• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Made in Abyss, My Hero Academia Win Big at Crunchyroll's Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
Having sat through almost an entire month of eight to twelve CR messages a day reminding me of this momentous event, I have to ask:

Is this some actual industry awards for the US companies, or is this sort of like the Nick Teen Choice Awards?
SolHerald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote
Don't worry Little Witch Academia, you're a winner in my heart.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:25 am Reply with quote
I'm still confused how MHA won best animation award when Crunchyroll fucked up the category by nominating A Silent Voice.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
I'm excited to see what show they will shill to death next year.
It was actually surprising that Made in Abyss got anime of the year when My Hero Academia was in that category too.

Pierrot. wrote:
I'm still confused how MHA won best animation award when Crunchyroll fucked up the category by nominating A Silent Voice.

MHA is more popular.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:57 am Reply with quote
No real major shock in regards to the results, I think we all expected at least one show to dominate this year's awards and one show certainly did.

Either way, I look forward to the accusations about how the reactions from this year's dominate winner aren't comparable to last years dominate winner.

Last edited by Swiftyy on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
These are really American tastes though.
I just hope that American businesses just getting into anime will recognize how many different tastes there are in Japanese fandom... but if the people who have been in anime the longest (Crunchyroll) don't realize that, then it would be hard. (Though I get the sense FUNi is aware of it. Viz definitely isn't, though...)

I still think it will be a good thing. American companies like Netflix will produce animation made in Japan for american/western tastes, and people will stop complaining about that Japanese companies don't make enough animation for their tastes.

Japanese companies will continue to make Japanese animation and all the people that love the many different tastes/genres that exist in Japanese animation, will still have lots of anime to chose from.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:02 am Reply with quote
I can't believe Rakugo Shinju won nothing.
It should of won best drama.

Also "A silent voice" lost to My Hero Academia in best animation? Seriously? WTF?
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I'm excited to see what show they will shill to death next year.
It was actually surprising that Made in Abyss got anime of the year when My Hero Academia was in that category too.

Pierrot. wrote:

MHA is more popular.

Then MHA should have won AOTY award considering it's even more popular than MIA. Unless Crunchyroll got involved and changed it to avoid even more backlash.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:08 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Every anime nominated had an equal chance at winning. If you want your favorite show to win, advocate for it on the social media of your choice and get other people to vote for it. Blaming it all on a shadowy conspiracy is just called sour grapes.

There is no equal chance when it's a straight up popularity contest. Shows like MHA or AoT are going to be watched by way more people compared to something like Rakugo or March Comes in Like a Lion.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
I'm happy that Made in Abyss won, I thought it would. I wish Osomatsu had won best OP, all their OPs have been really good. If Little Witch Academia was had a bigger viewership I think that would of won best animation, as it was great not just when it came to having a fight scene, but with everything that happened on screen.

As for the conspiracy theories, I'm betting the Russians temped with the vote to make My Hero Academia win.
Jonny Mendes wrote:
I still think it will be a good thing. American companies like Netflix will produce animation made in Japan for american/western tastes, and people will stop complaining about that Japanese companies don't make enought animation for their tastes.

Japanese companies will continue to make Japanese animation and all the people that love the many diferent tastes/genres that exist in Japanese animation, will still have lost of anime tho chose from.
If things continue as they are with Netflix, I think they just cherry pick Anime that looks like it will appeals to a broader American audience, rather than have a creative input. That's the great thing about original net shows at the moment, anything goes.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Then MHA should have won AOTY award considering it's even more popular than MIA. Unless Crunchyroll got involved and changed it to avoid even more backlash.

My best guess is that AOTY is THE most important category so it must be the one with the largest turnout. Also probably the one category that people really tried to save from MHA.
I don't have any proof to back it up though, it's just a guess.

BlueBeast33 wrote:
There is no equal chance when it's a straight up popularity contest. Shows like MHA or AoT are going to be watched by way more people compared to something like Rakugo or March Comes in Like a Lion.

Speaking of that, I'm actually shocked that 3gatsu could beat Dragon Ball Super, dreadfula s it is.

To add to the not equal chances argument, there's a very clear intent behind shoving the same show in almost every category that it could possibly be into. You could argue that it had "good instances" of what it's nominated for, but that in every single one of those cases there were never at least six shows better at it when we get about 200 shows per year is less than believeable.
Also, what they decide to advertise how much and when also play a big role; and what they set up as the shilled show's competition. "Best villain" was a quite poor selection, for instance.

Crunchyroll wanted My Hero Academia to have lots of publicity and so they set it up so it could get a lot of awards. And that's what happened.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:31 am Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:
Don't worry Little Witch Academia, you're a winner in my heart.

I'll just blame the fact that LWA is not a Crunchyroll series as the only reason why it didn't win a single award. Though it should have won every category it was in.

My Hero Academia is good and all but over-rated.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:30 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

The judges had 50/50 voting power with the popularity vote. MHA has beautifully animated moments. Lots of them. It had some of the biggest highlights last year. The biggest of these highlights were also action moments which stick more heavily then a beautifully animated drama scene.

Also the popularity of a series ever got you so far. Else DBS would have won best continuing series and MHA AOTY. The judges probably had a lot of impact on the results.

Anyway. I think all the rewards MHA won were well deserved. It was an extremly strong contender in everything it was nominated. Its action was top tier, it's characters are easy fan favorties since they are amazing and it had beautful and high quality animation.

AoT wining nothing was the funniest part though. How the mighty have fallen right?

Very fun awards.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
"And after you're done watching Made In Abyss....."
OK, that was a good one. I'll give you that joke.
Much better then last year. Most of the awards were justified. Some were debatable, but all in all a huge improvement over the absolute BS of last year.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
I am a anime fan. Yet I have never seen my hero A. At all ever!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9