• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Citrus' Forbidden Romance Trash or Treasure?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokonoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I recently gave up on this show. Once you realize you don't care if the main couple gets married or dies in a fire, it's time to go.

So true. I had high expectations on this show given ANN's ratings, only to be terribly disappointed. I daresay I liked Sakura Trick better.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
same category as "shit on ice"

trash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
Definitely not a show for everyone but clearly not trash, everything about citrus is decent-good, i enjoy the manga and so far this adaptation is better that I was expecting when they announced it. As long you aren't picky about everything it is perfectly acceptable.

İ watch Black Clover.... İ am not even picky

İ still don't watch this, i simply find homosexuals in animes weird. Simple as that, your assumption: crashed
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:24 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Now someone should make yuri version of Fushigi Yuugi where a girl gets transported to another world and has a harem team of other girls fighting for her against some evil doer.
Damn, this would have been heaven for yuri fans but I know that wouldn't happen, ever. Marchen Madchen seems kinda like that but it's just a subtext show. Also, expect that Citrus and the hidden yuri gem this season called Slow Start would be receiving very bad sales soon. Damn. At least I got other upcoming CGDCT shows, Tachibana Triangle and Kase san OVA to look forward to.
MJKS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:35 am Reply with quote
Okay, let's do get into the technicalities of incest.

1. I don't consider Yuzu and Mei's relationship incestuous. There's been a sexual facet to their relationship for almost its entire duration, from when they met at the age of 16. It goes without saying that the manner in which that sexual connection was established is itself problematic; but for a different reason.

2. The notion that YuzuMei is incestuous is essentially predicated on the fact that they cohabitate. So let's game out some alternate scenarios to test that position.
(a) Instead of in their bedroom after being re-introduced to each other as stepsisters, Mei's sexual assault on Yuzu occurs before this point. For argument's sake, they encounter each other in the apartment complex's elevator lobby, before being apprised of their new living situation, and it happens there. The relationship proceeds as depicted in the story afterward. Is this incest?
(b) After some time apart, Yuzu runs into a childhood friend who she always thought of as a younger sister. After spending some time together, the friend professes romantic feelings for Yuzu, and kisses her under questionable circumstances. Is this incest?
(c) Yuzu becomes fast friends with a kindred spirit at school. They develop a bond which might be described as "sisterhood". Eventually they fall in love, and become romantically involved. Is this incest?*

3. I rest my case. Go where your pure gay heart desires, Yuzu, even if it really should be toward Harumin

*Really though, I think you're right, Micchy and Steve. Even as a non-shipper, I'm shipping the gyaru duo. The show totally should be about the two of them. But instead, poor Yuzu is stuck dealing with (a) and (b).

halo wrote:
Quote:
...Citrus is more like a painting of a dumpster fire

This is the single most brilliant analogy I've seen in a long time.

I had taken to thinking of it as "trash, but beautifully-lacquered trash", but a painting does work as well.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote
I have no personal problem with seeing yuri and incest in anime played out if told well enough. However, the core problem I had with Citrus as a whole when I ditched it is that it doesn't respectfully and seriously handle its material as well as the other questionable relationship found in After the Rain. Much like other anime of its ilk, the characters of Citrus are too shallow or unlikeable to give a hoot about with Mei's passive-aggressive interest in Yuzu, with some of her actions bordering on sexual harassment. It also seems the series introduces other characters who mostly exist as selfish characters intervening to attempt getting one of the characters in the main relationship all to themselves, no different from other romance melodramas like it. I have no interest in wanting to continuing on with the series if its characters are unlikable and its developments play out no differently from other romance melodramas I've seen in one point or another in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
So... heterosexual, pseudo-incest stories = trash, "who would watch this"
homosexual, pseudo-incest (with a dash of abuse) stories = "nuanced, not for everyone, but enjoyable if you're into it"

Am I following that right?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
homosexual, pseudo-incest (with a dash of abuse) stories = "nuanced, not for everyone, but enjoyable if you're into it"

Don't lose your sleep over it man. We know how ANN goes. Twisted Evil
Nevertheless it's funny to see a piece of trash dealing with INCEST ( and not just any kind of incest, the homosexual lesbian incest. The best kind, the one that makes you feel that all is right in the world and makes you want to beet down those angry heteronormative males) being hailed as nuanced, special, artsy etc.... Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
This story is 10pence a baker's dozen in hentailand. Rolling Eyes
But one person's trash is another's treasure. It's all in the eye.
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

No, you're not. Steve admitted to actually enjoying Yosuga no Sora.

People on both sides seem generally inflamed by the label "trash," so it may be worth noting here that it's okay to like trashy things. You can enjoy something while admitting it is bad, dumb, or lazy.

My main obstacle for the series is something I vaguely remember Erica Friedman at Okazu saying when Citrus was first coming out in Japanese: Yuzu and Mei's relationship doesn't make either of them happy. I see confusion, depression, maybe a little arousal. Nothing really sells me on why these two should get together, much less why I should care whether they are are not. I mean, I'm still watching, but...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
That's a good point. Their relationship seems relentlessly joyless. Maybe that changes at some point, but too late for me to care.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
The thing that separates this from most "incest" tales is that it's just about as far from being incestuous as you can get and still be a step-sibling cohabitation premise. It's not tolerable just because it's yuri; it's tolerable because it's not framed as cheap fan service trash to titillate people who like seeing taken women black-mailed in to sex by sleazy men, and doesn't feature a pair of biologically related or unrelated siblings who are after each other's asses after [expletive] growing up together--nor is it about an ostensibly well-meaning teen-age boy who feels that his imōto is all he needs.

Citrus begins as a story about an emotionally broken girl--engaged to a piece of shit who wants her family's money and status--who understandably doesn't comprehend what love is and acts accordingly, nearly suffocating her new big step-sister with one of the most disconcerting advances outside of the aforementioned hentai and ecchi fan service dumpster fires I've seen for a while. For Yuzu's part, she is also unaccustomed to what love is and what sexual assault looks like, and hasn't the faintest clue of how to respond. It's displeasing to watch, but I can appreciate what it's doing entirely because it's framed to be as such, and isn't there to get my sleazy fangirl juices flowing. Yes, I understand that there will be some shit viewers with shit taste who will fap to it anyway. Not much you can do about that, honestly.

Now, if you have trouble stomaching that kind of thing, that's okay; I can relate. There's a reason I don't watch netorare, regardless of how aroused I can get. Similarly, I can also understand if the main romantic plot line and its surrounding characters aren't doing it for you. I'm finding it more compelling as a romantic drama than most of its ilk, but even I can already see that it's rather meh in the grand scheme of things and probably won't be moved to a buy, love for yuri or not. But let's not pretend that this is the same thing as any of the other aforementioned backwards trash we consume on a regular basis. Taking that position is basically a short-cut for those who are content with impulsively responding to anything half-way sexual in anime as your usual egregious, garden-variety fan service. Frankly, they'd be better off just admitting that they don't [expletive] care about any of this.

Last edited by Gatherum on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:17 am; edited 3 times in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
The best kind, the one that makes you feel that all is right in the world and makes you want to beet down those angry heteronormative males) being hailed as nuanced, special, artsy etc.... Rolling Eyes

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but this show would be something ‘angry heteronormative males’ would love.

AholePony wrote:
Every episode I wonder to myself: if Yuzu's mom married this guy and he's obviously quite wealthy, and they live in this fancy huge apartment, why in the hell do the two daughters have to share a bedroom?! Why the hell do they only have one bed?! My theory is that the mother and father are some kinda sick perverts that are experimenting on their poor daughters, to what end, I have no idea. Sad

This is Anime, they are lucky to 'have' parents.

Micchy wrote:
She's such a cipher, and I have no idea why Yuzu is supposed to be in love with her.

Welcome to the real world, there are plenty of those mysteries out here. The answer may simply be, that something internally clicked inside of Yuzu, with no rhyme or reason, and love bloomed. Yuzu herself may not even know why. It just is. The mysterious of love, and lots of heartbreak.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Damn, this would have been heaven for yuri fans but I know that wouldn't happen, ever. Marchen Madchen seems kinda like that but it's just a subtext show. Also, expect that Citrus and the hidden yuri gem this season called Slow Start would be receiving very bad sales soon. Damn. At least I got other upcoming CGDCT shows, Tachibana Triangle and Kase san OVA to look forward to.

I'm hoping of what's considered successful for the production committee is significant increase of the manga sales and streaming numbers since Crunchyroll is co-producing Citrus, and that'll determine if this will gets a S2.
Donk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
"First of all, why is this show not about Yuzu and her stealth gyaru friend?"

I couldn't agree more. That would have been much better. I do like the show as is, but it certainly isn't sophisticated plot that's it's strong points. But I didn't expect that either.

But "stealth gyaru" is a fabulous term, and stealth+gyaru should = impossible, but she somehow pulls it off Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3