that's more or less all we really need as far as classifications, but if the community decides there is a need for more, I guess that'll just happen.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I know this is MONTHS after this has been around but I HAD to mention that when he said "imagine Shinji jumped into the Eva and his mom was there are was like 'lets work through your problems' " I legit thought that was really cool and interesting idea.
Eva is fine and all but there IS such a thing as being up your ass by using too many metaphors, implications, symbolism, and inner-psychology. I understood the story just fine but I think it's an excessively complicated way to tell a story. It's understandable to make something so artistic and subtle so that it remains memorable and meaningful for years to come. But at the end of the day, if you can tell a story in a better paced and succinct manner, that's what I see as ideal.
There's so many details left by the wayside, such as details about the last Impacts, details about Shinji's mom, why we should agree with Shinji's decision at the end, how/why(other than for the story) did Asuka live at the end, why are EVAs battery powered if they aren't even entirely machine based, etc.
A conversation between Shinji and his mom at the end of End of Eva would've made things more impactful I think and/more ANYTHING with Shindo
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2