• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fan Criticizes Hakyū Hōshin Engi Anime, Starts Petition Asking for Staff Explanation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that C Station's other work, Yurucamp, doesn't seem to have any of the issues detailed in the article. The staff seems to get exactly what makes the original source click and is doing a great job putting it into animated form.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:26 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I didn't watch the original, but I read the manga a long, long time ago. I've forgot most of the details, but I still remember the gist of what's going on. Maybe that's why I can still sorta follow the story of this new anime, but I get how casual watchers end up confused.

I watched the original when it aired (subbed) on a local Asian channel, and I read the manga as it came out in the US. And I can say hands-down that that's the only reason I was able to even remotely follow episodes 1 and 2 (all I've had time to watch). I can't imagine anyone watching this without knowledge of the source.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:27 am Reply with quote
Ironically, this show was made after the studio set up a petition
Pixel_Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
As much as I agree with the criticism for the new anime, it's a pipe dream to believe the production committee will simply fork over money to remake an anime that's already airing. Money doesn't grow on trees, and criticism by a group of vocal fans isn't suddenly going to make funds appear. If people really want a series done their way, they either have to provide the funds themselves (you either have to be rich already or have won a jackpot) or somehow crowdfund an anime with an agreed upon script, and neither of those are easy for any property to achieve, let alone one that's more than a decade old.

I think it's safe to say that we've all been spoiled by Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
I don't see a problem with the petition. From the looks of it, the person starting the petition was very polite, they didn't go off on any firebrand tirade. While the chances of their criticisms being addressed are slim at best, saying it's pointless to even try is a rather soulless way to look at the world. As noted, it's not just about it being "different" from expectations - it is a truly bad production that does not make a lot of sense either from the storytelling perspective, or the production perspective. Shows that were better than we've got here have had breaks to rework animation and story, so it's not impossible for them to do that here, especially since it would be to take another shot at an existing work. And, unless I'm mistaken, the demand for a pause and refresh is secondary to the desire for an explanation of the choices.

As for the anime itself; I felt confused at first when I started watching the first episode because it felt very abrupt and out of place, temporally. Like I was watching episode two or three of a show that was years old. Part of that was the nostalgia of the fact that I recognized the characters, but not being a real fan of the series, only knew them vaguely as characters from some other anime I watched years ago. The progression of this new series through episodes 2 and 3 does little if anything to remedy that feeling. I personally don't like the binge model, but as this show is going, the only way it might make for a better story is if taken together as large chunks, binge-watching the show once it's run is over.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
I entirely sympathize with the petition and I haven't even read the manga. This anime adaptation is a confusing mess. I finally gave up around episode 5.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Pixel_Crusher wrote:

I think it's safe to say that we've all been spoiled by Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
Even with other less than stellar anime reboots like Sailor Moon Crystal, it's at least possible for a casual anime fan that doesn't have any knowledge of the source material to be able to watch it and not feel confused. And at least Toei went back and fixed most of the major animation errors in the Blu Ray release and the problems weren't so severe that would require starting over from scratch.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm glad that C Station's other work, Yurucamp, doesn't seem to have any of the issues detailed in the article. The staff seems to get exactly what makes the original source click and is doing a great job putting it into animated form.

They haven't produced much, but C-Station is actually a pretty decent studio. I recall checking out Dragonar Academy out of obligation to follow new series adapted from LN, and despite the story (typically) being a mess, I was still impressed by a lot of its visuals.

The studio isn't lacking in animation quality. I think all they need is a proper script.
Cave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
As a long time fan much like the person who made the petition, I definitely agree with her. I also follow the Twitter and see a lot of threats for the composition person to resign and there have even been some death threats. It's pretty crazy.

If they weren't able to get funding for the full series, I really wish they would have done just half of the series instead. First half with hopes of getting more funding later or second half since the first anime does cover a good chunk of the beginning of the manga (it just goes off on a huge tangent, I think around episode 19? and writes its own, subpar but okay, ending).

The thing I hope for is that they don't do a complete do-over, but instead just go back and animate and add-in the missing scenes and then reorder the episodes. I don't think much has been rewritten, but certainly a LOT has been just taken out. I don't think that has been done before, but it would definitely be worth it to create a polished, beautiful work, appease fans, and actually appeal to new fans as well.
Aryaro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Why there is no episode today, i was hoping to watch it, better to get new episode than nothing, this petition really gets on my nerves. They have only 24 eps and still i dont see any raw for upcoming episode 7, what they have done. At this point seriously if studio resigned from making new anime good job petition people .........
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Aryaro wrote:
Why there is no episode today, i was hoping to watch it, better to get new episode than nothing, this petition really gets on my nerves. They have only 24 eps and still i dont see any raw for upcoming episode 7, what they have done. At this point seriously if studio resigned from making new anime good job petition people .........

They aired a special with cast interviews and such instead, according to the twitter feed. It's not uncommon during major events (such as the Olympics).
Aryaro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

They aired a special with cast interviews and such instead, according to the twitter feed. It's not uncommon during major events (such as the Olympics).

Oh thats why ok i will forgive them this time for thier incompetence Very Happy thanks for the info
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2